Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Band or Not to Band...

So I have decided to finally have WLS after 10 years dreaming about it. I was hoping for gastric bypass, just because I'm in love with the quick bypass results. Unfortunately, my insurance has a $10k max on WLS. So banding is really my only option. I am warming up to the idea of lap band. I like the fact that banders don't have that typical WLS look to them several months post-op. The weight loss is slower and more natural. I am 5'3" 240lbs. My goal is 155lbs. Any tips or advice about choosing the band?!

Hi BandingBeauty,

Congrats on being approved for surgery - I have the band, and I think you're going to be just fine.

One of the biggest keys I've found for lap band patients is that you have to be comfortable with being more self-directed and self-motivated. You won't necessarily find the quick weight loss that bypass patients can experience, so you'll have to have your "head game" right before surgery.

Start eating like a bandster now - change your eating habits to includes foods you'll be relying on after surgery - look into different sources of Protein, for instance. I can no longer tolerate beef (steak, etc) but I can still eat hamburger. I eat fish and chicken, but I also use other Protein sources.

Start now to get used to REALLY chewing your food, weighing and measuring everything you eat, and start trying to slow down the speed at which you eat. Trying to eat fast will definitely cause problems post-op. I underwent lap band surgery in Nov 2008 and lost 85 lbs in 14 months. I rebounded a little - mostly due to my own "head issues" - but I'm on the losing side again.

Because you've been waiting for WLS for so long, I get the feeling that you're pretty motivated - and that will work GREAT in your favor! Feel free to ask any questions as they come to your mind - I'm happy to try and help!

I am warming up to the idea of lap band. I like the fact that banders don't have that typical WLS look to them several months post-op. The weight loss is slower and more natural. I am 5'3" 240lbs. My goal is 155lbs. Any tips or advice about choosing the band?!

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from....The band is adjustable, which lets you, (and your Dr.) use it which ever way you want according to your comfort level....

I'm 5'8", started at 275+, and within a year to a year and a half, lost over 100lbs...nothing slow and natural about that...just a return to "Normalcy"

But I don't have that "Look" you refer to either...as a matter of fact I never looked healthier and more fit...and get compliments all the time. Especially at the gym from people who will never know I had WLS...

And my Dr.'s ( I was seeing 5 specialties once upon a time) could not be more pleased...especially my cardiologist..

But again, it is adjustable...

I tried every diet under the sun, failed at them all...so the band, for me, did what I could never do for myself...I have no discipline and self control when it comes to food and eating...but the band fixed all that for me....controls my eating, and has taken away my hunger....that is why I had WLS after all...

If I could have done this myself, I would have.

For me, this was a "easy" quick fix...the magic bullet, the easy way out...all the cliche's, pick one.....I don't care...it worked and was simple (for me)

Sure there is a lot to learn, many lessons, some the hard way...there are foods I will never eat again.

I can't even drink Water the same way again...but I do drink Beer (NOT condoning it at all!!!, my Dr. knows)

But I have no fear of ever gaining weight again..."Diet" is a four letter word.

Other people, have more self control and discipline, and as you read through this forum, all the talk and discussions sound very much like traditional dieting plans and methods...talk as if it were a weight watchers website and not that for people with weight loss surgeries.......they go easy and light on the fills (Band Adjustments)

Again, it is adjustable to how you want it to work for you...and as long as you loose the weight and excess fat, and be 100% successful, then that is all that matters...can't argue with success.

Edited by B-52

I don't know how quickly folks lose who had different WLS but for me, I've lost more than 150 lbs. in a two year timespan....around 100 of those lbs. during year one. I think that's pretty darn quick if I say so myself.

I lost seventy in my first year (I'm sixteen months out). Your post makes me realize that I may be going a bit slowly now because I am very private and don't like to be noticed or commented on -- in that way slower is definitely better but I am ready to go for the next chunk. Also I don't have loose skin and have just generally enjoyed being banded without working really hard on it -- having the appetite monster off my back is a marvellous thing. Good luck with all! I love my band and the fact that all of my stomach is still there (but not the Winnie-the-Pooh belly!).

Thank you all for the encouragement. This is my first post and I wasn't sure I'd even have any responses. It's encouraging to know I have people that I don't even know personally that will be supporting me on this journey. I'm also so grateful to hear success stories. I have only known two previous banders and they were very unsuccessful. They both only lost about 30-35lbs leaving them both 120lbs short of their goal. I was more than disappointed when the dr told me that with my insurance the only choice I would have without bankrupting me would be the band. Now I have channeled my bypass excited into band excitement. I'm calling the dr's office now! ????

I'm adding my 2 cents I think COMPLIANCY is a huge issue. . You can find ways to sabotage any WLS if ya try enough.

The key to me was to give in and not overthink this process. It will work almost all the time if you follow rules about Protein, Water, exercise. And self love. That last one took me awhile. I had fought and lost the weight battle so many times. I was successful in lots of other things. Couldn't get a grip on keeping weight off. Till now. I do believe in this process????❤️

I too have waited many years thinking about WLS. I work in healthcare and see so many bypass complications that haunt patients for years. I don't see band patients though (I work in a bariatric hospital). I have the issue that even though I know I'm overweight I don't feel overweight. I'm very active and "see" myself skinnier then I really am. I lost 110 lbs in one year (11 yrs ago) doing Atkins/exercise.....kept it off for 2-3 yrs then it started to creep back. I've gained 60 back total, so not a total loss!

I decided on getting banded this past fall, have done all the work for approval (lost 18 lbs too!) and got my surgery date today! April 16th will be here before I know it!!

I wish you the best with your band and know that we are taking a great step towards healthier lives!!!

I have been posting on the sleeve forum as I currently have the band (2008) and hate it and am considering revision.

Let me say on here what I said on there. ALL WLS IS A CRAP SHOOT.

You aren't going to know how you do with it (even if you comply) until you have it. You will find those who hate their WLS and have complications. You will also find those who love their WLS and have been very successful.

My band never did one thing it was promoted as doing. It never allowed me to feel satisfied. It was like that big empty stomach below was saying "Hey, I'm still hungry - feed me" but I was physically unable to eat more due to pressure/pain if I did. So, for me the band was the worst of both worlds (didn't help me to lose weight, didn't provide satiety and was always hungry). Plus I had a major stuck episode (2009) that took me to the ER. I am sure getting shot couldn't be more painful. I couldn't even talk. If this happens to you - you will definitely question your choice. I had all the fill removed then.

Had I known this was how the band would be for me do you think I would have gotten it? But we don't know until after it's done. So, all WLS is a risk (I'm not talking surgical risk) as to whether it will be successful for you.

I can so identify with those who say the same thing I have said. But there are also many who just love their band and have been very successful.

It's a tough choice but I would never encourage anyone to have the band based on my results. Plus there are some surgeons who don't do the band anymore and Allergan has gone out of the band business. You have to ask yourself why this is. Plus research has shown that the band is the least effective WLS for long term weight loss (keeping it off) and about 50% eventually have theirs removed.

Please don't kill the messenger! :)

I'm 2 1/2 months post op and down 59 pounds that I will never see again. I was banded vs the sleeve. I have to say it was a much better choice for me. I have another 60 pounds to go to hit my comfort level and I know "I" will do it. I now have the will, the desire and the tools to make it happen. I eat differently now and eat different things that I never have eaten in my life.

Everyday I am learning something new and all I can say is that it works and it will work for you!

JoJoNYC -

That's awesome! Keep up the good work :)

Kristi