Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long from first consult to surg date?

Hi!!!

I was wondering....there seems to be a Lot of spots between the initial consult and surgery. How long was the time period between initial consult and surg date?

I know my insurance requires a 3 month physician monitored wl program.. So I know it will be at Least that long... But do I have to fulfill that first and THEN the sleep test, nutritionist, psych eval, etc? Or ... Thank you !!

Unless instructed otherwise you can do them all in the first week, spread out or the last week. Once I had my orientation at the surgeons they had all my referrals for me. Not everyone needs everything.

My initial consult was in June last year and my sugery was last month.

My first consult was 1/23. Surgery date is scheduled for 5/21. I could have scheduled it for April but decided not to due to some travel for work.

Had my first consult on Jan 16th and surgery is Monday March 16th- exactly 3 months !!! ????

Edited by Shan5311

My first consult was September 2014 and my surgery is scheduled for this April. Mine was a long process due to the fact that my insurance required 6 months of monitored weight loss program with my PCP. Once that was completed I had approval within 24 hours and surgery scheduled.

My first consult was in December 2013 and I finally had surgery sept. 20th. Exactly nine months almost to the day.

I am required to have 3 months nutritional counseling and dr office told me best case would be 5 months from initial consult date IF they got right on everything. That was Jan 20 and then I did the seminar/info session on Jan 30 where I saw NUT for first visit. I will finish those visits April 30 but then they have to apply for approval from my insurance (who states they will respond within 5 days) and then wait for dr to schedule. I suppose if all things fell in to place just right, we could have surgery by the end May which would only be 4 months from initial consult but that doesn't seem likely to me for some reason. Suppose it also depends on how busy surgeon's schedule is.

Thank you all so much for responding!!

My first consult was 7/24/14 and my surgery date is April 8th. Originally was in Jan but my Protein was too low for them to operate. I'm good to go now.

I signed up in August of 2014 to have surgery. My first informational meeting was 9/14 after an initial consult with a bariatric nurse, I had to have 6 months worth of visits with a dietician. My last dietary appointment is on March 31st. YAY! I had an hour long consult with surgeon, 2 appointments (long appointments with a psychologist). I've had an endoscopy (yesterday), got the all clear to go ahead for surgery from the surgeon. After my last dietary appt., I have 2 more appointments to fulfil. A pre-op with a nurse who will tell me all I have to do before surgery, and another appt. with a nurse prac. who will go over all the things I do when I get home from hospital. I guess THEN I will get scheduled. Finally. It's been a long long journey.

Edited by carolm1965

Hi it was 9 months total for me 6 months requirement from my insurance then I had to wait for a opening with my surgeon it was all so very worth it . Good luck .

I had my consult on December 1st and had to have chest X-ray, blood work twice, 2 nutrition support meetings, meet a dietician and have a psyc eval. Now my pre-op appt is the 26th and surgery is scheduled for the 13th of April. Once you get the ball rolling it goes fast!

If you know your insurance requires 3 months, you can start that now with your regular doctor. Just make sure they cover weight, height, diet plan, exercise plan, note that it is for weight loss and that it is in your patient records.