Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You are getting alot of detailed feedback, but I think it is wise to step back and ask yourself the really big questions about your readiness for this. I too wish I could have achieved lasting weight loss when I was your age, but I have to be honest... I am not sure I was emotionally ready. Who knows?

I think meeting some people in your age range, understanding their situation, discussing with a counselor or other support resources is a really good thing. Most bariatric centers have support groups and preops are welcome to them.

I can't emphasize enough that you need to be "all in" to make this work. I am not talking about whether you can have a piece of bread or occasional alcholic drink (once you are goal etc) I am talking about the day after day, month after month, year after year lifestyle committment this takes.

I think we all need to view WLS as the big huge hairy deal that it is and not imagine that it is just one more diet. I am NOT saying you believe that, I am just trying to get across a point strongly.

I have been maintaining a big weight loss for 2 years and due to my history of ALWAYS regaining, I am still self observing with "guarded optimism" that this is finally it - I can stay trim for a lifetime. That is my dream and I WISH WISH I could have done it in my early 20s and not late 40s but that is MY reality. I just turned 50 and finally I am in single digit sizes and actually maintain the same size month after month - now that is a novel concept for me! I'll take it - beats the crap out of being morbidly obese and middle age..haha

Do you guys think 20 is too young for WLS? Im tired of wasting my life being unhealthy, but ppl seem to think im too young to have tried other methods.

That depends on your overall history. How long have you been overweight, by how much, and what have you tried so far? If you've only been this heavy a few years, I would strongly encourage you to try other things first, or if your BMI is less than 40. OTOH, if you've been on multiple diets, have been significantly overweight since childhood, then this might be an excellent opportunity for you.

No healthy eating plan, with or without WLS, is going to say going out drinking frequently is a good thing. Most healthy plans allow things like that once you reach goal, occasionally, but that's not what my college days were like LOL!

You do say you're tired of wasting your life being unhealthy, but I believe you have no co-morbidities yet, right? So who says you are unhealthy? You may be very different from me, but when I was that age, it was all about looking good, not health. And while I'm not judging you at all for that, it's understandable, but it can definitely affect your commitment to something this huge. I really don't think I was emotionally mature enough then to really take on something lifelong.

Maybe you could commit to trying 3-6 months of low carb, high Protein meals, without the very low calorie counts and portion sizes required by WLS, to see how committed you could be with this. If you do something like Atkins, you can also eat high fat and it keeps you full, while still losing weight due to the extremely low carbs. I was successful at that several years ago, but could not sustain it longer than 8 months in the end. So even I am worried about how I will do post-op, just counting on the hope of not wanting sweets and possible dumping.

Onyx999, on 07 Mar 2015 - 04:27, said:

Do you guys think 20 is too young for WLS? Im tired of wasting my life being unhealthy, but ppl seem to think im too young to have tried other methods.

I agree. There are too many factors at play to give a blanket yes or no answer. However I would say a healthy 20 year old who weighs in the 200lbs range might want to try other lifestyle changes before going the surgical route. Try a basic clean eating routine of eating good healthy foods. No fad diets, limit fast foods and take out to once a week. Eat a nutritious Breakfast every day. Just eat balanced meals at least 85% of the time, drink more Water than soda or juice and exercise at least 3 times a week.

Edited by BLERDgirl

That depends on your overall history. How long have you been overweight, by how much, and what have you tried so far? If you've only been this heavy a few years, I would strongly encourage you to try other things first, or if your BMI is less than 40. OTOH, if you've been on multiple diets, have been significantly overweight since childhood, then this might be an excellent opportunity for you.

No healthy eating plan, with or without WLS, is going to say going out drinking frequently is a good thing. Most healthy plans allow things like that once you reach goal, occasionally, but that's not what my college days were like LOL!

You do say you're tired of wasting your life being unhealthy, but I believe you have no co-morbidities yet, right? So who says you are unhealthy? You may be very different from me, but when I was that age, it was all about looking good, not health. And while I'm not judging you at all for that, it's understandable, but it can definitely affect your commitment to something this huge. I really don't think I was emotionally mature enough then to really take on something lifelong.

Maybe you could commit to trying 3-6 months of low carb, high Protein meals, without the very low calorie counts and portion sizes required by WLS, to see how committed you could be with this. If you do something like Atkins, you can also eat high fat and it keeps you full, while still losing weight due to the extremely low carbs. I was successful at that several years ago, but could not sustain it longer than 8 months in the end. So even I am worried about how I will do post-op, just counting on the hope of not wanting sweets and possible dumping.

I've been overweight my entire life, and was getting close to 200's about three years ago (making me still 60-70 lbs overweight for my height/bone structure) with a BMI of 32-34 at that time. Im now 267 lbs putting my BMI at 40-41. I don't take offense easily so no worries there :) and I appreciate your advice. :) I tried montignac for a year about 5 years ago, atkins for about 6-8 months about 4 years ago, nutrisystem for 2-3 months 2 years ago (only a short time because 1 i couldn't afford 300 dollars a month for it, and 2 I gained 15 lbs the first month and another 10 lbs the second month despite following the plan to a T) Plus other methods that I had heard about from one source or another. But i've never been able to keep the weight off, and I thankfully don't lack conviction.

But I want to be healthy. I don't care what others think of me, I care what I think of myself. I don't want to be skinny, I want to be able to walk around with my friends and not feel dizzy and winded like im going to pass out. I want to dance without feeling disgusting like I don't have a right to do so and without any of the above mentioned things.

I have contemplated surgery for the last 2 years and finally decided to go for it when it occurred to me that I couldn't breathe when i bent down to tie my shoes, and when I realized that I weigh less than 100lbs less than my 47 y/o mom who is morbidly obese with sleep apnea and a slew of other things. It was a slap in the face that said if i didnt do something soon then i would be looking at my not so distant future. Like she was my reflection only id get it 20 years earlier, because her and I have very similar stats. Needless to say I cracked amd cried like a baby. She is 5'7" and weighs 360, i'm 5'6" and weigh 267. That is entirely too close for comfort, and I want to be better.

P.S TO ALL: I'm not really in to alcohol, and didn't realize that a lot of people turn to alcohol to replace food after surgery. So if that could be cleared up that would be cool haha thank you :)

Why does my pic show up on their?

It does sound like you've tried other things and have been overweight a long time, so this may indeed be the right time for surgery. The only other thing I can recommend is to start seeing a therapist who specializes in eating disorders, to find out why you overeat. IMO if you don't do this, your chances of longterm recovery are lower. I always thought that I just liked the taste of food, esp sweets, more than other people, even as a child. I was always wanting more, even before I became overweight. It wasn't until my marriage started falling apart that I went looking for answers on the eating, b/c by then I knew there were emotional reasons that I ate. And I found, surprisingly to me, that those reasons went back to childhood. I've had to work hard on letting go of some of those emotions I buried deep inside, and find ways to express anger and disappointment without using food. Two years ago, surgery would not have been successful for me, I know, b/c I would have found another crutch, possibly alcohol. I've heard others become shopping addicts, using the excuse of needing new clothes at first, but later it's a new addiction.

Geneen Roth has some books on Emotional Overeating that I found very helpful, too.

Best of luck!

My first consult appointment is 9 days away and I am super nervous and anxious about it! I already know that the surgery is covered by my insurance (Keystone Health Plan East) but idk I am just worried I will get my hopes up and there will be a catch to it all! I'm diabetic and my bmi is 53.2! It's just time to take my life back! Pray for me!

My first consult appointment is 9 days away and I am super nervous and anxious about it! I already know that the surgery is covered by my insurance (Keystone Health Plan East) but idk I am just worried I will get my hopes up and there will be a catch to it all! I'm diabetic and my bmi is 53.2! It's just time to take my life back! Pray for me!

@@ishy1985 Said a prayer for you right now.

@@ishy1985 Said a prayer for you right now.

Thank you it's very much appreciated!

There is a lot of work and a list of things to do, but if your insurance covers it. There should not be any catches.

@@Onyx999 I felt for you when I read your last post. I too am one of those who have been overweight my entire life so I have an idea of how you feel. There have been a lot of good suggestions on this thread. I would suggest you look for a comprehensive weight management center that includes a fitness center. Personally, I do think 20 is a bit young for surgery, however, it is clear you need to start something! A good center will provide a dietitian to help out, a fitness center to help you exercise effectively and track your progress and a sensible eating plan. Once you have tackled the problem, see where it takes you.

With luck you'll be one of the ones who can do it without the surgical intervention. And if you do need surgery, all the documentation will be in place!

Good Luck!