Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping and sleeve

2 years post. I don't have dumping. Kind of wish I did to stay in check.

Never had it once, at over 2 years post op

sounds weird, but unfortunately nothing bothers my guts.... except for people. :) I wish I would physically be intolerant to certain foods, it would make it harder to cave in to cravings and junk...

That's so funny! People bother your guts! Lolol????????????

I have never had dumping, according to my surgeon that can only happen in bypasses. However, I have had 'one too many bites' misery before. That feels pretty lousy and apparently pretty similar..

Thank you all for your responses....dumping is one of my fears!

I don't have dumping with sugar, although will feel nauseous and generally yucky if I eat too much. I have vomited twice after eating tough meat. And will get stomach cramps. So I try to avoid tough meat, and stick to ground chicken or pork, fish and crock pot roasts and pulled pork type things.

I can eat anything at 4 months post-op. Am very grateful for the restriction!

At 15 months out, Other than carbonation, I can eat anything. However, if I eat too many sweets or too many artificial sweeteners or too much coffee or too much alcohol I do get a bit of gastritis. Rolaids or a few days of a PPI will help, but the best is just not to eat "too much". The week of Christmas was the worst...Even though it was all SO GOOD I was looking forward to finally getting back to Protein and veggies. I've never dumped and other than 1 time (very recently) that I ate way too fast, I've never vomited.

And just know things change as your sleeve heals and you find what does and doesn't work for you. What I could eat at 3 months is way different than 6 months and a year.

Im 8 months PO an no dumping here. I use a little raw sugar here an there and I still eat under 1/2 cup per meal but I am picky with what I consume. an if it is new item I only take a bite maybe 2 small to see how tummy reacts. :)

Dumping is much less common with the sleeve because the intestines are not altered by the surgery. However, there are some who experience it.

I haven't had any issues with dumping but I have experienced the sliming when I've eaten a bite too much or maybe not chewed well enough....It's disgusting. I try to go really slow and chew chew chew...but there are times I just forget what I'm doing and then get that horrible reminder.

I am 3 years out.

I have had one "classic" dumping episode and it was Christmas day 2011. My surgery was December 11th 2011 and since I was a band revision, surgeon had me on a much slower food progression than typical. I was still on liquids so whilst my family enjoyed a Christmas feast, I had a warm chocolate Protein drink... but this was back when my thinking was still a bit "off". It was Christmas - I needed a treat, right? So I blended some Peanut Butter in. Perhaps too much Peanut Butter. I felt horrible - cramps, digestional upset, overall misery etc. It was bad enough that I didn't even taste peanut butter for a very long time after that.

Since then, I will say that I have had a few meals that made me feel bad, although I don't think they were classic dumping. My take away is that you need to be "in training" to eat junky crappy food. If you eat pretty clean and then decide you will share a deep fried fish and chip dinner with a friend (hey, i was at goal, what's a little treat?) you may decide it ISN'T WORTH IT! I had a horrible tummy ache, I felt like I had been dipped in grease and had to digest it all. It wasn't the same as my Christmas day event, but it wasn't good either.

So, where that leaves me is I can have a bit of something deep fried every once in a while.. but just a bit... and I feel okay. I made homemade potato chips for my boys and their friends, munched on a few with no ill effects... but just a few with a very healthy meal.

I don't really want to eat that crap anyways so it is fine. I can't even fathom eating say a McDonalds meal, I suspect I would hurl it just based on the grease alone. Well, who knows, but I decided I don't want to find out.

:)

Sleeve here.

I dump when I each anything really rich. Ice cream, more than 2-3 small bites and I'll be vomiting shortly. Rich cream Soups will send be to the bathroom with explosive poo. Frozen yogurt gets me, frosting from a cake, cheesy rich mashed potatoes...

I can have a baby spoon or two, but that's it. Works for me. I can take a taste but I don't want more than that. It's not pretty if I do.

Ice cream and sugary foods make me feel like complete crap. Sometimes as a reminder from the universe, they make me nauseous and then shoot right through. Nice to have these little reminders every now and then....

I'm a dumper...a big dumper, lol. For the first 6-8 months of the sleeve if I ate anything with sugar or fats I would get hot, sweaty, breathe fast, my heart would race, and I'd need to lay down for about 20 minutes before it passed. At around the one year mark I transitioned to a point where the sugar and fat now makes me puke, pretty much instantly. I am now at 18 months and if I eat any food from a restaurant or even processed sweets (ice cream, cake, etc) I get to spend the next five minutes barfing. I get hot, my heart rate goes up, and I literally feel it all coming right back up my throat. It's gross, but it keeps me really accountable about what I eat and I suppose I will call it a blessing in disguise.