Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Arkansas Bansters!!!

i am doing really well. thanks for asking. swelling has all gone down. i was starving this week and when i called the doctor they told me that i could go ahead into the mushy stage. so, i've been eating normal foods like vienna sausages (i even had some chicken and it went down fine) and mashed potatoes. i have lost between 10 and 15 pounds so far. i am not weighing myself again for another week because i know a lot of it is Fluid.

i start curves again tomorrow. (well maybe, i think i may be coming down with strept throat).

be prepared..it is very hard not drinking after you eat. well, not very hard, it is more of a problem trying to remember not to drink. i try to eat something that is a little more moist for my last bite and then i brush my teeth or something. it is hard getting all of your liquids in because you eat...then you can't drink...then you aren't hungry so you forget to eat and drink until you are hungry again..and then you can't drink again ;) (at least that is they way that it has been for me).

well mommathang, it sounds like things are going along great for you. i didn't have to do the pre-op diet, good luck on that. i've already "cheated" on this diet (it was time for my monthlies and i DIE for sweets then and only then). so i gave in, but it's not a big deal to me, because this is a lifestyle.

anyways, i feel like i'm rambling a bit (when i'm sick i do that).

hope everyone else is doing well.

lindata, your op date will be here before you know it.

5 more days to surgery!!

Bandster 1007, about the not drinking and eating thing, that's something I've been thinking a lot about as well - and about forgetting to drink in between to get enough fluids. That's great you've lost so much in a month! Some people don't lose anything or even gain right after their surgery.

I'm so nervous right now I think I've checked just about every thread on this website!

Linda

i actually lost all of that weight in a week! lol..that is why i am not weighing anymore. dr. wellborn says that most people lost quite a bit right after surgery because they lose the Water weight that they carry around.

he told me that ketosis would start around day 9, i think i'm getting there. i do not have strept (thank goodness) just a nasty cold...and the fatigue from ketosis.

it is not as easy as i thought, being in the mushy stage. this is when your willpower is tested. for instance, brownies are soft :boink:. not to mention that you really get full fast. this morning i had a scrambled egg with cheese and i wasn't completely full so i grabbed some yogurt. about 2 bites later and i was stuffed. if you focus on eating your Protein there really isn't room for much other food. i'm still trying to figure out how i can get that much Protein in a day.

oh yeah..i got really nervous right before surgery. i was addicted to this site. my dh said this site was like my bible at that time because i needed to read posts so badly and this was my primary source of information. i was really nervous the day before..i was so nervous that i did not even really want to eat (you know last meal :boink:). it passes though, it is really not bad. the pain is not bad and if you are like me, the first week will pass quickly because the meds will keep you in a blur.

make sure you have a heating pad and someone to shovel broth at you when you get home. it's also good if you have all your laundry and stuff done. it hurts to bend over the washing machine (if you are short like me) fresh out of surgery..and forget carrying the basket for a while.

Glad to hear things are going good bandster! I am on that lovely rollercoaster of emotions...LOL I am so excited though. I feel like it will never get here. Was Dr. Wellborn really nice? What did your consultation consist of? I am just trying to get a heads up. LOL

Lindata-I know how that is....I swear I have read everything on here. LOL And I think I have looked at all the before and after pics about a million times. It's nice to have other people going through the same thing.

Be sure and keep us posted, I look forward to hearing from ya'll!

Mammathang - before and after pics, yes, definitely about a million times here too! That thread and the thread about after reaching your goal weight really keeps me inspired to do this.

Bandster - you mentioned ketosis. Are you doing a low-carb diet then? If so you'll lose loads. And Bible is an accurate description of this place for me as well right now. I'm so nervous, I'm actually getting butterflies as I write this.

This sounds morbid but I'd like to share. I'm telling my husband all the things he has to make sure he does with my son if I die. Did anyone else go through this worry?

Another thing, I'll be very pampered because my parents are coming to stay with us for two weeks to help take care of my son (and me too, I guess!) I feel almost guilty writing that!

Linda

i went through the exact same thing...about my son. i thought about journaling the whole day right before surgery..and i even considered leaving a note for dh to find if something happened. i didn't "let" myself do those things though because i was trying to push the thoughts aside and not embrace them.

i think that is completely normal. the funny thing to me was that i have had several surgeries before and i was not afraid of any of them, but i was terrified the day before having this done....terrified.

Bandster, thanks for your response. I want to leave notes too and I've been telling dh what to do "if" IT happens. I'm trying to live my life positively too though and don't want to attract anything negative. Me and my son had a wonderful relaxing day today - no yelling! We just hung out at the library and playground and talked for about an hour (an hour is big since he's only 3.5 years!) I'm just trying to be the best mom I can be just "in case".

Linda

Hello Everyone! I hope you all are doing okay! Sorry it has been so long since I have written. I went to my first seminar on 10-30-07 with Dr. Baker. It was interesting. He showed us a live surgery of the laporscopic lapband and the gastric bypass. I found out that everyone who has the surgery has to be on a preop diet for 2 weeks regardless of your BMI. Now, i am waiting to hear back from the insurance company.

Bandster 1007, I hope everything is going well with you. Are you having much trouble with life after the band? To me, that is the scariest part, life after the band. How do you know to go to the doctor if something is wrong? Concentrating on chewing 1000 times, taking smaller bites, not drinking with food. That has to be hard!!

Lindata, congrats on your surgery and I am glad you are okay!!

SGACX

well, SGACX, the post op diet may be easier for you because you have to do a pre op diet. my doctor's office only makes people do a preop diet if there BMI is over 45. My liver was not swollen.

It has been hell for me these past couple of weeks because it is just SSSSSOOOOOOO hard. i never realized the control that food had over me, and i'm having to deal a lot emotionally with how much food is involved in my life. i wasn't expecting it...and now i'm dealing with it. i've been very depressed.

however, with that said, i had minimal pain. i actually find it very easy not drinking with meals. i mean, yeah, for the first few meals i would reach for a drink out of habit, but then after that it is no big deal. i suck on a sour sugarfree candy, brush my teeth, or use mouthwash after i eat. that helps.

i am having trouble following the post op diet. for some reason, now i want to eat hard candy..and i didn't have that problem before. i am not having a problem with hunger though, and sometimes i feel like i could just not eat, but i do because i need the Protein.

For me recovery was very fast, at least as far as the extreme pain. however, i am very tired now....very very very very tired. i'm going to work out today. hopefully that helps.

it's still worth the weight that i have lost.

WAY TO GO LINDATA (i haven't been able to access the site for a couple of days) how is everything going?

I just wanted to wish you guys some encouragement. Keep hanging in there. Lindata - I have a 3 year old too, and had two or three new mommies picked out before surgery...just in case...I know where you're coming from.

1007-I was very tired too the first few weeks and found that if I increased my Protein intake I felt MUCH better overnight. I couldn't hold much of anything so I tried to take in one myoplex shake throughout the day and it helped. I think it has like 43 g of protein. You'll be amazed at how good you feel if you try it for about 3 days.

Good luck to all!

Thanks everyone! I've been doing better every day, getting used to things. I'm not sure how to get enough Water in in a day though.

Bandster, maybe you're craving hard candy because you know that's the only thing your tummy can tolerate right now, know what I mean? Like, you can't have chips or fast food. Just throwing thoughts out there.

Linda

Hello,

I am new here and live in Bentonville. NW Arkansas. I have actually been looking at the Weightloss surgical center in MO. however I can not find anyone on this site who has heard of the doctor I am looking at. Dr Nigro.

I attended the siminar online and have been cramming all of the information I can find on lap-band. It has become a bit of an obsession. I know this is the answer, but I am going through emotional hell. one day excited, one day sad, one day sure I will fail, and then on clear days I know this is right and I CAN do it.

I am set up for my first consultation on Nov29. So scared.

I am so happy for all of you who have done it. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!

Have a good one,

smiletracy :)