Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So in the last several weeks I've really increased the intensity of my workouts. I've moved from plain walks to interval training, and I'm doing strength training with pretty heavy weights (8 rep range) 2-3 times a week. So far it's been going well and I feel well-- I like to motivate myself by pretending to be, like, the Black Widow or Emma Peel and tell myself that I need those squats to kick bad guys in the face. :) These workouts are quite intense for me - HR above 140 in the cardio, working muscles to near-fatigue in the strength training.

However, a few times I have noticed that after a workout I get low blood sugar symptoms - like I've burned through all my fuel. I get very shaky and muddle-headed. After the first time it happened I now try to work out within an hour or so of having a protein-rich snack and then I bring a Quest bar or something with me to eat afterward.

What has your experience been with pre-and post-workout eating? Do you time your workouts around mealtimes, and if so, how? what mix of Proteins and carbs works best to fuel a workout and not get a sugar low afterward?

I am five months out from the sleeve surgery if it makes a difference in your answer.

On the NSV side today, I had a therapy appointment and my therapist remarked that he noticed a difference in me since the last appointment - that I seemed more energetic and spry. Gotta love it!

I try to bookend my workouts with Protein. If I am working out in the morning I have a pre-gym Protein Shake. When I workout in the after noon I often have 1 ounce of nuts. Usually almonds or pistachios. It helps with my energy level and keeps me from starving. Otherwise I will eat anything that moves.

My nut and my trainer have told me to have a snack an hr before and a meal an hr after. So I eat and egg or some deli meat or if I can stomach it a shake. Then after I eat a whole meal, normally fish or vegan burgers since I can't hold most meats down. It will help with that shaky light headed low sugar level feeling. We are eating so little and burning so much that it happens. Good luck. I was there myself last week!

Hi I was told your biggest meal should be your lunch, I work out 5 days a week for 2 hours I would either have a Protein Shake after my workout or some Protein like a slice of turkey, Protein Bar that way it curbs your appetite . Good luck and congrats on being healthy.

I've always worked out on an empty stomach, before any eating, usually at 5-6am every morning....(but I need my coffee)

Body fat is stored energy we, as hunters and gatherers, store away for periods of famine when there is nothing to hunt and gather....

So when I worked out I focused on using up that "reserve"...after my workouts I would have a high Protein "Recovery" shake, also a Meal Replacement, and I am good to go all day!

This worked for me, I now have a very, very low body fat %...in the athletic range.

Also I used to be a diabetic...no more!

I have found that the same thing happens to me. I like to work out in the mornings for an hour everyday. I started having a Protein shake 30 minutes before my work out which then allowed me to drink Water during my workout. After my workout. Usually will have a yogurt with Protein rich granola. Ever since I started doing that, I feel more energy following my workout.

Good luck!

I was told never to work out on an empty stomach but both my nutritionist and my the trainer I had at the time. Protein fuels your workout and causes your body to burn fat instead. So by eating a light snack or Protein shake at least 30 minutes before a workout you have more energy to fuel your workout. It's the same reason why athletes carb load before working out. Eating protein post workout also aides in your recovery and again cause the body to burn fat instead of muscle. So for me if I am working out in the morning, a Protein Shake will do. I make a large one and have half before and half afterwards. When I work out in the afternoon and evening I don't eat beforehand if I have been eating well all day. I will have an ounce of nuts post workout. I find especially post workout, I get the shakes if I don't have something handy and will often lead to me hitting a drive through and getting something unhealthy because I am ravenous.

I just started working out with a private trainer (this is my 2nd week and she is kicking my butt!!). My very first workout, after I finished, I felt the same as you described. I am a pretty hardy person, but I felt so shaky and light headed. She told me to increase my Protein by 40 grams on workout days (2 days with trainer, one for cardio). My appointments are at 9 in the morning. I've never been a big Breakfast eater anyway, but since being banded, I am more restricted in the morning so I am having to make sure I eat something as having a shake did not cut it. But I have been doing ok with high Protein Bars on the way there, Water or Protein Water on the way home, and a meal at lunch time.

keep up the good work! :-)

I usually workout on an empty stomach. I did a 37 mile bike ride on Saturday (difficult ride with hills). I started the day with some caffeine and a Protein shake about 2 hrs before. I can't eat too solid food on the ride because I sweat so much and have to drink a lot. I have one bottle of Water and one of a 100 cal mixture in the other bottle had to refill one bottle. The ride took 2.5 hrs of solid riding. I also take some energy gel and shot bloks (for the sodium) this does not affect the band. I do a recover drink after the ride.

During the week I workout for 1-2 hrs early morning on an empty stomach and feel great. If I workout with food in my stomach I can't drink enough and get an upset stomach.

This is what works best for me. I am planning on doing a century in June plus a couple of shorter sponsored rides this summer. Even the century I don't eat too much and it us usually in gel or liquid form due to the need to drink so much Water. My biggest thing is getting enough water and sodium.

I don't necessary work out on an empty stomach, I usually have eaten a meal about 2 hours prior to afternoon workout and at least a Protein shake about 30 minutes prior if I am working out in the morning. Like you, I really work out at a high intensity. I do both cardio and strength training 6 days a week (3 in a row, day off, 3 in a row). I see a trainer 2 days a week and we focus on heavy weight at lower reps and it really gets the heart rate going. I switch up the cardio with intervals, and incline on the treadmill with 2 long days a week.

Without fail, every workout day I bring a Protein Shake with me and either leave it in the car (getting too hot for that) or bring it in the gym. I have it within 5 minutes of finishing my workouts. I really think this has help with the muscle recovery. I upped my Protein intake to about 120 grams on workout days and about 100 on off days. I have no problem with muscle recovery after workouts now. I would see about increasing your protein if you are able to do so. I do supplement my protein with 2 shakes a day usually.

Congrats on your success so far, keep up the great work!

Best of luck!!

Edited by tamg26k

Well all I can say is that I'll follow my trainer and nut cause I even see a lot of people in the gym drinking Protein WHILE they are working out and they have lean muscles and very letting body fat they must be doing something wrong when I was doing things oh so wrong for a long time!

I have the same issues with feeling foggy and light headed after a hard workout. What has really helped me keep it together is the following routine:

-Eat 1 Quest bar 45 minutes prior to work out

24 oz ice Water with 1 scoop of Syntrax nectar Roadside Lemonade that I drink during my workout. Then regular Water once I have finished my Protein water.

After my workout I eat 2 oz of lunch meat and cheese ( like a homemade P3 snack) and 2 snack crackers (either Ritz or Keebler Club crackers) as I drive home. I will have to find a different snack that will keep in the car once the weather warms up. Or start using an insulated lunch bag.

I really had to play with my intake to find what works best for my needs. I don't need the after workout snack on days I don't do strength training. It seems like a lot of food in a short amount of time, but it really isn't. I do an hour of cardio 5-6 days a week and an additional 60-80 minutes of strength training 3-4 days a week. I did have to add a small amount of carbs (2 crackers) after my strength training to keep my blood sugar from tanking while I wait for the Protein to be digested. Play around with your intake and journal how you feel with each change and the timing until you find what works for you and your body's needs.

I am glad to see you are reaping the positive benefits of exercise! It is addicting once you get past the reluctance of wanting to go to the gym. The physical changes will come fast now that they have started! Congrats!

Oh and I must be doing something right. My PT just did my body fat analysis and of the weight I have lost 99.7% has been all fat! I haven't lost any mentionable muscle mass. She was really impressed and said it is VERY rare for WLS patients to not lose any muscle mass in the post op period. I will take it any day!

Edited by Luvin_Life125