Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi. I'm new to the board and am considering surgery. My biggest hesitation is eating after the procedure. I love food and I love the social aspect of food (dining out with friends and family). How does it feel to be with others and only be able to eat a few bites? What does it feel like if you eat too much? Once you hit your goal weight, do you increase the amount of food you eat to maintain the weight?

I'm also nervous about having excess skin. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Jamie

It's a lifestyle change. You will have to view food in a different aspect. I still socialize only I typically will not eat. I will sip on Water with a twist of lemon. If you do eat, just educate yourself on food and make a healthy choice. Personally, I have never ate to much. I've received an extreme full feeling, but I've heard it can be extremely painful and damaging. Watch the documentary called "Hungry for Change" it is on Netflix. Good Luck on your journey.

If you considering surgery you need to be ready for a change because it is big. You will be about 2-3 months before your eating solid foods again and they will be limited. Example last night went to in laws house I had 2oz chicken breast about 1oz potato salad and half a deviled egg as my meal and felt like it was to much for about 20min. Is insurance paying for this or are you looking for a doctor? Most places in the states require you to go thru an orientation before and a mental evaluation. Just keep getting all the information you can

I have gone to orientation and am waiting to have my evaluations scheduled. The hospital/doctor's office doesn't schedule them until after they've talked to insurance company. I know my insurance won't cover it but it's the process they go through (and there's always hope that insurance might). I really want this and don't want to fail at it, so am trying to face my fears/anxiety and understand them (such as change in eating and excess skin). I'm almost 52, 100 pounds or so overweight, and having lots of joint pain and GI issues.

Another question - at the seminars and on-line I can find lots of positive testimonials/reviews, but not many negative. Would love to hear from people who regret the surgery or who have bad experiences what those are.

I'm about 25 lbs. from my surgeon's goal weight for me, and the above posts are completely correct- it is a total mindset shift about food & our relationship with it. I still love going to restaurants, but most of the time, it's a "fail" because a lot of what's on the menu isn't bariatric friendly. Usually, I'll just order an appetizer or even something off the kid's menu...eat what I can, then don't feel bad when there's leftover food on the plate. Feeling "full" is completely different now too, and not at all pleasant. Before surgery, stuffing myself made me happy, sleepy, and very content. Now, it's extremely uncomfortable- something like pressing your fist into the end of your breastbone, right where your ribs split apart. Sometimes I actually miss that happy, sluggish feeing, I'll admit it- but I don't regret my surgery for one second. :)

Hi. I'm new to the board and am considering surgery. My biggest hesitation is eating after the procedure. I love food and I love the social aspect of food (dining out with friends and family). How does it feel to be with others and only be able to eat a few bites? What does it feel like if you eat too much? Once you hit your goal weight, do you increase the amount of food you eat to maintain the weight?

I'm also nervous about having excess skin. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Jamie

Hi Jamie. I worried about the same things but I can tell you that I still love food and still enjoy the socialness of eating out with friends/family. I eat differently...fish instead of meat...small portions..and healthier choices all around. It's not a big deal for me to eat less than everyone else. I sit and chat and enjoy being with people and...here's the best part. when I walk away from the table, I'm not stuffed like a pig. I'm satiated but not full. I feel in control and do not feel like once again, I've eaten too much or made bad choices. It's all the good stuff without the guilt.

Oh and I have lots of excess skin. When you are in your 50's as I am and lose 150 lbs. you have loose skin. Can't do anything about it but in clothes, no one can see the wrinkled skin and I look pretty damn good these days, loose skin and all. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Welcome to the forum! It is very wise of you to consider all aspects of life after WLS. I had many of the same concerns as you. I am just now 4 months post op and down 50 pounds, about 47% of my excess body weight! I love to cook, have large family meals, and eat out as a form of socializing. None of that has changed much! I still cook, enjoy my family together, and enjoy our friends. The only difference is I eat less and better food choices. It really isn't a big deal because now that I eat slower, I have plenty of time to visit with everyone and relax through the meal. My family is benefitting from my surgery also. Our meals are healthier, we go to the gym as a family including my 8 & 11 year old boys, we take a lot of walks together, it is just a lot more quality time together. I am also much happier with myself now that I am losing weight and I am not nearly as self conscious. The weight loss is helping me become a more involved mom and person. I no longer shun involvement in activities and am a lot more confident.

The surgery definitely changes you, but for me the positive changes outweigh the negatives by far !

So far my skin isn't too bad. My arms and thighs are holding up pretty well. My belly doesn't have much hope , but I knew that going into surgery. My two pregnancies did most of the damage and my weight just added insult to injury. I knew from the start the only way my drama wouldn't be jiggly or full of loose skin would be by having another surgery . I am ok with it because I am gaining so much of my life back. I will either have a jiggle belly or go back under the knife. I am also working very hard at the gym and have been since my surgeon cleared me. Strength training is as important to me as cardio. The muscle mass I am gaining will help keep the skin issues from becoming as bad as they could be.

Great job considering all aspects of life after surgery and asking questions now. The more you know now, the easier your decision will be. Please keep reading and asking questions . The members on this forum are wonderful and supportive. You have come to the right place.

I enjoyed foods and that was one of the contributors to my excess weight before surgery. I loved the taste of food. After surgery, that is all gone. My taste buds changed. I use to like lobster dipped in butter. Can't stand it anymore. I am 22 months post op from RNY gastric bypass surgery. If I eat more than a cup of food at a meal, my body punishes me. But on the other side, after the surgery I found that I no longer had "hunger" constantly gnawing at my bones 24/7. Without hunger, the weight simply melted off my body.

I experienced a little excess skin. It showed up mostly as very fine wrinkles in my face. I began using BioOil which I bought at CVS. I applied it once each morning and the wrinkles went away.

I still go out to restaurants to eat but my meal size is very limited. If I order a full portion, I take most of it home as 2 or 3 days of leftovers.

The surgery resolved many of my medical issues such as diabetes and high blood pressure. So it was a good decision and I would do it over again in a heartbeat.