Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

thank you im not a fan of popcorn it was just more like tast something salt... i not too insane like trying to eat them.

Specially today was a really hard day.. usually Im out from home at 7 am and come back at 9pm. all my meals were out of home usually salty or spicy. Thats why i feel that i need something salty obviously how you said my fear was the popcorn hull.

I think i will wait I can my doctor and he told me that i can try some vegs.

thank you trevorsmom

i like more to get support like youre last post.

Do you like Hummus? You could even add a little spicy sauce that you like and have that with your vegetables. Hummus is a favorite of mine I still can't have it for about 10 days but it is a Protein packed treat (that is if you like it :) Night time after a long days is a time that I struggle the most.

I think posters that have attacked you and claimed you are doomed to failure fo wanting popcorn are wrong, and frankly, need to calm down.

When you return to normal, a little popcorn is fine. I had this surgery to moderate my portions and live a normal life. Those posters who have decided that surgery means living an abnormal life where they can not eat the things normal people eat in normal proportions have every right to make that decision for themselves but it is massively arrogant to assume that making that decision makes the surgery a failure for anyone who decides to have a bit more leeway in their diet.

Yes, movie popcorn is full of salt and fat. Yes, I had surgery so that, amongst other things, going to the movies didn't involve eating a large bucket of popcorn. But I did not have surgery to stop eating things that I like alltogether, and that does not mean my surgery is or will be a failure.

And I absolutely understand where you are coming from with wanting something salty. That is natural - we think of salt as bad, but our bodies need salt just as they need other minerals, so wh you don't get much, you will crave it. I've been there. There are ways to get salt/spice through Soups and other soft foods. But I'm not going to pretend it's pleasant - I hated the liquid and puree stage. I'm at soft foods now, so I had some slices of peppered beef, and it was the best thing ever to have something savoury. So I absolutely get where you're coming from.

The risk with popcorn at your stage (and mine, I'm five weeks out) is that your stomach is still healing, and the popcorn kernels can get stuck in your suture and cause damage or aggravation.

I could lecture you about the fat and salt, and I could lecture you about popcorn being a slider food. But you're an adult and you know that and you can make your own dietary decisions. Movie popcorn is not good for you. I've decided that that will not prevent me eating it in moderation. Life is too short to be obese but it's also too short to not be able to enjoy some treats as well. But I definitely think you should force yourself to stay away from it until your tummy is fully healed.

I LOVE popcorn and Peanut Butter (especially crunchy) and that was a question I asked my surgeon about and he said neither was completely off my list of foods - just need to eat healthy version & small amount and chew, chew, chew. We didn't go into a lot about movie popcorn vs popcorn from home but I got the idea. I am looking forward to seeing F&F 7 this weekend and the smell of popcorn is going to be hard and I haven't had surgery yet but I am trying to get the mindset of post-surgery and forgo some of those favorites, for now. I would be scared to death of what the hulls would do to my healing stomach.

I would bring some string cheese and Water and watch the movie!

10 days out is probably not a good idea. I've had some now and my sleeve doesn't really like it too much so I only eat a little every now and again. (I'm almost 3 months out)

My taste buds have changed though so I like popcorn with nothing on it because anything else tastes too salty.

Careful though, popcorn is a slider food and I've found I can eat a lot of it if I don't implement some self control.

I haven't cut it out but I don't keep in the house so I can avoid excessive snacking.

Faav,

+1 what Livingstone said. If you can't be supportive and helpful, why respond?

There might be acceptable alternatives. As Jane13 suggested, string cheese is probably going to be better for you. As far as portable food goes, hummus seems like a lot of trouble. I found a list somewhere that included dry Cereal (it's crunchy and you can get it in so many flavors), sliced sweet peppers, freeze-dried fruit, raisins, and frozen grapes. I'm a movie junkie, so I understand what you're saying.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it works out. Also, what are you seeing? :-)

Cat

I would also be careful with dry Cereal this early. Again, not for nutritional reasons (that's your own decision) but because one of the reasons we're not allowed dry crunchy or hard food early on is that it can aggravate the stomach and slow down healing or even cause damage.

I would check with your surgeon - if he gives you the all clear for crunchies then go ahead. But otherwise, I would wait.

Think how much nicer it will taste when you have it for the first time as a reward for getting through the horrible first six weeks :)

Oh, and for anyone trying to avoid popcorn who find the smell difficult to resist at the cinema, try and find a smaller, independent or arthouse cinema. They probably won't be showing the blockbusters, but they also tend to have cafes and bars rather than popcorn stands, so no popcorn smell.

The one I go to does sell popcorn, but I can never smell it. I'm convinced the bigger chains deliberately pump out teh smell to increase sales.

As a few others have mentioned, getting those hulls worked into your staple line COULD be your undoing! Probably not the best thing to do right now. So, what CAN you eat? Have you tried the puffed popcorn? There is the original flavor and cheese flavor. One brand I can think of off the top of my head is Chester's, I believe it is Frito-Lay. There are store brands, as well. It is just like cheese puffs in texture, tastes similar to popcorn, but BEWARE!!!!! It melts in your mouth, so it is easy to eat more than you should (calories!!!). Also, for farther down the road, try Popcorn Pete's Virtually Hull-less popcorn, it still has hulls, but they tend to be softer.

Now, for the REALLY naughty ones: make caramel corn with the puff corn. This stuff should be ILLEGAL!!! But if your going to do it anyway, this is the way to go! Just use puff corn instead of regular popcorn in your caramel corn recipe. Yes, I know I should be shot for this, but it is my favorite (even though I can honestly say I haven't had this for years). And ONLY for the holidays! MODERATION, people, MODERATION!!!!

what would happen if i i try some popcorn.< /strong>

@@faav

you would CROAK!!! :D :lol:

hey dude

you want popcorn?? :blink:

GET OVER IT :lol:

check with surgeon when popcorn is allowed

all docs will give different answers about everything

kernels can get stuck

could/probably cause serious problems

you want to try "just" 3-4 bites

GET OVER IT :D

you have a new itsy bitsy teeny, tiny tummy ;)

respect it/take care of it

DOC might tell you to ie 6 months or so before popcorn

that is how long i had to wait

do whatever your doc says

you are never ever supposed to bring food into theaters!!!

people have been shot for less :lol:

that being said..........

i pop small bag of Orville Redenbocker 100 calorie

put in tupperware container

also a bottle of Water

then i put in large empty bag ie store bag like Kohl's

I'm good to go :)

haven't been arrested "yet" :D

the direct answer to your question

@12 days PO - no way!!!

GOT IT - GET IT - GOOD?? :lol:

people sometimes go a "little" overboard with the way they answer questions

we all have our ways of "talking" on the board

you and others should "try" not to let a few peoples comments upset/bother you

we are basically great people here (especially me) :D

opinions are like asssssholes - we all have one ;)

continued speedy recovery :)

good luck

kathy

You would probably blow up and there would be little pieces of you all over! Pretty embarrassing, but better than any movie!! :)-

I imagine it would go something like this: Violet Beauregard from Willy Wonka. :)

No, I'm kidding but I wouldn't be eating popcorn that early out.

post-237766-0-98866100-1428084329_thumb.jpg

I'm almost 8 months out and I STILL haven't had popcorn! Too much of a slider for me. I get a Chai Tea and sip it during the movie. Just sweet enough to satisfy me :)

@@faav

What were your post Op instructions? Didn't your surgeon or NUT give you any? Usually they are pretty specific about what you can and can't eat the first month or so. I suggest when you have a question like that this early out you consult your surgeon or NUT.

It's times like this when I am SOOOO glad my surgical team made me recover sooooo slowly from surgery, so all would be healed appropriately before I ventured in to the hard and crunchy world again! And now that I am there, I am having no difficulties with the hard/crunchy nuts, popcorn..... I really wondered about it when I read about so many people eating solid food so much faster than I was allowed. NOW I KNOW, and THANK YOU, SURGICAL TEAM!!!!!

I don't think you should...best wishes.