Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 months out "HAIR THINNING" OMG

I have locs (dreadlocks) and my hair is thinning so bad. I'm taking my Vitamins every day as I was told. What do I need to do WLS FAMILY

I too am worried about the hair loss. I took Biotin daily along with other Vitamins and minerals before surgery (4 days ago) and hope my Protein intake stays up so I won't experience this but I'm told it's just part of the process and it will grow back. I want to start liquid Vitamins and minerals next week. Good luck.

get a hair, skin and nails product. Puritan Pride has one that is reasonable in price. Biotin is good but this one is better. I had my surgery on 1/04/2014 and have lost a great amount of hair but is growing back. I am told it will grow back thicker. But start with this combo right now do not wait like I did. crush the tabs and put them in juice for better assimilation.

Great advice Bluegrass, thank you very much!!!

I have locs (dreadlocks) and my hair is thinning so bad. I'm taking my Vitamins every day as I was told. What do I need to do WLS FAMILY

Biotin pills and Jamaican Black Castor oil. Also decrease the frequency of your retwist. I only retwist every 4 - 6 weeks. Make sure you are getting in all your Protein as well.

A friend of mine who is 4 years out from her gastric bypass just told me today what to do for hair loss. She said to take Biotin (sp) and zinc. I believe the Hair loss is inevitable though from what understand. I was sleeved on 01/07/15 and my hair is just now beginning to come out in handfuls when I take a shower. Yuck! :wacko:

Not looking forward to this side effect.. My hair is thin enough as it is????

I hate to say it, but there isn't much you can do to prevent it from happening. I started taking Biotin 2 months before surgery, always got plenty of Protein and my hair still thinned. Good news is that is it TEMPORARY! It WILL grow back. I'm almost a year out and I think around the 8 month mark it starting growing back in. In the meantime, go to Amazon and buy a product called Toppik. It is spray on hair fibers that do an awesome job concealing a thinning scalp. A small bottle lasts a long time. Make sure to buy the optional pump applicator.

I take everything in the world for it and it's still thin as ever. I have beautiful clip in extensions that I have had fun with it on days where I just want to feel thick headed. My pony tails are cute.

I am also worried about Hair loss. Thinking of consulting a plastic surgeon about Shampoo with regain? Any thoughts?

A dermatologist might be a better choice for this, but since it's a side effect of surgery and the bariatric diet I wonder if it would work. I'd be happy to hear how it works for you.

I am happy to hear that I am not the only one...and it can grow back! I will be 6 months post surgery on the 8th and have had a lot of Hair loss, but I also started taking a thyroid med after my surgery and thought it was more because of that. I take Biotin but I have not seen a great change in the past 4 months. I will gladly exchange some hair for the 84 lbs weight loss so far! I hope it grows back but if I have thin hair, I can live with that. I would rather have my health any day.

Ahhh the dreaded hair loss. I too have suffered greatly, I think so far I've lost about 50-60% of my hair, and can't wait till it stops. It started at about 2 1/2 - 3 months out, and I'm almost seven months out now and it's still coming out in clumps. I constantly watch people walk by wearing my hair on them somewhere. Washing it is the worse. I took Biotin like crazy, Mega red Omega 3, and every type of Vitamin I possibly could, and out it came. Then there's the person who didn't lose any, not sure why. This too shall end (or so I'm told), but until then, I'll just be happy for the weight I've lost and look forward to reaching my goal.

For me, nothing really stopped the Hair loss except time. I was losing hair from approx 3-6 months out. I have no issues now (11months out). In fact it's nice a full again, however, I have gone to a short pixie cut, just because I can ????