Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I usually don't post on forums, but I have enjoyed reading everyones story so much, so I decided to post this to get some answers to some of my worries.

I am currently in Dubai, but thinking about getting my sleeve done in Damascus Syria. It costs around ~$2,500 to get it done there, and over $10,000 to get it done in Dubai, plus the doctors are known to be much better in Damascus. They even sometimes fly out here to the Gulf region and do the surgeries for upwards of 10K.

That being said, I have read everything about the sleeve, 2 of my relatives and another 3 people I know have done it, and everyone is saying that i should go for it.

I am not super obese at the moment, I am around 86 KGS and 5'4, so it brings to be about a BMI of 32 or 33. I have always been over weight and I tried Atkins a few times and succeeded but it bounced back. I tried Dukan, and also same thing. I've given up !!! My highest was around 93 kgs... but I really really want to be skinny. I want to taste it, and I'm worried that if I don't do it now (i'm 30), i'll lose some of the best days of my life being insecure and unhappy. I don't even have any recent pictures because I hate looking at pictures of myself.

Now my family's reaction is mixed. Some say that I should do it, without even thinking twice, and some say that I can lose this on my own. Why don't I just eat like a sleever without having surgery they say... as if it's that easy eh!!!

I am ready to embark on this journey. I am just worried about a few things, although I know that risks are lower when the BMI is lower, and I am in perfect health right now:

• WORKING OUT: I am looking forward to working out after my sleeve, in order to tone and get my body to the image I have in my head. How long after the surgery will I be able to work out? Will i have energy to do cardio classes and weight training?
  • HOW MUCH Water CAN I DRINK? I am in Dubai, it's hot as hell here in the summer... so if im super thirsty... i wont be able to quench my thirst? It kind of scares me!!! How does the thirst / quench thing work?
  • Will I be able to drink alcohol again? I don't care much about food, but sometimes i like to go out for drinks with my friends. Will i get drunk faster? After how long can I drink again? and since i heard no carbonated beverages.. how about beer? Because i love beer.
  • Can someone list out the foods that I cannot ever eat again? I tried to make a list from people's stories, so it includes stuff like spicy food, asparagus, carbonated beverages. I believe these things will be bad for the sleeve.
  • How long after the surgery shall I stay in Syria to ensure that all is well? The doctor is saying 4 days. Is this realistic? Syria is in a civil war now, so it's not super safe to stay unnecessarily for a long time, so for those who had it done in Mexico... when is the best time to leave, ensuring that the sleeve didnt leak or anything?
  • This is a personal question - I am currently uprooting my life, getting a new apartment, new car, starting a new job, is it a good idea (emotionally) to get this surgery now? Or shall i wait until I am more 'settled'. I just want to get it out of the way so I can start seeing changes soon, and incorporate my new body with my new life, and also because just incase I want to get pregnant in the future, I can distance the surgery as far away as possible. I am generally a very strong person so I just want to get some insight if people think this is a very emotionally exhausting experience, or if it could enhance my new life.

These are all my questions so far :) I really could use some encouragement right now!

For anyone interested this is the amazing doctor I will be doing my surgery at :

badanasyria.com

His name is Anaz Al Azmeh and he is very well known and respected in Syria and in the whole Middle East.

WORKING OUT: I am looking forward to working out after my sleeve, in order to tone and get my body to the image I have in my head. How long after the surgery will I be able to work out? Will i have energy to do cardio classes and weight training?

Yes, you will be fine to workout fairly soon after surgery. I was jogging and doing kickboxing classes at 3-4 weeks out, and I am now about 16 months out and I just ran a 15K the other day. The important thing for me has been taking the B12 and Iron suppements, otherwise I really notice a drop in energy.

HOW MUCH Water CAN I DRINK? I am in Dubai, it's hot as hell here in the summer... so if im super thirsty... i wont be able to quench my thirst? It kind of scares me!!! How does the thirst / quench thing work?

I always drink with a straw because it was the only way after surgery I could get enough Fluid. You can't gulp Water anymore, but you should be more than able to keep yourself hydrated. I'm in the southern part of the US and regularly workout outside and have never had an issue.

Will I be able to drink alcohol again? I don't care much about food, but sometimes i like to go out for drinks with my friends. Will i get drunk faster? After how long can I drink again? and since i heard no carbonated beverages.. how about beer? Because i love beer.

You can drink again and you can drink carbonated beverages. They tell you no soda and no beer so you don't drink all your calories in Coke. I drink Diet Pepsi every single day. I'm not a big alcohol drinker so I'm a lightweight as it is. You do probably get drunk faster. It's fine to go out and have a drink or two with friends, but the idea behind the surgery is to not be consuming the fattening stuff (like beer) that got us to the weight we were at to need surgery.

Can someone list out the foods that I cannot ever eat again? I tried to make a list from people's stories, so it includes stuff like spicy food, asparagus, carbonated beverages. I believe these things will be bad for the sleeve.

This list is different for everyone. There is nothing that medically prevents you from eating or drinking anything you want six weeks after surgery. Your sleeve on the other hand may not agree. I can't eat anything with fat or sugar or I barf, but it seems like I am really in the minority of people that have that issue.

How long after the surgery shall I stay in Syria to ensure that all is well? The doctor is saying 4 days. Is this realistic? Syria is in a civil war now, so it's not super safe to stay unnecessarily for a long time, so for those who had it done in Mexico... when is the best time to leave, ensuring that the sleeve didnt leak or anything?

I was in a US hospital for three days and entirely on my own at home after that. I would personally not get a surgery like this done in Syria, but four days is realistic.

This is a personal question - I am currently uprooting my life, getting a new apartment, new car, starting a new job, is it a good idea (emotionally) to get this surgery now? Or shall i wait until I am more 'settled'. I just want to get it out of the way so I can start seeing changes soon, and incorporate my new body with my new life, and also because just incase I want to get pregnant in the future, I can distance the surgery as far away as possible. I am generally a very strong person so I just want to get some insight if people think this is a very emotionally exhausting experience, or if it could enhance my new life.

You are as strong as you let yourself be. Only you can answer that question. I had surgery during a very emotionally difficult time in my life and then I quit my job to work for myself a month later. If you want something, you get it done, if not, you make excuses. For example, I should go running right now, but it's hot, so I'm going to take a nap instead, lol. Excuses. :)

Nobody can answer this but you.

My general feeling is that people need to really have tried EVERYTHING and then you know, deep down, you believe, that you need to make this sleeve thing work.

there are many low BMI people who have done this and I completely respect their decision. for me, I have a hard time with it for younger/low BMI people because there ARE risks. there are major impacts to your life. Someone with a 30 BMI might have a chance of "managing" their obesity via lifestyle changes. Once you are 40+ BMI, older, have the comorbidities.. the deck is stacked much worse against you without surgery.

Full disclosure which reveals my biases - I was in my late 40s, had a BMI over 50 at time of surgery so my disease of obesity was pretty advanced by then...

I should also say that on some level, it saddens me that I had to resort to something quite drastic - removing a major portion of a life sustianing organ - in order for me to regain my health. I really had no other options and I have no regrets about the sugery, but if I could re-write my life story, it would not involve partial stomach removal and WOULD involve a different lifestyle beginning decades ago.

Edited by CowgirlJane

Working Out: I was encouraged to do up to 60 minutes a day of "brisk walking" immediately post-op and cleared to do more intense exercise at 2 months post-op.

Water: Hydration is SUPER important post-op. You top priorities will be getting in your required Protein and Water every day. It is tough at first for some people to get all their Water in, due to the swelling of the sleeve, but you will ultimately be able to drink water just like normal. You will only be taking small sips in the beginning, but likely will be able to take several large swallow at a time. The only catch is that you will not be able to drink before, during, or after eating. Every surgeon has different recommendations for this. Mine told me no drinking for 5 minutes before eating or until 20 minutes after eating. I find that I really am not comfortable drinking until about 40 minutes after eating a full meal. I can drink sooner after my Snacks.

Alcohol: Yes. I have had alcohol several times post-op. It's not a great thing to do frequently, because there are a lot of calories in alcohol, but it is fine to do from time to time. I have found that post-op, I get "buzzed" or "drunk" from much less alcohol than I did before, so be cautious if you do decide to drink post-op. Make sure you do it in a safe environment and don't have to drive anywhere.

Restricted Foods: I was eventually cleared to eat all foods, however, I have steered clear of rice, bread, Pasta, and starches for the most part. I am very strict about getting my "protein first", and have not had any room in my sleeve for anything other than primary Protein sources. If I were to eat some of these other foods, it would be at the cost of not getting all my protein in and I don't feel they are worth it. Also, no carbonation, as you mentioned.

Recovery: I live in the eastern United States and had my surgery in Tijuana, Mexico. My surgery was on a Monday and I returned home on that Friday. I could have returned home on Thursday, but I couldn't make the flight schedule work with the border crossing, so I had to stay an extra night in San Diego. The point is, you shouldn't have an issue flying home 4 days post-op, barring any complications of course.

I can't answer that last question for you, but I will say for myself that I wish I'd had the surgery sooner. If you continue to put it off for the "right time", that time may never come.

Hello everyone! Thank u so much for your replies. I kept re-reading them when in doubt!

So my surgery is booked for Tuesday March 24th. I am scared/ excited... don't know what to feel???

I am doing it in Syria because I am originally from there, and this doctor has performed hundreds of surgeries. I am not worried about the doctor or the quality of care, I am just worried about complications.

From what I have been reading, is that some people get complications.. and some people don't... I was trying to find out who would be more at risk at getting a complication... for example, why do you get that reflux thing in your esophagus, it sounds so terribly painful! Also, why would you get 'dumping'? I know dumping is for people with bypass, but some users on here said they experienced it !

I like to know my risks before going in, and mentally preparing, but it seems like these complications are 'random'. Am I wrong?

I like to know my risks before going in, and mentally preparing, but it seems like these complications are 'random'. Am I wrong?

You're not wrong. It does seem pretty random. There's just no predicting how an individual body will react. Hopefully any complications you experience will be minor and temporary.