Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days to go and feel like chickening out!

It has taken me 6 months to get to the point of surgery on Friday. As the day gets closer, not only am I getting nervous but am having second thoughts...do I really need this? (Bmi is currently 34.9) Am I going to regret this decision? I love to cook and bake...I spend a lot of time with my youngest teen slicing and dicing ( she wants to be a chef)...so sfraid of missing out on this ( silly, I know I will be eating). My mind keeps saying " maybe if I just go back on Atkins! I will lose weight" I read stories of the weight returning and never ending battle.

Did anyone else feel this way? Have you actually gotten this close and said forget it, I'm not doing it?

Hmm tough call with a BMI that low. There is a thread in here somewhere about this issue and a lot of good pros and cons debated.

As for me, with a lot further to go, the sleeve has been great, no complications. And I COULD (but I don't) eat anything; in other words, I have had almost no food issues. I know that's not true of everyone but the worst I get is a wookie bellow and on rare occasions a very small amount of nausea - which could also be chalked up to the crazy antibiotics I am taking for an unrelated illness (lyme).

The other thing for me is that I've lost this weight many times but always gained it back. My expectation is that this will be a for-life change.

@@Wannabeskinnie I went through the same emotions up until they knocked me out. I love to cook also and teach my 13 yr old almost daily. I worried about all that too but 4 months later I'm 60 lbs lighter and still cooking with her...it's just easier to move around each other :) best decision of my life!

I went through the same thing and I'm now 14 days post op and am so glad I made the decision to follow through. Good luck you will be so glad you did it.

My BMI the day of surgery was 31. Getting surgery wasn't about losing weight. I had lost 60 pounds prior to my surgery date. Making the decision for me was about keeping the weight off. 99% who lose without surgery gain it back and then some. 50% of those who have WLS keep it off for life. I went with the choice that gives me the best odds of life long health.

@Wannabeskinnie I was in the exact same frame of mind yesterday. I too am scheduled for Friday and have almost the exact same BMI as you. I woke up yesterday and was going to cancel...thankfully after having being 'talked off the ledge' by my friend who also wants to have it done and my dad, I am now 100% in. I am self-pay which makes it even more nerve-racking! I go for pre-op at the hospital today. We will both be fine and so glad we did this once it's all said and done! Good luck to you!

YES I totally felt like that even up to the last minute and every meal I ate the last few weeks was like "this is the last time I will be eating this"....well, 10 months out all I can say is NOT! I still cook and bake for and with my teen all the time and I eat everything and anything, in moderation that is and watch myself during the week but weekends all bets are off so I splurge on pizza and chocolate and anything, in moderation I repeat.

You'll be healthier and happier and you WILL cook, bake and eat with your teen as I do. The first months are a little rough but when you see that scale go down, your energy levels go up and you feel healthy and look gorgeous, it'll be the best thing you'll do for yourself. Go for it, don't be scared and life will be normal again before you know it. Good Luck!!

I absolutely felt the same way. But I know that doing it my way for the last 45 years didn't work so I had to defer to the experts. When I woke from surgery I was elated-mostly because I didn't have to worry anymore whether to go through with it or not. Not one regret since.

This is normal. Everyone has jitters and feelings like "maybe I don't need this...". At some point you started this for a reason. Make yourself remember why.

My surgery is scheduled for March 26th and I'm already nervous, however, as a lap band fail, I just want to get my body back!! Your fear may be of the pain after surgery?? But that's only a brief period of time considering the life-time of better health.

I was scared right before also. wondered if this was the right thing for me. now 6 weeks out I'm glad I didn't change my mind. As long as you have someone to help and support you and follow your doctors instructions you'll be great. Good Luck

Thanks for all the positive responses...I guess I really needed to hear them...as giggleblye said, I did start this for a reason..I guess my knees will thank me, my heart will be very happy, and my family will be proud of me...two more days, liquid diet tomorrow, then on my way!

I like to cook and bake too! Wls really let me explore healthy options for low sugar and low carb treats and snacks!

This forum especially this thread has been a godsend to ease my jitters. My lucky day is March 17th ???? I think it's symbolic considering this will be the day of my new lifestyle change! I too am nervous & fear of the "unknown" has kicked in! I have felt all the same emotions as each of you have stated. The pre op liquid was challenging! I'm human & I did cave a few times which only gave me a reality check! I'm looking forward to this new journey. Best of luck to you all!