Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Days Post Open Severe Nausea

I am sorry your daughter is going through so much. I have had multiple kidney stones and they told me the same thing i can tell you it Always hurts me when its in the kidney. I also worried about this my surgery is may 6 I am hoping I don't have this problem.

@@ssourgirl @@LSF

Ok- I am a nurse (30+ years) and I think LSF is spot on. This is not a normal recovery and has gone on too long. Please get another doctor involved. I hope things turn around soon and she starts feeling better.

Wondering myself how well they checked for leakage after surgery. She should have been feeling better at least several days after.

I am sorry your daughter is going through so much. I have had multiple kidney stones and they told me the same thing i can tell you it Always hurts me when its in the kidney. I also worried about this my surgery is may 6 I am hoping I don't have this problem.

There was a young lady that had hers done almost the same time I did. While I was in my room I could hear her violently vomiting in the next room. I made sure I followed the plan for two weeks of liquids and two days prior of fasting because that can play a major part in our recovery afterwards. When they tell us nothing to eat or drink after midnight there is a reason. It can and will affect how the anestesia works. I hope things get better for her.

@@ssourgirl @@LSF

Ok- I am a nurse (30+ years) and I think LSF is spot on. This is not a normal recovery and has gone on too long. Please get another doctor involved. I hope things turn around soon and she starts feeling better.

Wondering myself how well they checked for leakage after surgery. She should have been feeling better at least several days after.

They checked leakage by CT swallow testtest the day after surgery before allowing liquids and another barium swallowing test a couple weeks out.

There was a young lady that had hers done almost the same time I did. While I was in my room I could hear her violently vomiting in the next room. I made sure I followed the plan for two weeks of liquids and two days prior of fasting because that can play a major part in our recovery afterwards. When they tell us nothing to eat or drink after midnight there is a reason. It can and will affect how the anestesia works. I hope things get better for her.

My daughter is almost 4 weeks out from surgery so this isn't from the anesthesia. She followed the pre op diet to a T.

I hope you don't have those issues too!

Sometimes even when you follow things to a T there is that small percentage of people who have complications. It doesn't happen often, but I've seen a few people on this board who it happened to. It's just upsetting that they downplayed your concerns by saying this is normal. It's not uncommon, but no way is it normal.

I agree @@BLERDgirl I'm a little disappointed in this surgeon. She's been in the hospital for 2 days now and will be staying again tonight,. The surgeon hasn't even contacted us. The doctors here say they are going to contact him but maybe they haven't. I would have thought they'd have at least called me. This kid is 18,. I think they should be bending over backwards to try to figure out what the hell is going on!

She's still on pain meds here and Zofran and Phenergan. The nausea is still bad. Granted, we don't know yet if the stone has passed and that could be making the nausea worse but it's been like this for 4 weeks. She's tried drinking and it is uncomfortable going down, she says she's having a feeling of pressure when she takes a sip. She is on IV fluids but I still want to see that she can comfortably take in liquids. Not to mention she's had no food nutrients for almost 4 weeks now. I don't want her to have to have a tube but when does malnutrition start to be a concern??

Edited by ssourgirl

Maybe you could try sending a DM to @@nprcowboy , He had a really rough time for the first few months and was put on tube feedings. Perhaps he can offer some advice.

Personally I would be contacting the insurance company about changing surgeons for follow up. Make sure the doctors following her for the kidney stone out in for a consult. Either the bariatric surgeon or one of his residents should have checked in with her by now.

Not sure where you are located, but have you considered having her try cannabis for the nausea? May be worth a shot.

Thanks, @@sunflowerchild unfortunately we're in Texas. Need I say more? I wouldn't be opposed to that at all but Texas sure is. We need to move to Colorado. She also has fibromyalgia and hypothyroid and she could be helped by medical marijuana, studies show. Zofran and Phenergan are both good drugs for nausea and neither is doing much to help. I really wish they could find the cause of it.

We're still in the hospital. This marks 4 weeks without any food and barely any liquids. Day 3 in the hospital. They are keeping her here until she passes the stone. I'm afraid that they'll dismiss her without finding the reason for the nausea and we'll be sent home without any help. I'm EXTREMELY dissatisfied with her surgeon who was supposed to be the best in Austin.

4 weeks of constant nausea and vomiting and no relief. Hospital for 3 days without him even stopping by to check on her.

I was planning on getting sleeved myself but after this I have serious concerns about doing it and I will most likely seek a different surgeon if I do decide to do it.

Edited by ssourgirl

Once she's back up on her feet, get her into an exercise program. My sister has fibro and while it's a challenge, she says exercising is a big help.

yea, she needs to be scoped.. something isn't right.. but I did have to force myself to sip. small, small sips. ice chips. She needs to get that liquid down.

OK the surgeon came by and we had a good talk. He does not want to do a scope because of the risk of perforation this early. He says scoping risks perforation before 6 weeks out. He is wondering also if the nausea hasn't been this pesky kidney stone all along so he wants to wait and see if the nausea is still present after this stone is passed. He plans to start with nutrients IV if things do not get better after the stone passes. The urologist says we need to wait for the stone to pass. It may be small enough to pass, not large enough to warrant the Lithotripsy and he doesn't want to go in and get it unless it's crucial. So, we are on a wait and see basis for alot of things. I feel better having talked to them and establishing a plan of care of sorts.