Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post op protein problems....

Hi all!! I had my surgery 1 week ago today. Recovery has neither been as bad nor as good as I imagined it could be. Fluids are easy for me, Protein is not. Protein is sitting like a rock on my stomach. I have yet to be able to get near the 60 oz my surgeon wants me to get daily. It is just uncomfortable. And I am feeling it. I am weak and have no stamina. Does anyone have any ideas? I had hoped to return to work tomorrow after my post op appt

Your surgeon wants you to have 60 ounces of Protein Shakes a day? Or 60 ounces of Fluid? 60 ounces of Protein shakes sounds crazy. I've heard of 60 ounces of fluid, I've heard of 60 grams of protein, but 60 ounces of protein shakes seems really excessive IMO. That would be something like 165 grams of protein which is way more than I have ever heard required. If you aren't absolutely positive about 60 ounces of protein shakes, I would clarify with your surgeon's office.

Sorry I always get that mixed up its 60 grams of Protein and 64 oz of fluids. I'm having a hard time getting anywhere near the 60 grams it just sits so hard on my stomach

My 1st month post-op, I wasn't able to get in 60 grams of Protein per day. During the 1st 2 weeks, I barely ate 1/2 sugar free Popsicle per day. Starting the 3rd week, I was able to eat about 1/2 can of Soup per day.

I took my doctors recommended intake of Water and Protein as a goal to shoot for, not something I had to do starting from the 1st day post-op. I didn't think it was realistic given how much I was hurting and the way Frankensleeve reacted with every sip or bite of food.

I was only concerned about hydration. I just sipped, sipped, sipped. As long as I felt okay, I wasn't worried.

My 1st month post-op, I wasn't able to get in 60 grams of Protein per day. During the 1st 2 weeks, I barely ate 1/2 sugar free Popsicle per day. Starting the 3rd week, I was able to eat about 1/2 can of Soup per day.

I took my doctors recommended intake of Water and Protein as a goal to shoot for, not something I had to do starting from the 1st day post-op. I didn't think it was realistic given how much I was hurting and the way Frankensleeve reacted with every sip or bite of food.

I was only concerned about hydration. I just sipped, sipped, sipped. As long as I felt okay, I wasn't worried.

Wow girl! I guess imam blessed then! I am so sorry you had those problems! I am able to handle broths, s/f Popsicles, s/f Jello and even s/f hard candy to suck on for a treat. Just the friggin Protein and I guess I'm just more worried than maybe I need to be because I really hoped to go back to work tomorrow after my appt. if I can't get some stamina built up I don't see that happening. How far are you out now? Has it gotten better?

Protein is definitely a challenge that early out. I'm actually impressed you're already getting your Water in. It will get easier and easier. And your energy will definitely improve once you are getting more protein (and calories) in.

You might try the Isopure Protein drinks. They're not shakes, they're more like Gatorade. Many people loathed the taste, so just buy one to see. But each drink is 20 ounces and has 40 g of Protein. I drank half in the morning and half in the afternoon to space out the protein.

http://www.theisopurecompany.com/en/drinks

Vitamin Shoppe and GNC both sell them. I liked all the flavors more or less. I wouldn't drink them now, but for pre-op/post-op liquids they were great.

Edited by AlwaysVegas

I tended to do better with warm Protein than cold -- so I used Unjury chicken Soup protein, or took my own broth and added a little unflavored protein. I also used the hot chocolate Protein Shakes you can get from Nashua Nutrition and mixed them with Water rather than anything like milk. Good luck to you!

Have you tried fresh Protein Drinks from smoothie King? My girlfriend just brought me one over and it's 45 grams of Protein in 20 fl ozs and it was delicious!! You don't taste the protein at all!

It can take a while to work your way up to the recommended amounts of Protein and fluids. Try a "thinner" drink, (Isopure bottled or nectar which mixes with water). They can be easier to get down or just sip on all day if you have to. It gets easier once the swelling is down. Keep working at it.

Have you tried fresh Protein drinks from smoothie King? My girlfriend just brought me one over and it's 45 grams of Protein in 20 fl ozs and it was delicious!! You don't taste the protein at all!

You don't taste the protein because it's full of SUGAR! Be wary of Smoothie King and use as a treat (potentially later on). You may find yourself more sensitive to sugar especially for the first few months. Some sleeves don't "dump" but mine does if I over do it on sugar. It's improved with time, but just a word from the wise!

Did your doctor actually tell you that you had to get 60 g of Protein only a week after surgery or did they say that is what you would eventually aim for? Do they know you're trying to go back to work so soon? My doctor wouldn't agree to the surgery if he even remotely thought I was lying about taking at least two weeks off.

I swear by the Isopure and I did drink that post op when I started feeling weak but I was on a clear liquid diet for a week post op so I had no choice. Also, broth is a good way to get Protein. Just watch your sodium level with that.

Have you tried fresh Protein drinks from Smoothie King? My girlfriend just brought me one over and it's 45 grams of Protein in 20 fl ozs and it was delicious!! You don't taste the protein at all!

You don't taste the protein because it's full of SUGAR! Be wary of Smoothie King and use as a treat (potentially later on). You may find yourself more sensitive to sugar especially for the first few months. Some sleeves don't "dump" but mine does if I over do it on sugar. It's improved with time, but just a word from the wise!

I did check the nutrition information for Smoothie King because my surgeon was very specific as to what I can have. My protein sources must have more then 4x more protein than they do total carbs. I did see one smoothie from Smoothie King which fit in to this category as long as no changes are made to it and that is the gladiator. IDK if my sleeve will "dump" or not, but I don't intend on giving it reason to find out! :)

Did your doctor actually tell you that you had to get 60 g of Protein only a week after surgery or did they say that is what you would eventually aim for? Do they know you're trying to go back to work so soon? My doctor wouldn't agree to the surgery if he even remotely thought I was lying about taking at least two weeks off.

I swear by the Isopure and I did drink that post op when I started feeling weak but I was on a clear liquid diet for a week post op so I had no choice. Also, broth is a good way to get Protein. Just watch your sodium level with that.

They said I am to "work my way up to it" but when they called to check up on me Friday they were REALLY pushing the 60g thing. I will have hubby pick up some Isopure on the way home from work tonight. He is going to GNC anyhow to pick up some Protein powder for me. I have shied away from Isopure because I have heard so many people DON'T like it. But these Protein shakes are just too much. I also was on clear liquid a week prior.

My surgeon's office says for this procedure your amount of time off obviously depends on the type of job you do, but given I have basically a desk job they said I should be ok at a week to two. Of course me being me, I set my goal at the shorter end of that. I guess we will just have to see what he says tomorrow.