Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 week Gutbuster bootcamp - terrified!

I am terribly, woefully out of shape. I have never been an active person. Growing up I always preferred curling in bed with a book than I did any outdoor activity, let alone exercise. I am an august baby so I adore swimming but I find it hard to use swimming as an exercise. And I've read conflicting articles on its effectiveness for actively losing weight. Anyway, I decided to look into some of the area gyms around me. I've used a treadmill and an elliptical in the past, but that is it. My only form of day-to-day movement is walking to pick my son up from school, but it has been so cold these last couple of weeks that I have barely done even that. And the scale reflects this.

One of the gyms is called Private Workout. There are 3 in the DFW area, so this isn't a national chain, but I am sure there are places like this elsewhere. The idea is you schedule your workout time so there is no waiting when you get there and you are in a small enclosed space so no one is watching you. You meet with a trainer for your very first visit and they walk you through all the machines, etc. Sounds awesome, right? So I was looking at their online specials for this month and they have a 6 week "gutbuster bootcamp." It was very affordable from so many things I looked at, and I figured that I can do anything for 6 weeks, so I bought it. I also figure that the monetary aspect will help me keep going so I don't waste my money, etc.

Well, I go for my first appointment tomorrow - a 90 minute session with the trainer. I am TERRIFIED. These past few days even thinking about going makes me so nervous! The boot camp is a group setting so I don't know if that is what I am scared of or not. I really don't want to be the literal elephant in the room with no experience, too big and ungainly to do anything right..

Has anyone else done something like this? Have i bitten off more than I can chew??

Edited by Keeper

Some times taking that first step out of our comfort zone is the BEST thing we can do for ourselves! Kuddos to you for going for it! Don't be nervous you've already committed just go in and give it all you've got. At first it may be a learning curve just like learning your band, we don't have to be perfect we just have to try. Anything you do is better than nothing and in time you will know what you're doing and the effectiveness of each movement will increase. Again, I think this is great!

Don't overthink it. Just try it. I tried yoga as an obese person and survived. My knees cracked loudly but nobody cared but me. I also tried Zumba. Knees didn't like it but again, nobody cared but me.

I went today! Immediate reaction: whoa!! Next reaction: Definitely going again!

First of all, even this 6 week program is completely private!! Not a group setting like I thought. It is circuit-style and the personal trainer walked me through all of the circuits, showed me how to use and adjust all the machines, and sat down to discuss goals and all that jazz.

My legs felt like jelly when I was done and I have naturally strong legs! It was scary going, but I am so, so glad I did.

But I never want to do another crunch again. Ever. :-)

Good for you! Woo hoo!

Great job!