Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Kuri Mexico

Hi everyone!

I am being banded Tuesday by Dr. Kuri, I would really like to hear from anyone and everyone with an experience with him. I know one other lady banded by him who was very happy with everything so she has been helping me but of course as the time comes closer I am getting nervous and terrified of doing this...I am so stressed and want to know what kind of a decision I've made!!!!!!!!

Anyone, please share your experience!

I am going to Mexico, too- only with Dr. Rodriguez. I wish you the best! I researched Dr. Kuri too and he seemed great, as well. Good luck- Let us know your progress!!!:)

I was banded by Kuri July 06. The experience was fine. It is assembly line surgery, different from here but safe and quick. Evertyhing went smooth for me and my other band sisters (there were 6 of us). Dr Kuri is not chatty, all about business. I hope you are staying at the hotel for a couple of days after, I did and was so glad cause I was very uncomfortable. Trying to sign language Constipation to the pharmacy down the street was interesting...........

Hospital Angeles is very nice, I have been back for 2 fills. The nurses do not speak great english, so brush up on your spanish. Leave your car at the border and have Miguel pick you up at Mexicoach. I reccomend the Palacio Azteca hotel, Kuri will pay for 2 nights, use them, it is my best advice. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vintagebound - I don't think that I have a choice of hotel...when did you chose? They just said it was included in the package and that was it. Assembly line? What do you mean by that? I don't know the first word in Spanish. A lady I have been chatting with just went last month and said that there are 2 english speaking nurses, hope they're there when I am!

Don't worry, everything will be fine. You will see what I mean when you get there about assembly line......They usually book at the Palacio, if you want ask for two nights they will do it. They ask when you are doing pre op. All the staff for Kuri speaks english, it is the nurses in the hospital after the operation that is a bit challenging (two seperate entities). It was really a smooth and fast experience, they are doing so many a day it is amazing. Everything went so smooth for me, I didn't trip on what I was doing until after it was done! I assume you are trveling with someone, bring a couple of pillows for them in the room, and you will want one to hold one on your stomach for the ride back to the border.

They will send you away for your last meal before surgery, make it a good one and eat a lot of Fiber so you go #2 in the morning. A lot of us get constipated after surgery and it hurts to push......

I am going to Mexico, too- only with Dr. Rodriguez. I wish you the best! I researched Dr. Kuri too and he seemed great, as well. Good luck- Let us know your progress!!!:)

I am considering a Dr. Arturo Rodriguez, is that the Dr. Rodriguez you are using?

I was banded on July 28th by Dr. Kuri. He is very professional and down to the point. He is also VERY good, my scars are almost fully healed and its been almost 2 weeks.

Anyone else have experience with Dr. Aceves? Where can I find info. on him? Thx!

LAP-BAND,laparoscopic banding,bariatric surgery,obesity

Tracy's FAQ

LAP-BAND: Surgery Technique

Weight-Loss Surgeries Compared

You could also join his egroup and talk to lots of other patients. It's really a great group.

Dr. Aceves is the VP of the Mexican Bariatric Assoc., and the Secretary of the International Bariatric Assoc. Both those positions are voted on by members so he is even respected by US docs.

Things that you want to look for are issues such as... does your doc do surgery in a clinic or hospital? Mexico is not the same as the US, if you were to have a complication in a clinic and needed to be transported to a hospital it is not as easy as calling 911 and they are there in minutes. It's a whole different ballgame. I preferred to be in a fully equipped hospital with an ER, ICU, CCU, PICU, OR, etc.

What kinds of procedures does the doc do? Does he ONLY do banding? Banding is the easiest of all procedures. I chose Aceves because he can do the tricky stuff, the bypass to band revisions, sleeve, etc. Many docs won't touch the hard stuff.

How close do you want to be to the border? Some have a preference, some do not. I wanted to be close to the border.

Just my personal opinion but I think the best two docs in Mexico from my research are Rumbaut and Aceves. They are who others refer to for the more complicated procedures. They both work out of a hospital, they don't do assembly line surgery, they both open the patient, place the band, and close the patient unlike other docs who have the asst. surgeon do most of the work. They are both well respected in the Mexican medical community, they both train US docs in banding, they are both safe surgeons.

When people talk about how many bands someone has done, keep in mind that many times the docs strive to do 10 procedures a day. They have the Asst. Surgeon do most of the work, they spend about 15 minutes in OR with the patient, the asst. does everything else. Personally, I wouldn't want to be the 10th OR patient in the day. Rumbaut and Aceves limit their surgeries to 4-5 daily because they are doing the entire procedure.

Lots of things to think about and consider when going to Mexico. It can be a very safe experience, but research is essential.

I have scheduled my Lap Band for Jan 10 with Dr. Kuri. So thanks everyone for the post. The pillow is a great idea thanks.... and Fiber for sure!

Where are you guys now in your progress?