Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone not enjoy thier 'food funeral'

So, of course, in this journey the idea of leaving behind some of the foods that got us to this state leads to the so called 'food funerals.' Any one not enjoy them? I'll say that my decision for WLS was so gradual and I've made so many changes up to this point that things that once gave me a 'high' (sweets, fast food), I've become uber selective over.

So as I finalize this pre op stuff, my mind sometimes seeks out what I 'need' to funeralize. Today I went to burger king, not someplace I've ever really frequented. I got a whopper, fries, but couldn't bring myself to have soda (I've been off all sweetened beverages for 3 weeks now). I didn't enjoy the meal at all. Actually I found that I enjoyed the fresh ingredients (tomato, lettuce, pickles) better than I did the burger and bread. I ate that at 1pm and have had no appetite ever since- the meal really turned me off.

So now I need to work past this sense of 'obligation' to say 'goodbye' to foods. I'm happy with my newly evolving diet. I cooked dinner for the family that I would have been much happier eating than the burger king meal. (pork chops and veggies).

Live and learn, right? Well, Guess I've got lunch for tomorrow.

No need for food funerals, really. I had one too not realizing that 7 months post op I can eat pretty much anything I want. I just choose not to.

Okay, except for the beer. Oh how I miss a nice micro brew ;)

I had several food funerals like you, and did notice as I got closer to surgery- food got worse and worse. I started to hate it because I had been relying on it so much, and it was costing my my health. It's funny though, I realized soon after, you don't need food funerals, you can still eat post surgery, some foods you just won't care for. I love hamburgers and chicken fingers and I ate them both afte surgery, it resulted in my hacking and puking my guts out to the point where they are not even remotely appetizing now. I would rather have a Greek yogurt. Post surgery you will be rewired for food differently, no need to have a funeral.

I went thru a few food funerals, then it just got old. I stopped that and started my pre-op diet a day early - I needed to feel like I was working towards something and not looking backwards. In retrospect, I didn't need to mourn food - I'm 18 months out and all that stuff that I mourned has very little appeal to me now.

I kinda did that but it is pointless because if you really wanted to you could probably eat those things some time after surgery just not as much. It's not worth it.

Like others said you will probably still be able to eat your favorites at some point postop, so there's really no need to have funerals. As for me, I had a yummy night of stuffing myself on Thai food planned for the night before my preop started. But my "last supper" never actually happened. It was a long day at work, I was tired, so I just got a Subway sandwich on my way home. Turns out I didn't miss out on anything cause I've had Thai dozens of times since then.

my food funeral was bitter sweet. I was made redundant along with 6 colleagues of mine and the company gave us an all expenses paid dinner at a swanky hotel in Melbourne - we decided to have the buffet meal as we had been there before as a team celebrating some high achievements we had made at work (meals alone were $100 a head!). The dinner was on my last night before I was to go on liquid diet (good timing btw), while I enjoyed dinner, dessert the drinking I honestly didn't go overboard and I thought I would!. I was still recovering from having the lapband removed so I never went wild in the 10 weeks between surgeries, I just ate sensibly knowing what was ahead of me and the commitment I needed for it.

I did want to have a couple of my favorite Chinese dishes from our local restaurant, but my insurance approval came through so quickly that my surgery date was moved up by a month. The day the surgeon's office called to let me know, I had to start my two week pre-op diet. Oh well. I can try them in another month, probably have it for 4 or 5 meals!

The week prior i went to a few of my favorite places, had my favorites dishes. Unfortunately my last meal gave me food poisoning! What a great way to start liquids!

I found out that I was having surgery a half a day before I had to start my pre-op diet so I didn't really have much time for a "funeral." I ALSO worked late that night, so I was getting home around 10PM. On my way home from work I got cheeseburger sliders and french fries from sheetz. I don't even like cheeseburgers or french fries from fast food places! It was just the only place open and I couldn't think of anything else. The cheeseburgers were TERRIBLE (I know this about myself: I hate fast food burgers. I have NO IDEA why I thought it would be a good idea????) The dumb thing is there are a million other food options at Sheetz. The other thing is that their french fries were actually REALLY good. It was my FIRST time ever eating them. So it was both a birth and a funeral at the same time? Apparently, I am really bad at decision making when I am panicked!

But luckily I had Breakfast the next morning to look forward to. I started my pre-op diet at lunch the next day. I was picking up my supplies mid-morning at the doctor's office and was told it was OK to eat a regular Breakfast. I had two fried eggs, a couple pieces of bacon and some toast with butter and jelly. MUCH better than the dumb Sheetz disaster of the night before.

I often wonder if I'd had more time what I would do for my "food funeral." I bet I would have had sushi. Or maybe mexican. Shrimp fajitas with flour tortillas and tableside gauc with my chips. I can still eat sushi (just skip the rice) and I can have fajitas and guac, just no tortillas and chips. So.. probably... food funerals are more symbolic than anything.

Edited by heynowkc

i have to admit - i had the whole " i will never get to eat this again i am pigging out now" episode and ate like i was on death row for about a week before my week long liquid diet - you name it i was eating it!!! - LOL - it was strange i had made so many changes - gave up cokes - quit smoking - started exercising - and totally freaked out the week before my liquid diet - but i got back on track and made it through and i didn't give up anything in the long run - i have learned to eat in moderation - i can still have those foods - although to be honest they do not really appeal to me much these days - but if i want a bit of something sweet i can have a bite or two and am satisfied for a very long time before those craving hit me again. So - yes - i had a week long food funeral!! Just to find out it wasn't even neccesary! LOL! :D

... ate like i was on death row for about a week ...

LOL! That is a wonderful line!

I quit smoking also. Strangely enough, the hardest lifestyle change I made was quitting the Diet Cokes. I craved that more than the ciggies, which is odd. I drank at least 2 liters a day. But now it's been over a year since I've had any. Can't say I miss it anymore.

I do have an inkling for a ciggie at least once a day, but it's only a minor nag.

Quitting smoking did teach me the difference between a physical craving and a mental one.

yes! Cigs are by far the hardest thing i have ever given up. Don't get me wrong...they are the best thing i have ever given up as well...but you know back in my younger days i will admit i used drugs (the illegal kind)(LOL) and it was easier to quit those than it was to stop smoking...true statement. Anyhooo...i kicked cigs and Dr. Pepper and i figured if i could do that i could handle WLS and all the changes and commitments that you make with that. So far...I'm right....