Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking Sodas with sleeve?

@@titan, I think you got a lot of good advice. If you’re “struggling” to drink Dr. Pepper with the band, maybe you shouldn’t be doing it. I would worry that at best, you’ll be uncomfortable, and at worst, you can have long-lasting effects that’ll make your band less useful.

What do you like about Dr. Pepper? The feeling of sipping a cold drink? Can you find a non-carbonated diet alternative? Or maybe you like the taste? Could you make your Dr. Pepper “flat” by opening it and leaving it in the fridge for a few days before drinking it?

I know how it feels to really crave a specific “forbidden food” with the band. Good luck figuring it out!

@@titan, I think you got a lot of good advice. If you’re “struggling” to drink Dr. Pepper with the band, maybe you shouldn’t be doing it. I would worry that at best, you’ll be uncomfortable, and at worst, you can have long-lasting effects that’ll make your band less useful.

What do you like about Dr. Pepper? The feeling of sipping a cold drink? Can you find a non-carbonated diet alternative? Or maybe you like the taste? Could you make your Dr. Pepper “flat” by opening it and leaving it in the fridge for a few days before drinking it?

I know how it feels to really crave a specific “forbidden food” with the band. Good luck figuring it out![/

quote]

If you pour it in a cup and stir it vigorously it will go flat quickly.

i went cold turkey literally 24 hours before my surgery. i used to be a HUGE soda lover.

haven't had a soda since, or any interest in drinking one...except one time when i had a stomach virus. i wanted ginger ale so badly for the pain...but couldn't have it full strength. so what i did was leave it to flatten and then i added 1/2 Water to it.

it helped me through that bad episode.

but that has been my only soda digestion (and it was more like juice by the time i drank it LOL) since surgery.

My stomach hurts just thinking about carbonation.

I haven't really been craving sodas even though I would drink any type of soda (diet or otherwise) in my "past life" haha. The thing is that I get bored with Water sometimes, and since I am not a coffee drinker, other than hot herbal tea with truvia, I haven't found anything I like that much.

So, after thinking about it for the past few weeks, I actually bought some of the diet sodastream syrups to mix with plain Water (not carbonated). Just to see how they would taste. I have tried the "Diet Dr. Pete" flavor. (They also have diet root beer, cola zero, diet cola and diet orange I think! Maybe more?) It's pretty good and has no carbonation or calories. I figure it's no worse for me than those Crystal Light powder mixes or Mio liquid drink flavors. The problem is I usually find those way too citrus-y/tart for my tastes. I'm not opposed to citrus things but with the flavored powders it's kind of overpowering and actually sometimes bothers my throat in a way that's super hard to describe. Almost any flavor does this even if you only use a small amount of the powder.< /p>

Anyway, the Diet Dr. Pete turned out pretty good. I have only had one glass, maybe 14-16 oz. worth. Definitely something I would recommend for a treat every now and then if you're wanting the flavor of diet soda (or just for more variety in drinks) but no carbonation. It's not cheap, about 5.99 for a small bottle, but the label says it makes about 50 8oz glasses worth. So overall it's not a bad price.

Edited by heynowkc

There is a great deal of unnecessary hand-wringing over soda.

Clearly, it is not good shortly after surgery. The carbonation can cause havoc with your smaller healing stomach. Also, caffeine has a slight diuretic effect which works against you in getting in your liquids and staying hydrated.

Also, non-diet sodas are empty sugary carbs. Not exactly in line with our new healthy eating plans.

However, long term, I see no harm in diet sodas. The carbonation simply isn't that strong. It is not going to stretch your stomach. You may burp, that's it.

I've heard theories that the artificial sweeteners can be counterproductive, but I am unaware of any actual proof on the matter.

My experience has been that diet soda is fine. I drink it all the time and have been consistently losing.

I drank Diet Coke like Water my entire life. Took 6 months pre-op to give it up before I was headache free. Tried a sip once or twice and bubbles make me uncomfortable now so it's easy to not want it anymore! If I want something besides water now, which is not often, I go for tea sweetened with stevia or G2 or something like it. Even Crystal Light turns my stomach now. Kinda funny. I don't any "food" that doesn't agree post-op, but the liquids above, not so much.

Also, caffeine has a slight diuretic effect which works against you in getting in your liquids and staying hydrated.

The mayo clinic disagrees: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/caffeinated-drinks/faq-20057965

Soda pop gives me terrible hiccups that last for days. I haven't had soda pop in probably 30 years or more, and I say good riddance! HA!

I worked in a coffee shop back when Atkins was the "in" thing. Take diet root beer, or diet orange, add ice and a little half and half or heavy cream. Problem solved. No carbonation and it tastes like a float or a dreamscicle.