Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Biggest surprise/regrets after surgery?

The biggest unpleasant surprise was the Masonry Poops - I actually do seem to shit bricks. I'm in the "add Fiber and colace" part of trying to get a fissure to go away now. Don't take it lightly when your doctors suggest that you have stuff on hand for post-op for whatever might end up coming out (or not coming out, as the case may be). Use it liberally. Add Fiber. Drink lots. Complain often, lol.

The BEST surprise was how fast all those obesity related aches and pains started going away. My legs and feet stopped aching within a couple of weeks. No more back pain, stairs aren't as much of an issue as they were the FIRST time I was this weight (and I'm still really large), etc.

I'm 12 days post-op and am struggling with "why did I do this?". The past 12 days have been pretty awful. I constantly have heart burn and cannot stomach the Protein powders (only 1 1/2 more days left of liquids though!!!). I'm hoping this will get better! Tell me it does?!?

Hi my name is intodeeprn I had my GS last Jan but I'm now feeling hungry all the time I'm wondering why can someone help me?

It could be acid masquerading as hunger pains. Best thing to do is to call your nutritionist or surgeon. They might recommends a PPI or suggestion several small meals throughout the day instead of 3 big(ger) meals.

I'm 12 days post-op and am struggling with "why did I do this?". The past 12 days have been pretty awful. I constantly have heart burn and cannot stomach the Protein powders (only 1 1/2 more days left of liquids though!!!). I'm hoping this will get better! Tell me it does?!?

Hopefully you have contacted your program about the heart burn. Your surgeon may prescribe a PPI for you to treat that. For most of us it does indeed get better. I used a PPI from day 1, but had some minor issues with acid around 3 mnths. The prescription was increased to 40 mg which took care of things for me. Around 5 mths I noticed I no longer needed a PPI at all. I'm 6 ½ mths and doing well now.

@@Kindle, you are incredibly lucky!

My daughter's surgery has been kind of a nightmare. She's day 13 post op and has experienced so much pain, nausea, depression in those 13 days to last all year. She's regretting it. Hopefully things get better. I think that was the most surprising thing for us. The depression hit extremely hard!

@roundisashape I had to laugh out loud at your comment re 'sh*tting bricks' -- THAT'S A 1000% ACCURATE DESCRIPTION!!!! That is the biggest surprise to me about the surgery -- it looks like most posters here are sleeved; I'm bypass post-op about 10 weeks -- doing really well, but, boy oh boy, the Constipation issues have been horrible. Yes, they mentioned it in pre-op class, on forums, etc., but until you repeatedly experience the trauma of how bad it can get, you just don't get it. Even with all that, which I'm praying to find the solution too asap, I have not a single regret.

PS re emotions - I did burst into tears when hubby and son had a pizza delivered - they asked me if it was okay with me, and I said yes, but when it arrived, Niagara Falls started flowing from my eyes

Hi all, I had my issues starting the first week home with not pooping - let's be frank here. I didn't want to take an oral liquid laxative (works too slow) so with the sanction of my doctor, when needed, I use glycerin suppositories. When I don't go naturally I insert one up the bum and within minutes I am pooping - ah what a relief it is!

I have no regrets whatsoever about having surgery but I was surprised how much my tastes changed. I used to LOVE the sweets. Any type of sweet. Now I can't stand it, not at all. I think I was also surprised because I had it in my head that this was going to be an easy journey.....it is not by any means easy. There is a lot of hard work involved and I have had to really stay on top of things.

@ -- it must be something about Dr. Khayat's technique, because he removed my sweet tooth too!!! I had S/F chocolate pudding all ready for my full liquid stage, and took one bite and BLEAH. :P

I am only 3 weeks out, but I was surprised at how emotional I was before surgery. I just wanted it over.. I'm surprised at how easy everything has went.. so far, i'm totally 100% happy with my decision!

I was surprised my recovery went as easy as it did. I had some really great mentors and a fantastic surgical team who educated me WELL. Maybe that's why I was surprised about my recovery, because I was prepared for what CAN happen, (leaks and other complications), but didn't, as well as what WILL happen, (stalls, emotional roller-coaster, learning your new limits, etc.).

So happy! Day 10 out of surgery and met with my doctor who is very pleased with my progress, weight, positive attitude, meals, hydration, etc. We chatted for over an hour which was fun and informative for us both. He even had several photos of my insides during the surgery and explained everything so well. I have a beautiful staple line! My incisions sites are healed over and look miniscule. This has been the easiest surgical experience I have had. No regrets and welcome my healthy future