Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beware of Dishonest Doctors

I used to work in a hospital in billing customer service. The advice I'd always give is to pay first and disput later. This is best if you're worried about your credit. I would certainly report the doctor even if you don't have proof. An investigation would probably be just the fire under his @** to sing a different tune.

Hi Momof4... would you mind PMing me with the name of the doc as well? I have my consult scheduled wih my surgeon on the 7th... and I really would like to know if it is the same guy! Thanks in advance!

Jen

Liz1531, thanks for the advice. I am worried about our credit, but I'm more concerned that I am basically being robbed by the doctor and his wife. I did file a complaint with my insurance company and they are going to investigate ALL of his claims to them.

Sure, I might end up having to pay for my lab work before surgery, but I would much rather pay the hospital and radiologist than a crooked doctor and his greedy wife.

VegasJen, I just PM'd you the doctor's name and where his office is.

Thank you Tricia,

I appreciate the information and the heads up! I am going through another clinic, but I definitely have a bunch of new questions to ask them!

Good luck to you!

I thought I would come on here and update you on the outcome of my problem.

After spending months trying to reason and negotiate with the doctor and his wife (office manager), we paid the bill. They did settle for $1500 of the $2000 they claimed we owed.

Well, just today, months after we paid the bill, I got a call from Allstate Financial stating that we owe this particular doctor the entire $2000 still and legal action was being taken. I explained how this had been paid, provided him with a check # and the date it was paid.

He called the office of the doctor and they seemed to remember something like that happening, but they sent it on for legal action anyway!!! What a GREEDY CROOK! Even the collections guy was angry at the doctor's office and apologized profusely when I faxed him a copy of my bank statement and a copy of the cancelled check. He was embarrassed and upset because he said that doctors like this make their company look bad!! Dr. Teng is one of the busiest doctors in Vegas, unfortunately, he's too busy to even credit your account when you've paid your bills--even if your fill was "free" and you didn't owe the money in the first place. He knows all the right things to say, but then his aftercare leaves a lot to be desired! :thumbup:

Wow! When I posted on here last year I was going through a different Doc, but now I am seeing Dr Teng, and have surgery scheduled for April 10th! I am definitely keeping copies of all checks, all receipts, and am going to make sure that I get all financial specifics IN WRITING.

I am sure I should just find another place to do this, but they take my insurance, I have already been approved, and I feel like this is the right time for me to do this. I will, however, be watching my wallet!

I'm sorry that your lap band experience was jaded by this - that's pretty disappointing. Thanks for sharing your story!!!

Jen

What's even worse is that I NEVER even received a bill directly from the doctor before he sent it on to the collection agency. My husband even called the collection agency and asked how they received the bill for collection when we had never even received one. It's not like we don't have the money--we do. But how can we pay for something we were never billed for? (We weren't billed because they know that at least one of those services was supposed to be free).

Have the collection agency "validate the debit' they have to send you the original amount owed by the original debtor . Basically they have to prove they tried to collect the debt first before sending it to a collection agency .

PM I can help you with the collection agency part of it

Mindy

Wow Lauren, thanks for the information. We have been on vacation all week and so I haven't had a chance to come back on. I plan on calling the doctor's office first thing on Monday to work something out. The screwy thing is that after the fill, the doctor's office tried billing my insurance and I called the office manager (doctor's wife) to remind her that the doc said he wouldn't charge me for that fill. She said she'd talk to the staff member who bills the insurances and get it taken care of. However, now she doesn't remember the doctor telling me there was no charge.

As far as the unfill, I will gladly pay a "reasonable" price. I refuse to pay $1000. I know he quoted my fills at less than that, but then again, I didn't get it in writing. If he refuses to budge, then in all honesty, we'll take the chance. We have been told that our credit score is at the top 1/2 of 1% in the country. It might take our score down but I can't just sit by and let the doctor and his wife rob us either.

I'll keep you posted on what they say when I talk to them on Monday.

Thanks for your help.......Tricia

Since everyone in this office has "memory" issues i would not communicate with them unless its via email or letter.

you need proof of what they say .

does this doc advertise the free fills for a yr ? Most of them do ?

I thought I would come on here and update you on the outcome of my problem.

After spending months trying to reason and negotiate with the doctor and his wife (office manager), we paid the bill. They did settle for $1500 of the $2000 they claimed we owed.

Well, just today, months after we paid the bill, I got a call from Allstate Financial stating that we owe this particular doctor the entire $2000 still and legal action was being taken. I explained how this had been paid, provided him with a check # and the date it was paid.

He called the office of the doctor and they seemed to remember something like that happening, but they sent it on for legal action anyway!!! What a GREEDY CROOK! Even the collections guy was angry at the doctor's office and apologized profusely when I faxed him a copy of my bank statement and a copy of the cancelled check. He was embarrassed and upset because he said that doctors like this make their company look bad!! Dr. Teng is one of the busiest doctors in Vegas, unfortunately, he's too busy to even credit your account when you've paid your bills--even if your fill was "free" and you didn't owe the money in the first place. He knows all the right things to say, but then his aftercare leaves a lot to be desired! :thumbup:

Once you have proof you paid the doc it can then be disputed /and deleted on your credit. Even if you still owed the doc $500 you no longer owe the collection agency $2000. Its complicated but pull your credit report at myFICO - FICO Credit Scores | Get a Free Credit Report Online and make sure the doc or the collection agency has not put anything negative on your credit report.

Mindy

What an awful experience! You know, you should really look into reporting that physician and his "business" practices. I have no idea to who you would report him to or file a complaint with, but it's just not right. Good luck to you.

Take Care,

Lili

I would encourage you to do the same thing.

Have you thought about writing to the Nevada Medical Quality Assurance Board and or the State licensing board with your complaints? How about naming the doc, they always like seeing their name up on the net?

Not everything is always cut and dry. I have to say I had a great experience with Dr Teng. If I would have read this blog before surgery I would not have gone with him which is probably the attack on his character. If you look on the medical board he has a clean record. I have checked into his credentials and he is flawless.

I'm only saddened to hear of the experience you had was not more favorable.