Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your work-out regimen?

my routine changed as I lost weight and started to become more fit with higher endurance. I am hitting the gym thrice weekly. 30 run, or 20 minute intense/resistant elliptical followed by 30 minutes of strength training. focusing on different muscle groups. need to step up my runs into the 10k range now. I just make sure that when I am done with my workout, my shirt is totally drenched in sweat.... no pain, no gain!

I am six months out and have been doing both cardio and weights. When I started I could only ride the bike for 5 minutes (because of a back injury) now that I have lost 140lbs since my hw I no longer have the back and hip pain I now do the elliptical for about 20 min and go as hard as I can for 2 1/2 miles. Starting Monday I will be increasing to 3 miles hard as I can. I try to better my time every time I work out. I have bested my time every work out for the last week and a half cutting over 1 minute off of my time. Then I do medium heavy weights. Hitting different parts every day ex:

MONDAY

chest and triceps

TUESDAY

Back and biceps

WEDNESDAY

Legs

THURSDAY

shoulders

Every day I work my core at the end of my workout.

@@heynowkc -- Pre-surgery I had been walking for 25-30 mins. on my lunch break at work, which I continued post-surgery when I returned to work. Then my surgeon told me I needed to ramp up my exercise in order to continue losing my weight.

On a side note, several days after my sleeve surgery, I encountered some complications that put me back into the hospital for 19 days, during which I lost about 30 lbs. and a lot of muscle and strength. Just stepping up a curb I required assistance. After discharge, and once I finished my outpatient physical therapy, I joined PlanetFitness so I could continue working on rebuilding my strength, balance, and muscle via their circuit training area. Once I started feeling stronger and getting some of my energy back, I then added time on the elliptical to my routine. All that said, here is my current weekly routine:

Monday-Friday (more days than not) -- walking 25 mins. on average

2-4 times per week -- 15-22 mins. on the elliptical

2-3 times per week -- several strength training exercises on machines/or circuit training (a day inbetween each session which is recommended

Until I started working out at the gym, my weight loss had stalled. Even when the scale wasn't moving, i was still seeing changes in how my clothes fit confirming that I was at least losing inches if not pounds. At times like this, you have to be patient and keep following the rules.

I hope this helps and encourage you in whatever form of physical activity you choose. Remember: This is for LIFE (literally). For every pound we lose, we are that much healthier.

. Thank you so much for sharing your day to day exercise routine. I'm still struggling and hoping I can be more consistent exercising since my weight-loss is starting to slowdown a little bit; but I'm still hopeful and will take exercising more seriously. Thanks again!

I do walk regularly.... But I found the most reliable exercise for me ( over 8 years) is to show up at my trainers and do exactly what she instructs me to do... I share her on one day and it helps with affordability????

For whatever reason, The reliability makes me go. NO excuses

(Well...vomiting or diarhea are acceptable no goes)

post-15104-0-89622800-1429806422_thumb.jpgI am a morning person and work full-time so I get up between 4:00 and 4:30 am to workout. I am into biking and planning on doing a Century again this year so it is biking, biking, and biking. I workout for at least 1 hr on my spin bike (I have about 20 different biking videos) and try to bike outside (weather permitting) at least 3 days a week. My goal this year is to bike 2015 miles outside. Doing 3 different sponsored bike rides with the Century in June. At work during lunch I try and walk 45 minutes exercise instead of eating. LOVE BIKING!! I use to run until I had to have a knee replacement grateful that I found biking.

I guess it's high time I answer my own question! Thank you ALL for your valuable input! This thread seems to be helping a lot of people.

I am four months out from surgery as of last week.

Pre-Surgery

In the 2.5 months prior to surgery, I was doing an hour of Water aerobics anywhere from 4-6 times/week, and adding in 1-2 strength training sessions on top of that. That, coupled with a healthy ~1200 calorie diet kept me losing about 7 lbs per week on average.

Post-surgery

I'm sorry to say that I never really got back to that routine.

Everyone says you should walk for your exercise, especially in the early months. So that's exactly what I was doing, walking around 3 times a week, with occasional Water aerobics (1-2 times per week when I could get to it.)

Since my weight loss has slowed (not stopped) in the past two months to about 2.5 lbs / week, (sometimes slightly more, sometimes less) I decided to mix things up and as an experiment went back to my pre-surgery workout routine. I actually did 7 ~hour-long water aerobics workouts last week. I lost 7.3 lbs! I know it's only one week, but I've decided to FORGET the walking as my primary source of exercise! It does nothing for me!

I'm sticking with water aerobics one hour 5-6 times per week or more as I find time!

As for WHEN I work out. Well, because I'm taking classes, I kind of have to go with whatever the schedule is at my gym. But I am excited to get to any early morning (5:30 AM) classes (I took 2 this past week.) that I can manage because if I work out early in the morning there are less distractions (social events, feeling tired from the day, traffic etc.) that will keep me from working out in the evenings. I commute, so time is precious!

Edited by heynowkc

Starting 1 week after surgery I started walking every day. Now I walk 3 1/2 miles every morning in an hour and I either do weights at the gym or riding my mountain bike on alternating days.

Monday - 3 1/2 miles walk and 14 mile bike ride

Tuesday - 3 1/2 miles walk and Barbell Strength class at gym for 60 minutes

Wednesday - 3 1/2 miles walk and 14 mile bike ride

Thursday - 3 1/2 miles walk and Barbell Strength class at gym

Friday - 3 1/2 miles walk and 14 mile bike ride

Saturday - rest

Sunday - 3 1/2 miles walk and Barbell Strength class at gym

My weight seems to have stalled at the same weight but I am still losing inches and I have incredible energy.

I love the elliptical trainer and try to do 2 hours a day on average. I do it about 5 to 6 days a week. Some days I just walk up and down the stairs in my house for half an hour that is a real workout.