Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

questions about surgery

I have a couple of questions i have been wondering about pertaining to my surgery with is in two days.

1. ti\his may be an odd question, Are you catheterized for this procedure? if so how long till it is taking out?

2.how long till you can put clothes on?I hate being stuck in a hospital gown to long.

3. does maybe 1 family member come in to the recovery room?

I know those aren't that serious but i have been wondering I've only had c-sections in the past so Im trying to figure out what i can expect since sleeve surgery is very different.

Thanks!

1. Yes you'll have a catheter. Mine was pulled out morning after surgery.

2. I was in the hospital two day and I stayed in a gown both days. I did have a robe I wore to walk around in and some pajama pants. Because of the IV I couldn't change shirts that easily. If you're truly uncomfortable, talk to your nurses and maybe they can help. Other people's experience may be different.

3. My husband stayed with me the entire time. I'm sure it's just like regular visiting hours except for 1-2 family members. Probably depends on your hospital's policy.

1) I had a catheter placed during surgery and removed before I woke so I never knew it was there, I asked.

2) I put my clothes on that evening. I had the nurse hep-lock my IV (Unhook and cap it) until I got dressed then she hooked me back up.

3) no one was allowed in the recovery room but my husband was waiting for me in my room when I was done. Depending on your hospital. I was in a recovery room with other patients so it's a privacy issue. I wasn't in there long once I woke up, maybe 15 min.

All of these are my hospital/surgeons procedures, yours may be different ask your bariatric team they should be able to tell you. Good luck!

1. tihis may be an odd question, Are you catheterized for this procedure? if so how long till it is taking out?

I had my surgery in Orlando FL, (5 Days Post Op today, No Catheters were used.

2.how long till you can put clothes on?I hate being stuck in a hospital gown to long.

I was able to put on underwear and pants under my Hospital Gown.

My Mom was allowed to go see me for a couple of mins in the recovery room.

@@Elode just made me realize you said recovery room! Yea, no. Nobody was allowed in my recovery room for the same reason. There were other patients in there and it was a privacy/quiet issue. I kinda wish someone had been in there because even though we told my team MANY times that they needed to put my cpap mask on me in recovery, they didn't. We even gave them MY MASK before I went into surgery so they would have it ready for me. They put the oxygen tube on instead which yes has some pressure, but it's not sealed. I kept waking up while coming out of anesthesia choking because I couldn't breath. They kept telling me I was breathing fine. No Sh*t Sherlock, if I'm awake I'm breathing! It's when I wasn't awake that I started choking. I finally managed to gasp the words "cpap mask" to get them to see what was going on. After that it was all good. Not trying to scare you by telling you all this. But if you have any issues like sleep apnea, go over and over it with your team and make sure they know what you'll need.

You should ask your doctor these questions. Answers vary from surgeon to surgeon and patient to patient.

1.I was not cathed.

2.I was in the hospital for 2 days and stayed in a gown. I didn't care.

3. I was allowed family members.

Hello. Here was my experience:

1. I did not have a catheter.

2. I was in the hospital for two days and wore the gown during that time.

3. My husband and parents were allowed two short visits to me in the recovery room. I was in there for an extra long time because my blood pressure was out of control.

Hi....

I was not cathetered. I ended up staying in the hospital 2 days because I had a difficult time waking up. My sister was the only one allowe to be with me in the pre-operative room and then when I was brought into my room. As for the recovery room, no one was allowed.

Annamarie

No catheter that I remember. If there was one, it was gone before I was taken to my room. I was up to the restroom within hours of returning from recovery. No biggie.

You'll probably stay in the gown, (necessarily) as long as they have an IV in your arm. When they removed my IV they sent me home hours later (this was 24 hours after surgery) so it really didn't matter. I did bring some comfy PJ bottoms to wear under the gown which made it more comfortable. Didn't have to worry about my butt hanging out when I went for a walk, LOL.

I have no memory of the recovery room at all. No idea if family was allowed to visit.

1. I did not have a catheter but it was removed as soon as I was able to get up and start walking.

2. After the catheter was removed I put on a baggy pair of shorts that I wore under my hospital gown.

3. I had a friend stay the night with me in my private room. She helped me out of the bed when I wanted to walk my laps.

1. I wasn't catheterized, but some are!

2. I put on my own PJ's as soon as I could I got to my room...pants and a t-shirt!

3. Some surgery centers allow people in recovery, some don't. Mine did!

You can call your doctor's office and ask for his/her nurse or NP, or whatever. They might have to get back to you, but they will. I had tons of questions prior to surgery and probably bugged the crap out of them! They REALLY don't mind!

I have a couple of questions i have been wondering about pertaining to my surgery with is in two days.

1. ti\his may be an odd question, Are you catheterized for this procedure? if so how long till it is taking out?

I know those aren't that serious but i have been wondering I've only had c-sections in the past so Im trying to figure out what i can expect since sleeve surgery is very different.

Thanks!

I was cathed. It was takwn out the 2nd day.

I was in recovery for 5 hrs & mu husband was withw me the entire time & even stayed the night. I was fortunate enough to have a private room with a pull out bed.

As far as the gown, it was just easier. I had a robe for walking.

Best of luck to you. 8 days post op & had an easy recovery!

You all have been very helpful, but it sound like every doctor is different I could have guessed that anyways i will find out Friday bright and early! So ready to be sleeved!

I had a catheter but was put in and removed while I was asleep...( this was my worry also, along with a drain, which if did not have)

I wore hospital gown the whole time, with a second one as a robe when I got up to walk

Normally no one allowed in recovery at my hospital but as I waited 4 hours in morning for surgery ( an emergency appendectomy bumped me) and there was no bed available in a room for me for another 5-6 hours, they allowed my husband 5 minutes to say hello as he was waiting that whole time...I told him just to go home at that point.

I am almost 2 weeks post op and to tell you the truth, at this point it's kind of a blur