Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overwhelmed & feeling uncertain about all the food changes?

Hi everyone - I am strongly considering the bariatric sleeve surgery & have done my initial intro seminar & surgeon appt. and continue researching everything, however, I am feeling really overwhelmed and uncertain about all the food changes, mostly about never having bread or carbs again. I know I need to do this and I want to make these changes, but I am struggling with figuring out how to completely eliminate carbs & all sugars??? It also means changing how my husband eats and I'm not sure that he is totally on board yet with all the drastic changes that will affect both of us. He wants me healthy and I want me healthy but I'm just feeling uncertain that I can make all these drastic changes forever more. Like what about vacations, holidays, multiple church potlucks & eating out? I try to eat relatively healthy but obviously there is a reason I need this surgery & I don't know how to totally make over/eliminate all the many recipes my family is used to that contain Pasta, rice, bread, etc., etc., etc. Can anyone relate and how do you make all these changes necessary before you even get to the surgery, then forever after??? And where do you find bariatric friendly recipes? Also, how did your family adjust to the changes?

(I appreciate your comments, but please not haters or negative comments, this decision is hard enough as it is, thanks!)

Hugs :)

Edited by Hugs :)

I felt the way you did too. After taking the orientation I was kind of depressed to think that these small outings with my fiance will have to either be limited or eliminated because of how I feel about food... however, after a nice nap my views changed. Your thinking with your food based mind. Once you start to get into the habit of understanding a proper meal, things like sugars and breads wont even be on the top of your list. Take time to contemplate what your weighing out here - There's more to life than sugars and carbs.

It doesn't have to change the way your husband eats. The way my husband and I cook now, I just have the Protein from whatever meal he's having. chicken and rice? I have just chicken. Meatloaf and mashed potatoes? I have the meatloaf. Shrimp and Pasta? I have the shrimp. It works out great, because he still gets to eat as much as he was eating before and we still eat mostly the same "regular" meals as before, I just skip the carbs. Plus, I only eat about half as much meat as I did before, so I save the other half of my meat as leftovers to have for lunch later in the week. It works out pretty great!

Edit: As for eating out and attending parties and such, the great news is there is ALWAYS meat! When eating out, get a meat-based appetizer like chicken or shrimp. Eat half and get the other half to-go for a lunch later. Or if there are no good app options, share a meal with your husband. Have him order an entree with a couple of sides and just have him give you a portion of the meat. Most restaurants will bring you an extra plate if you ask nicely. For pot-lucks and parties, there's usually various meat options. The Super Bowl party I went to had chili and buffalo chicken dip. Pretty easy! Worst case, bring something you KNOW you can eat as your dish-to-pass!

Edited by JamieLogical

I'm 4 months post op, and although the crabs and sweets are forbidden, that's mostly the only things I can tolerate. I don't want to encourage anyone to do what you're not supposed to do, but I still lost 50 pounds in 4 months and I'm still losing.

It does make me sad that other foods hurt - like chicken, Pasta, salad, veggies....but I try to eat what I can to at least get some nutrition in my body. I live off smoothie King and Starbucks strawberry smoothies (they have bananna and Protein too).

Don't be afraid...these foods will most likely not be what you'll want afterward, if you do, you will only be able to have a bite or two and you'll be done. For me it's not a carb/sweets death sentence...if I want some, I'll try a bite. Eventually we should be able to eat some...it's not forever! :-)

Good luck!!! You will be ok!! :-) Blessings!

We do it like @@JamieLogical described. I don't expect my husband to follow the same diet as me, nor do I think that would be fair if the tables were turned. :)

There are literally thousands of bariatric friendly / low carb recipes available for free on the Internet and many many cookbooks as well. Do some research, you will be pleasantly surprised at the variety of tasty foods that will be available to you, even after surgery.

It can seem VERY overwhelming when you are starting out. So much info, so many changes, it's crazy.

That is one reason I was so glad that I had to do a 6 month diet supervised by my doc. It really gave me time to wrap my head around how my life was going to change. I needed that time to understand how and why I was eating the way I was. some of it was pure lazinesss, some was emotional and some was just because I liked it. I didn't lose much weight during that 6 months but I didn't gain any either. So when my surgery date came I knew I was ready, especially when they moved my surgery from November 3rd to October 27th. Yikes!! I am a planner and that thur me off a little. lol

The first few months I know for me I wasn't sure if I was doing things right, if I could have been doing more, but I trudged on thru and now I know I was doing everything right. I now have a NEW normal for me. I don't feel weird or different when I am out, I'm just me living my life the way I always should have.

I am also very lucky because my husband and daughter are great about meals and try to help plan around what I can eat. And when I make them something that isn't the best for me I always have either tunafish or chicken on hand for me. As you go thru it day by day it will be easier, it does take planning and being prepared but it just makes it easier for you.

I just got back from a 6 day trip to Disneyland and I had a blast, I ate at the parks, I brought my Protein powder and Quest bars with me and you know what when I got home I got on the scale the next day I had lost two pounds. Life after gastric sleeve surgery is DOABLE!! It might not be always easy but it is doable.

Sorry this is so long I could go on and on, but remember why you are doing this. Good Luck with your journey!!

In many cases, you can simply cook the heaviest carbs (rice, Pasta, potatoes, etc.) separate from the protein/sauce. You can also try substituting things like cauliflower for potatoes, zucchini shreds for Pasta, and so on.

Cooking your own food from scratch makes this much easier as most prepackaged foods are loaded with carbs.

Keep in mind that you will be eating such small portions to start with that you won't have room for more than the Protein for a few months anyway. So even if you make something like spaghetti with meatballs, you would just eat a few meatballs.You'll be on purees soon after surgery and you can make those with any Protein and broth or a light sauce.

Just remember that it's all about moderation, just as it was before surgery. So just think about being more restrictive on your diet until you get close to your goal weight then start adding back in carbs such as bread, pasta, etc. Try and find that balance that keeps you at a healthy weight.

Best of luck to you!

Edited by AlwaysVegas

Also remember that special occasions may present challenges but if you focus on the people, the conversations, the pleasure of being together, the food becomes so much less important. ☺️

I haven't had surgery yet (hope to be scheduled early May 2015), but I have a similar concern about making meals with my husband. While he's supportive, he's also a foodie. We've discussed the changes, and he's on board. I'm still suspicious that its going to be tougher than I wish it was. But like someone said, what ever we make, I can just eat the Protein. I'm not sure I'll care about the Pasta and bread. I already order appetizers, give portions of my meal to my husband when out to eat so, that's not a biggie for me either. Frankly, I'm looking forward to just not being able to eat out of politeness, and be able to say no, I'm full.

I'm going to just think for the short term after surgery. Take one day at a time, get through each phase and while researching recipes for the future.

I am still a foodie PostOp. We frequent some pretty cool restaraunts and food trucks. I just eat the Protein of whatever I order and the vegetables. I don't order starches, Pasta or fried foods. Restaraunt meals equal about 4-5 meals for me as I put the leftovers in small portions for my lunches.

Edited by ProjectMe

@@ProjectMe how far along are you post-op? Does it still hurt to eat? I'm 4 months post op...it still hurts... :-(

I am 3 months PostOP. It doesn't hurt when I eat. I can eat more of some things, and less of others. For example, I can eat almost a cup of turkey chili, but only 2 ounces of chicken. It's important to know your full signal so that you don't overeat. My signal is that I get the hiccups.

@@ProjectMe ooooohhh....good points...

I just had 1/2 a fried chicken drum stick and about 3-4 spoons of mashed potato...I stopped after that...no pain! Maybe I'm just eating way too much of the solid Proteins and that's why it hurts...

I know fried isn't good, but I'm glad I got some chicken down...if you can do it 3 months post op, I should be able to as well. I think I've just been too scared of the pain. And maybe I don't chew as well as I should.

Thanks for sharing!!! :-)

You can eat carbs. You can even eat breads & such in moderation. I have a long way to go so I personally avoid breàds, pastas, etc... However I do eat a lot of carbs because I a vegetarian and most of my plant based Proteins also contain carbs. I still eat out at restaurants and the like, but at home I cool mostly from scratch.

I had a lot of questions pre-op and I did a lot of research in my own as well as discussed things with my nutritionist.

Edited by BLERDgirl