Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting to feel more hungry and panicking about it!

The past two weeks I've been getting fuller quicker at mealtimes but then feel ravenous in between. I'm starting to get concerned the surgery is not working but I feel this is more to do with my response.

The surgery is working as is my exercise routine: I've lost 78 pounds but then I got on the scales this morning and found I'd put on 4 pounds!

It's normal at this time in the month for me as I have fibroids and Fluid retention is a nightmare. However, once my period is over I can lose 8-10 pounds straight away. So why am I not taking it in my stride as I have done since I got sleeved in November?

My mood over the past few weeks has dipped; I don't feel as brightly optimistic as I once did. I feel let down by the lack of support by a few people close to me and have let them go emotionally. In previous times I would have been eating over it to get over it but as I can no longer do that I have to work on my emotions in healthier and more constructive ways.

I think a lot of the hunger I'm feeling is emotional and I will try yo differentiate between what is real hunger and what is imaginary hunger.

Still a long way to go on this journey and a lot to learn, but very happy this forum is here and I have a good counsellor.

Wishing everyone the best xx

Are you eating a snack between meals? When I increased my exercise intensity, I had to add a snack (usually a cheese stick) between Breakfast and lunch, otherwise I was feeling "hungry" but lunch time and prone to choose the wrong thing or overeat. I also added some granola to my afternoon greek yogurt. By doing those two small things, I was able to get my hunger back in check and still eat well within my ranges and, more importantly, eat the RIGHT things.

@@Laydee_G

Sound's like the honeymoon phase is coming to an end. Reality is that this takes work. Great that you have recognized that emotional and stress eating are no longer a good coping mechanism. It's time to find what works for you to cope (hobbies exercise etc) Finding what will satisfy your hunger is a real issue. Protein, add your veggies to fill up on Fiber and have healthy Snacks available. Find things to satisfy cravings. Find healthy sweet and salty options.

Hang in there. Letting go of some of the people around us happens. Just know more positive and supportive people will come into your life.

Edited by jenn1

I agree with the Snacks...maybe some broccoli or something that will just fill you for awhile but not add any calories/fat, etc? I'm about 7.5 weeks out and can already tell I'm starting to have hunger, which I haven't since surgery.

hang in there. I think it's normal for all of us to have our highs and lows. As my hubby tells me....it's a marathon, not a sprint.

I agree, perhaps adjust your meal plan to include some nutritious Snacks instead of beating yourself up. I mostly eat 3 meals a day, but I always allow for an afternoon snack if I need one.

Continue to work on your emotional health. Hopefully with Spring coming things will ease up for you a bit.

@@Laydee_G -- The medical doctor within the group that I went to for my VSG told me about the book and the website. It has been a source of encouragement for me when I find I have to work on the psychological aspect of my journey. Maybe the blurb below will help provide a bit of encouragement to you.

From Beck Diet Solutions website for March 24, 2015 - Tuesday Reality Check

Don't be overly influenced by the number on the scale. If you see a higher number, you may get demoralized and overeat. If you see a lower number, you may think that it’s okay to loosen up and eat more. Remember – the number on the scale is just one point of information and shouldn’t impact how you eat on any given day.

http://www.beckdietsolution.com/daily-diet-solutions/

I'm at nine months out, and for the past couple of months my hunger has started coming back. I deal with it by: 1) drinking 120+ ounces of Fluid every day to keep my sleeve full; and 2) eating only protein-based Snacks like nuts, meats, Jerky, cheese, and yogurt. Some days I take in ridiculous amounts of fat and calories, but for the most part it seems to be working. My weight is still going down very s-l-o-w-l-y. I just don't want to get on the carb ride for fear of the slippery slope. But today I've been grazing on almonds. I really need to cut out that grazing thing before it becomes a habit!

Thank you all so much for responding when I needed help. Everything you advised resonated with me in one way or another and shifted the stall.

@JamieLogical: I added almonds as a snack on exercise days

@jenn1: through you I was reminded that when a door closes, a window of opportunity opens

@Graciesmom04: broccoli and cauliflower are my new pasta!

@BLERDgirl: through you I was reminded of the saying 'Hope springs eternal'

@MrsSugarbabe: I will remember not to let the numbers define me and thank you for the inspirational website

@Rogofulm: water! water! water! The mantra :-)

So having just finished my salsa work out and showered, I'm now going to put on my first ever pair of skinny jeans (I've dropped 5 dress sizes since being sleeved) and going to have fun with some of my loved ones.

My thanks to you all once again and have a wonderful Easter.

P.S. not getting stuck on the numbers thing but since I took your advice not only have I found my Mojo again, I've lost 8 pounds!

:D

Yay! :)