Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My New Protein Treasure(s)

I'm not one to promote products, really, but I see so many posts about folks not being able to get their surgeon's recommended daily Protein intake that I thought I'd toss a couple of options out there that are really helping me. I'm approaching 5 months post RNY, and still get the vast majority of my protein from whey isolate shakes. My surgeon doesn't necessarily have an issue with it, and I realize that at my point in this journey I should be getting more protein from food than shakes, but I simply can't tolerate meat of any kind, and the thought of eating an egg in any form makes me want to gag ;)

Anyhow, I've been searching for a break from the Premier Protein bandwagon, and have found two products that I actually enjoy and are much lower in carbs than Premier, and don't taste like watery milk. The first is Pure Protein banana Cream shakes (a shake, yes... I know). These work well for me because they're lower in calories and just 1 carb/35g of protein in 11oz. And they actually taste like Banana Cream. Rather pricey- $32 for a dozen where I live, but definitely a nice break from the chocolate/vanilla humdrum. Even better than the Pure Protein is a product called Syntrax Nectar. I can only find it at the Vitamin Shop, and after trying several of the single serve packs, have decided that they're a great alternative for protein. Each scoop has 23g, and can be mixed with Water. I can easily nurse two 24 oz water bottles throughout the day, each with two scoops to give me 92g of protein in 400 calories with zero carbs, before even eating anything. Now, the canister claims it tastes just like refreshing fruit juice....I don't know that I'd go that far, but they do have decent flavors like strawberry Kiwi, Fuzzy Navel and Colada Cooler, all of which I found to be pretty decent. It's also pricey- $40 here for a 2lb canister, but if you're looking for a break, could be worth it.

Good luck to those who struggle with protein- we'll all get there :)

Thanks for sharing! I've been wanting to try the Syntrax nectar flavors. Which one(s) did you try?

Thanks for sharing, I'm a little over a year out and have hit a plateau. I think it's from not being able to take in enough Protein. I still have a hard time with meats, so I also use shakes. The nectar sounds like a nice change :)

Thankyou so much for sharing! I just had a look for the Syntrax Nectars and read that the fuzzy navel was the most popular flavour. I have just found this on ebay and i am very excited as its hard to find these down here in Australia! I have just purchased it .. Now waiting patiently for it to be shipped to me, will probably be a few weeks but thats ok :) just cant wait to try this!

Thanks again xox

Thanks for sharing! I've been wanting to try the Syntrax nectar flavors. Which one(s) did you try?

I'm also a big fan of Syntrax Nectar. My favorites are the Cappuccino and the vanilla bean. Those, and a couple of others, I prefer to mix with milk.

I've tried several of the fruity flavors and found them all good, it's just a matter of personal tastes. Twisted cherry and strawberry Kiwi are my favorites right now. Oh, and Roadside Lemonaide.

I've tried the fuzzy navel, strawberry kiwi and colada cooler (or something like that). They were all pretty decent, but I just finished my first giant canister of the strawberry. They mix much better in a blender, but they foam up like crazy! What I've found is that I'll blend a big shake the night before, and give it overnight to "de-foam", then add the remaining Water in the morning to take to work.

I've tried the fuzzy navel, strawberry kiwi and colada cooler (or something like that). They were all pretty decent, but I just finished my first giant canister of the strawberry. They mix much better in a blender, but they foam up like crazy! What I've found is that I'll blend a big shake the night before, and give it overnight to "de-foam", then add the remaining Water in the morning to take to work.

Thanks for the tip!! My order seems to be on the slowest boat from the US lol going to take between 3 - 8 weeks before i get this here. I'm just playing the waiting game, I'm really greatful that I'm getting it at all! :)

I ordered them from http://www.mybariatricpantry.com

It is nice to have them as a fruit type drink. And they are not concentrate like some that are popular.

I love Syntrax Nectar- I have been using the product since July. I've tried pretty much every whey isolate and nectar, in my opinion, is bar far the best. Love the chocolate and vanilla!!

I just received my delivery today from the US - 10 days is not so bad - pretty good imho :D anyway I purchased Syntrax nectar - fuzzy navel and its delicious. Just tastes like watered down orange juice. I will be trying other flavors in the future, but first I have to get through this tub ;) and I also since found a supplier in the US that will deliver to Australia with very reasonable delivery charges as well as discounted products. woot!! :D