Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Running shoes suggestions?

Starting 5k training and could use help in the shoe department. Any recommendations?

Go to a store that specializes in running...NOT a chain department store, but a place where avid runners get their gear.

They will do a full analysis of your feet, and how you step.

Then make recommendations for the type of shoe you should be using.

I was always under the assumption that if it is expensive, it must be the best...WRONG!

I paid much $$, in the hundreds, for the best and latest shoes on the market.

After running for a few weeks, I started to get sharp left hip pain...it kept getting worse each day until I could not run for longer than 20 minutes.

I also experience many episodes of black toe, and lost many toe nails.

I later learned I could have done permanent damage to my hips, and perhaps knees.

Finally went to a runners store near me, where they spent a good hour going over everything....the shoes I wound up buying were 1/2 the price I would have paid...and my feet never felt better when I run.

So the proper shoes are not always the most $$

Also, socks are just as important as the shoes you wear...the socks I have cost $18, and there are lefts and rights...took care of my black toe, because my feet don't slide around inside my socks.

I see you are in NJ...I live in Monmouth County...if you're near me I can tell you the name of the store I go to.

Edited by B-52

Starting 5k training and could use help in the shoe department. Any recommendations?

The runners I know are like ASICS, but I agree you need to go to a true athletic store and get fitted.

I see you are in NJ...I live in Monmouth County...if you're near me I can tell you the name of the store I go to.

I lived and worked in Monmouth county for a hot minute.

The runners I know are like ASICS, but I agree you need to go to a true athletic store and get fitted.

I lived and worked in Monmouth county for a hot minute.

That'd be great! Because I have zero clue where a specialty store around me would be.

I'm a big fan of Brooks. Not cheap but a great shoe.

IIRC there's a Footlocker in Monmouth Mall. You could try googling to see if there's a Runner's Store or Dick's Sporting Goods nearby.

Go to a store that specializes in running...NOT a chain department store, but a place where avid runners get their gear.

They will do a full analysis of your feet, and how you step.

THIS!!!! DO NOT SKIMP ON YOUR RUNNING SHOES. Yes, the are super expensive when you go to a real running store, but it will be SO worth it when you don't have chronic back, hip, knee, and foot problems. Also, buy inserts and take out the factory installed inserts. The ones from the factory do absolutely nothing, you need reinforced arch support. My physical therapist recommended SuperFeet brand, but ask the person at the running store about your options.

I buy my trail running shoes from the New Balance store. Yes, they are expensive, but they last and my knees and back thank me for buying a good quality shoe. And I replace them yearly.

Edited by ProjectMe

When I was running and doing 5K's my go-to shoe was Asics. I loved them then and I still love them now! Good luck!

Asics are great - and definitely go to the brand store itself, or a running shoe store to get fitted, as others have suggested. Spend the money - your feet are worth it!

Agree with B-52. I love my old school New Balance.

There are many great brands, but they are not all created equal when it comes to your specific feet and your stride. That's why I recommend a running store that sells many different brands. That way you can try several different brands and consult with someone who works there about which brand is best for you.

Go to a really good athletic shoe store and have them fit you. It will cost a bit more money, but then when you buy replacement shoes you will know the brand/style/size etc that is perfect for your feet and you can look for them online, or at a discount store or something. It is worth it to prevent injuries and pain.

I did the 3 day breast cancer walk when I was still morbidly obese in 2007. I walked 20 miles a day for 3 days and trained for it for months. I wound up taking way bigger shoes than my normal size in order to protect my toes on the downhills (remember lots of HOURS walking) and also to have the arch hit me in the right spot. I wound up buying multiple pairs of the same shoe. I did all that when I weighed over 250# and I am sure my good properly fitting shoe (for the purpose) is what saved toenails and kept me from getting a foot or leg problem.

I went to Road Runner and let them analyze my feet and my stride before buying shoes. I bought some New Balances, they didn't work out. I got custome insoles and put them in a pair of Asics I already had, a DREAM.

Definitely go get fitted! I wanted a pair of Brooks in the WORST way, but when I got to the store, they recommended Saucony for my foot type. I ended up being able to buy last years model for about $50. I've been running in them for a few weeks and they feel amazing!