Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Days Post Open Severe Nausea

My daughter is in surgery right now to remove the kidney stone. She's been in serious pain for 5 days now and the nausea is beyond horrible.

I'm praying that this cures the pain AND the nausea. This kid has suffered ENOUGH!!

Oh, no! So sorry it has come to that! Praying this is what's causing her nausea and she feels better!

@@RNYGal, thank you!

Unfortunately, they weren't able to remove the stone and he had to put a stent in to dilate the ureter. He'll have to wait 2 weeks to go in and get in once it dilates enough or he'd risk damaging her ureter. I'm heartbroken for her. I have no idea how this will affect her nausea and pain but the urologist says the stent will alleviate the pain. Fingers crossed!

Now the bariatric surgeon will have to determine what to do if the nausea continues and what to do with her nutrition and hydration if the nausea persists until she can come back for the stone removal surgery.

So are they sending her home?? It's crazy she's had this nausea for this long. Can it be attributed to the kidney stone? I hope they're sending her home with some good pain and nausea meds. My thoughts and prayers will continue to be with you and your daughter.

OMG!! The poor kid. How is she doing now? Please keep us updated. You must be a wreck. We are all wishing her well and hope that she finally turns a corner for the better

So are they sending her home?? It's crazy she's had this nausea for this long. Can it be attributed to the kidney stone? I hope they're sending her home with some good pain and nausea meds. My thoughts and prayers will continue to be with you and your daughter.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. No, they're not sending her home yet. She's still in a great deal of pain and still nauseated with no relief from Zofran or Phenergren. She hasn't been able to drink anything because of the nausea and vomiting and since this is 4 weeks of no food or drink, the bariatric surgeon needs to come back in and evaluate. Of course, it's the weekend and he's off so whoever is on call will come by possibly.

If this procedure takes TWO WEEKS before he can go back in and it still causes the severe nausea and pain, I don't see how she can handles this given her inability to hydrate and verging on malnourishment. I researched and there is another procedure he could do that would get it out now. It's slightly more invasive but not vastly. I am going to call him tomorrow to see why he isn't choosing that option. Seems to me he should be given that her body, mind and soul are giving out.

OMG!! The poor kid. How is she doing now? Please keep us updated. You must be a wreck. We are all wishing her well and hope that she finally turns a corner for the better

Thanks, LSF...it's been a really long road and frankly I'm exhausted, drained and I feel so incredibly helpless seeing my daughter in such pain. It has got to stop!

This is all so heartbreaking! I hope you have family around you to lean on in this difficult time. I hope both of you get the answers you need soon! You both deserve some relief.

The stent has started to ease the nausea some! She's still miserable though and in alot of pain. She is shakey and weak and it's hard to walk. She wasn't able to sleep all night.

We just had a horrible experience with the hospital doctor when he came to check on her. I still can't believe it myself. She tells him of the pain she's having and that it was hard to sleep and he asks if she's been up walking. She said she can only go short distances before getting shakes and feeling severe nausea and weakness. She said her body aches all over like she has a really bad flu. I reminded him she hasn't had any food for 4.5 weeks. He stressed that she needs to be up moving around and I agreed we could try but I'm worried about the fall risk. The nurse had told us NOT TO because the fall risk outweighed the benefits at this point. She's walking to and from the bathroom several times a day.

He asked to talk to me in the hall. I got a full lecture about how she needed to lose weight and that he doesn't believe in Fibromyalgia. She needs to lose weight and NOW. That the fact that she is overweight is what is causing her all the pain. I reminded him of the following

1. She is in this hospital BECAUSE she has a kidney stoned still lodged in her ureter.

2. Surgery failed to get it out because the urologist said her ureters are abnormally small.

3. She hasn't eaten ONE THING in 4.5 weeks and has had such severe nausea this entire time she could barely keep liquids down.

4. She was dehydrated and her body has been through a lot of trauma with no sustenance.

5. YES she needs to lose weight but how will that solve the issue RIGHT NOW? Furthermore, that's why we opted for the gastric sleeve.

He was such an arrogant ass about it I am still in disbelief. I asked him what exactly he expected me to do about it right this minute. I said that's not the reason we are here we're here because of the acute pain, chronic nausea and kidney stones. Her kidneys were dilated and backed up from the blockage. Kidney stones aren't caused by being fat. They run in my family and even my slim father has had to have surgery on them more than once becasue HE TOO has abnormally small ureters. It's called genetics.

My daughter overheard and has not stopped crying. I am so tired of doctor's judging and making us feel like less than human beings less deserving of good medical care. If I had gone in for a physical, I would expect that kind of talk but not when she's in the hospital with acute pain with an acute kidney stone issue and bordering on malnutrition and dehydration from a MISERABLE 4.5 weeks doing a very drastic procedure to try to LOSE WEIGHT.

I'm so angry and upset for my daughter. I demanded the nurse get us a different doctor. I refuse to allow her to be treated like that when she is clearly miserable and just turned 18 so is still basically a child. This is the sweetest, kindest child too. I'm just heartbroken for her.

Edited by ssourgirl

Wow! Please excuse my language what a F**&+ dick! But good for you for refusing to see that doctor again. So many people are afraid to stand up to doctors. I am relieved her nausea has started to ease.i don't care how fat you are, just being fat doesn't cause pain. How the hell does he expect her to get up and walk with no nutrition for such an extended period of time. Wow just wow. I hope the next doctor you see isn't such a jerk!

"what a F**&+ d**k!" My thoughts exactly! I was absolutely floored. I even said that, "you try not eathing anything for 4.5 weeks and let's see how well you can walk down the hall." The only reason this nausea didn't cause more severe malnutrition and damage is actually BECAUSE she had extra fat her body could burn so it at least kept her from more serious complications. Try doing that with a person who had little body fat. I'm still SO ANGRY.

He really ruined the small victory she had with the nausea abating. The first sign of hope in 5 weeks.

When I had a colon resection three years ago I fired my hospital doctor. He never responded to the nurses page and they could not administer nausea medicine for over 4 hours until finally one of the nurses called my surgeon at home. My mother was chronically ill, had a kidney transplant at age 70 and she always told me if you aren't getting proper care or treated respectfully ask to speak to the hospital administrator and tell them that you or your daughter is the patient and you will not tolerate disrespect and that you want another dr assigned. They get a lot of $$$ when a patient is hospitalized and you have every right to be treated respectfully.

Edited by Mstdst13

I would actually report him to the hospital if you can cause that's some bull! You can't treat patients like that! I really hope you don't have to deal with him again. I'm mad for you. That's just unacceptable!

The stent has started to ease the nausea some! She's still miserable though and in alot of pain. She is shakey and weak and it's hard to walk. She wasn't able to sleep all night.

We just had a horrible experience with the hospital doctor when he came to check on her. I still can't believe it myself. She tells him of the pain she's having and that it was hard to sleep and he asks if she's been up walking. She said she can only go short distances before getting shakes and feeling severe nausea and weakness. She said her body aches all over like she has a really bad flu. I reminded him she hasn't had any food for 4.5 weeks. He stressed that she needs to be up moving around and I agreed we could try but I'm worried about the fall risk. The nurse had told us NOT TO because the fall risk outweighed the benefits at this point. She's walking to and from the bathroom several times a day.

He asked to talk to me in the hall. I got a full lecture about how she needed to lose weight and that he doesn't believe in Fibromyalgia. She needs to lose weight and NOW. That the fact that she is overweight is what is causing her all the pain. I reminded him of the following

1. She is in this hospital BECAUSE she has a kidney stoned still lodged in her ureter.

2. Surgery failed to get it out because the urologist said her ureters are abnormally small.

3. She hasn't eaten ONE THING in 4.5 weeks and has had such severe nausea this entire time she could barely keep liquids down.

4. She was dehydrated and her body has been through a lot of trauma with no sustenance.

5. YES she needs to lose weight but how will that solve the issue RIGHT NOW? Furthermore, that's why we opted for the gastric sleeve.

He was such an arrogant ass about it I am still in disbelief. I asked him what exactly he expected me to do about it right this minute. I said that's not the reason we are here we're here because of the acute pain, chronic nausea and kidney stones. Her kidneys were dilated and backed up from the blockage. Kidney stones aren't caused by being fat. They run in my family and even my slim father has had to have surgery on them more than once becasue HE TOO has abnormally small ureters. It's called genetics.

My daughter overheard and has not stopped crying. I am so tired of doctor's judging and making us feel like less than human beings less deserving of good medical care. If I had gone in for a physical, I would expect that kind of talk but not when she's in the hospital with acute pain with an acute kidney stone issue and bordering on malnutrition and dehydration from a MISERABLE 4.5 weeks doing a very drastic procedure to try to LOSE WEIGHT.

I'm so angry and upset for my daughter. I demanded the nurse get us a different doctor. I refuse to allow her to be treated like that when she is clearly miserable and just turned 18 so is still basically a child. This is the sweetest, kindest child too. I'm just heartbroken for her.

You are doing the right thing. Your daughter is lucky to have you to advocate for her. Praying that things get better.

Thanks @RNYGal @Mstdst13@missheidi47

I am most definitely going to talk to the hospital administrators. I'm still fuming and my daughter is still really upset. The nurses and techs here are really great and I've been so impressed with the rest of the care we've gotten here up until that experience. I barely got any sleep last night myself and this has been an immensely stressful week on both of us. I didn't need a lecture on how badly I've raised my daughter and she didn't need to hear how callous and discriminatory he was.

He even said that the gastric sleeve wouldn't help! To me the surgery was the last and most invasive steps to take after trying a multitude of things that didn't work. What the hell else does he expect us to do?!

Edited by ssourgirl