Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Left Shoulder Pain After Lap Band Surgery

I was wondering if those of you that have ongoing shouder pain walk or exercise. I am not trying to be judgemental, it's just that I really believe regular walking helped work some of that out for me. I have had my band for almost a year and I do get occasional shoulder or neck pain. It is usually when I have gotten a fill. Walking and doing windmill motions (as a nurse at my band MD's office suggested) helped. I know how bad it hurts and I really do feel for those of you that have this as a recurrent problem.

I have discovered something about my shoulder pain...it is worse if I eat salad. I guess the lettuce doesn't agree with me, but whatever it is if I don't eat any salads I don't seem to get the shoulder pain. I will get some pain if I get too hungry. I was stupid not long ago and skipped lunch at noon because I didn't really feel hungry and then my husband and I went out and we didn't get to eat until 5pm so needless to say my shoulder and stomach hurt. As long as I don't let myself get too hungry I'm usually ok. I will have a couple of spoonfuls of light yogurt between my meals to tied me over and it seems to keep the shoulder pain away for me.

On a positive note, I have found that the chewable GAS-X with Maalox extra strength antigas plus antacid seems to work better than any of the others. For me anyway.

I wish you luck and am sorry you are having so much pain....I hope you find something that works for you. It took me almost 2 years to figure mine out. I miss my salads but I don't miss them enough to put up with the pain.

Let me know how you do! Joanie :))

Hey slow mover. I initially felt more shoulder pain when I ate lettuce and some veggies too. I believe (but I am just guessing) that it is because lettuce is more gas producing. I love my lettuce too much to stop so eventhough I went through periods were I had to stay away from it for a while I was able to incorporate it back into my regular eating. I did have to chew on Gas-X quite a lot in the beginning though. You may want to try slowly reintroducing it back into your diet and see if it gets better.

Believe me, been there, done that. Walking, rotation, medication, you name it, hunny! My surgeon and his team are so wonderful, but it really does surprise me that none of this was discussed with me -- in fact, NOTHING was really talked about. Being one of his youngest patients, and weighing the least, I'm guessing he thought I could handle it? We both have God complexes right now :) But seriously, the shoulder pain? It's out. I've had enough. If something doesn't get done about it, I'm pretty sure I'm going to bite someone's head off. I have a very active social life, I'm in school full-time, and it really disrupts my ADLs. There are times that I don't feel like going out, that I just want to leave class, I have extreme mood swings from this pain (crying, ect). I'm over it, kids. You SHOULDN'T have any gas left after almost a year, and don't put up with this! Ask your doctor what's up, it couldn't hurt! I did, and I'm probably going to go see him today, to get this taken care off, because honestly, I'm too young to feel this old!

Missrachel, I agree that is is no longer gas in the body. From what I have read, it is referred pain from the band area. I know breathing out really hard after I had the surgery also really aggrevated my shoulder, so I believe it has something to do with the diaphragm and the banded area being irritated some how. Wish these docs would do more of a study on it as the pain is most certainly real and I do not want to live with this for the rest of my life!

Damn right. This is the last I have to say about this.

This has been going on since my very first tightening, back in 2007. I'm SO close to my weight loss goal, that NO, I'm NOT going to loosen it. Lose enough weight, it'll loosen itself.

Also, I wound up getting a few Percocet from my Aunt today, and you know what? I was able to drive to school, sit in class and focus the whole time, drive home (that's a 40 min drive to and from), and STILL feel pretty damn good right now.

And yes, I fully understand that narcotic pain medication isn't always the best way to go -- I'm a medical student, I understand the risks; however, after dealing with severe shoulder pain, and since having gotten a tightening last week, I HAVE ANOTHER MONTH OF PAIN to go!

My primary care physician is a jerk. He's the type of arrogant, narcissitic doctor that believes if he can't SEE it, it's not THERE (and I'm not the only one here that thinks that!). I have bugged him for almost 6 months about the pain, just to find out it's from my damn LAP-BAND! I'm livid at the crap I've been through -- being treated like a common criminal for legit pain -- and for my surgeon balking at me asking for medication. My surgeon and his team know me very well, I'm one of their favorite patients, I've NEVER had a problem with pain medication, so what gives?! My PCP has everything about my shoulder pain documented, so they ought to know I'm legit.

I'm sorry to be going off on so many rants, but I've never been so angry in my life. For so long, I've dealt with this crap, and had to find out through the INTERNET about it, just to have my surgeon and his nurse say 'Yeah we'll get back to you when we can'. RGH!:)

As a medical student, perhaps you will some day will be the one that will find a cure for the pain and that is the reason that you had to struggle with it for so many months, so that you would believe in it and not poo poo it as your doctors have done. We are counting on you!

has anyone had there band removed ??

I have to go in to have my band removed in April

I had my band one year, and have only lost 15 pounds, have had

nothing but trouble, passing out, left side tingling, never feeling well

has one out there had these problems before ??

I have had a CT, MRI, blood work, seen an endocronoligist, neourologist, GYN

everything is normal, so they are removing my band.

Tammy

:biggrin: I am so sorry to hear that you have to have your band removed after only a year.

I have had mine almost 2 yrs and my biggest fear is having a problem with it and that it would have to be removed. I just know I would gain back all my weight.

I do hope that after they remove it your problems go away so that you didn't get it taken out for nothing. Good luck and let us know how it went!!!

Tammy

Tammy

So sorry to hear that! I thought I was the slowest loser; you must be terribly discouraged. There is a thread called "Lap Band Complications" and there are many sub-threads on there about removal. You might find some support on there from people who have been through it. Good luck!

I know someone else who had their band removed because of the shoulder pain. It never went away, and it was intense.

Mine is pretty much gone. I do notice when I exercise though, that holding any type of weight with my left hand makes it hurt. It's like now that shoulder is weak. My trainer can't even believe the difference. I keep telling him it's bursitis because I don't want to get into it all about the band and chronic left shoulder pain.

:sneaky: I am almost 2 years out and I still have the pain. In fact my neck even swells a bit. I notice I get it more if I havent eaten, however I do get it often.

I can actually pinch the nerve that is causing the pain. Weird huh. I went to the doctor and she said it sounds like an air bubble or pocket of some sort. Gosh if I only knew. It isnt fun. I am glad I know there are others with the problem but I am sorry you are all suffering with me

I am 2 years out and still have it to. I hate it. Today it is real bad and the only thing that works is pain meds. I hate having to depend on them so often but that is the only way I can get through the day sometimes. I just feel like if they could move things around in there a little it might get better.You said your neck gets swollen sometyimes from it. Well I have had a weird feeling in the left part of my neck for over a year now. I have had all kinds of tests done and they can not figure out what it is. Now I am wondering if it could be from this. Of coarse my band dr says it is not related but I think they dont like to admit there are any side affects with the band. I am having my Tummy Tuck next week and I am hoping that it helps move something around some how and I wake up and never have the pain again. I dont think I would ever give up my band because of it. I just pray it goes away some day. Good luck to you. I know it sucks!

I wish you luck on your tummy tuck..

I know for a fact that it is a side effect from the surgery because I never had this symptom before. I am just so tired of it I decided to look on the computer and see if anyone else had this problem and frankly I am shocked. I am happy I am not the only one but like I said I dont wish this on anyone.

Do me a favor, if they do find out what it is let me know

The only real problem I have had lately is the pain in my left shoulder that seems to get worse if I eat too much. It also hurts at times to raise my left arm over my head for too long. It feels like a pinched nerve. My doc offered to do an MRI but says that this is very common. I am just wondering if anyone else has this problem.

I just had a banding done 3/26, ever since surgery I've had severe, sharp pains in my left shoulder, I have been so puzzled and now can relate the pain to everytime I try to consume any liquids- temp doesn't matter either- I almost went to hosp last night the pain was so bad...I didn't have this pain before banding, what could it be? I sure hope this doesn't last?