Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I am new here..just getting the ball rolling for surgery. I have a ton of fears, and I have found that they change from day to day. I guess today I am on..the fear of not being able to make a true lifestyle change. If I could stick to eating healthy and exercising I would not be in the position to need WLS. I am afraid of failing as I have with every other diet I have tried over the years. At my first appointment I was handed a list of changes to make prior to surgery....the usual...low carbs, no sugar, no soda, high Protein. I almost laughed...people...if it were that easy I would not be standing here at 275lbs! How do you all make the lifestyle changes permanent?

Once you have the sleeve done, you know that you have to have mindful eating habits. You only get so much room with your new stomach and have to eat in a specific order. You will notice that certain foods will make you feel horrible and eating properly will give you good energy and feel good too. I thought that too, at first. After my 6 month supervised diet, I had more understanding of what I was getting myself into. The 1st 3-4 months were the hardest. Then once a strict routine was put in place, I did great! I lost 23 lbs during my supervised diet. My surgery was almost 6 months ago. I've lost a total of 73 lbs, so far. I have 20-25 to go before I hit my goal weight! Don't doubt yourself. You can do it. You and your health are worth making healthy, stronger and happier. We've all been in your position and had your thoughts. You are not alone at all. You got this!!!

Once you have the sleeve done, you know that you have to have mindful eating habits. You only get so much room with your new stomach and have to eat in a specific order. You will notice that certain foods will make you feel horrible and eating properly will give you good energy and feel good too. I thought that too, at first. After my 6 month supervised diet, I had more understanding of what I was getting myself into. The 1st 3-4 months were the hardest. Then once a strict routine was put in place, I did great! I lost 23 lbs during my supervised diet. My surgery was almost 6 months ago. I've lost a total of 73 lbs, so far. I have 20-25 to go before I hit my goal weight! Don't doubt yourself. You can do it. You and your health are worth making healthy, stronger and happier. We've all been in your position and had your thoughts. You are not alone at all. You got this!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I need all I can get.

It is very daunting to see all the lifestyle changes. Remember that no one will force you to make these changes. They are still up to you. However, keep in mind that your long-term weight loss success level may depend on them.

The sleeve is going to restrict your stomach size and remove the hunger hormone (ghrelin). That's it. Everything else is up to you.

The point of making some or all of these lifestyle change before surgery is that making many changes all at once (just after surgery, for example) can be difficult in the long-term. Making them slowly over time can allow you physical and mental time to adjust.

Whether you wait until after surgery is up to you. The food restriction and hunger components will be taken care of by the surgery and they are a massive help. However, your "head hunger" will not be taken care of by the surgery. So continue learning about your relationship with food, what triggers your eating, and what small changes you can make to be successful. Study the pre-op/post-op eating phases and what sort of foods you'll make that you enjoy. How can you add extra exercise in your day?

Bets of luck on your journey!

I too was fearful, no, terrified of failure. That demon is still out there,but gets smaller every day. You'll be amazed at how much things change after surgery. And if you follow the program religiously, it works beautifully! I'm 8 months out now, and I've surpassed my original goal of losing 111 pounds. Why? Because I followed ALL the rules. The sleeve is only a tool, but it's a really powerful one if you let it be. Good luck!!!

My surgery is in two days. And like you I am so full of fear of failing cause if I couldn't change my life style before how can I possibly now.

I hear you and your fears. We cross this bridge in small steps one day At a time

❤️

I did not read everyones comments but for me I had already made changes in food choices a few yrs ago I also had many yrs of therapy. Im not suggesting ANYTHING here. this is what helped ME. (I dont want to start no arguments nor point fingers) Ive read too many differant topics this afternoon here an I am almost at the point of afraid to even offer any suggestions that worked for us..sorry! anyways..I had already made up my mind before I even got to the stage of seeing a surgeon. I was determined to shed this fat suit I was hiding under. after getting professional help mentally, then clearing out the pantry of most processed foods, getting on the right thyroid med an thyroid working right I knew it was my time an all fell in place. but my FIRST thing I had to do was ask myself "do I seriously want to live the rest of my life (Im 51) fat, unhealthy an eat what I love to eat an stay in denial an just exist day to day an stay angry with myself for choosing this or am I going to take the bull by the horns an STOP this behavior dead in its tracts an TAKE CONTROL bck? live a happy life an just ACCEPT the way I was? NOPE!! I needed to take drastic changes an it was now or never. I fight within myself over 12 differant disease dx's an I wasnt going to just let life pass by. 4 yrs ago when my sister shared with me what she had to do in order to get her diseases more under control an managed better (we both are lupus and fibro pts) I laughed at her an said your crazy if Im going to stop eating this an eating that!! I know what your saying Iv done it! lol...a yr or so later after we talked I did my own research an I thought there has to be something to this lifestyle change. she has been in remission for 3 or 4 yrs now an since our lifestyle choice changes I am doing much better. (again...not saying this is for everyone!) you have chosen to do this as a TOOL. I went thru soo many fears an I kept questioning my decision over an over for 2 wks pre...but I knew I wanted it more then ever. nothing worked for me the past 15 plus yrs. Id lose an gained..all over. I was questioning if the sleeve would REALLY work for ME seeing that everything else under the sun had failed. I kept saying wonder if this is for me till the day of surgery. I know them fears! it was a battle in my head. scarey as hell. my surgeon warned me the first month is the worst. he was right..for me that is. everyone is differant. my struggle for me was the first month was struggling with my body wanted carbs an everything it had been depending on all them yrs an all of a sudden it stopped! mentally I struggled. but when I had my first weigh in at the end of the first wk I was floored!! when the proof was on the scale numbers I knew then it was actually going to work as long as I made the right choices an STAY on my protocol . having that tool to use your thinking really switches. after about 3 wks or so my cravings an withdrawls were done. I took one day at a time. the longest month of my life. but I would do it all over in a heartbeat!!! I am soo glad I didnt back out. no one can make you do this. but it is a lifetime of a lifestyle change. will you goof up or cheat? sure! dont beat yourself up. but in order to be succsessful follow your plan! to the best you can! Im sure you'll get alot of advice here. I luv this site. it has helped me soo much. this is just MY input. what I did . I wish you the best . I wanted my life back in control an not be a slave to food anymore. this tool was perfect for me an me an my new tummy work together! luv it! xx

My surgery is in two days. And like you I am so full of fear of failing cause if I couldn't change my life style before how can I possibly now.

I hear you and your fears. We cross this bridge in small steps one day At a time

Congratulations on your up coming surgery. I wish you the best of luck. Everyone has been so supportive and given great advice.

I did not read everyones comments but for me I had already made changes in food choices a few yrs ago I also had many yrs of therapy. Im not suggesting ANYTHING here. this is what helped ME. (I dont want to start no arguments nor point fingers) Ive read too many differant topics this afternoon here an I am almost at the point of afraid to even offer any suggestions that worked for us..sorry! anyways..I had already made up my mind before I even got to the stage of seeing a surgeon. I was determined to shed this fat suit I was hiding under. after getting professional help mentally, then clearing out the pantry of most processed foods, getting on the right thyroid med an thyroid working right I knew it was my time an all fell in place. but my FIRST thing I had to do was ask myself "do I seriously want to live the rest of my life (Im 51) fat, unhealthy an eat what I love to eat an stay in denial an just exist day to day an stay angry with myself for choosing this or am I going to take the bull by the horns an STOP this behavior dead in its tracts an TAKE CONTROL bck? live a happy life an just ACCEPT the way I was? NOPE!! I needed to take drastic changes an it was now or never. I fight within myself over 12 differant disease dx's an I wasnt going to just let life pass by. 4 yrs ago when my sister shared with me what she had to do in order to get her diseases more under control an managed better (we both are lupus and fibro pts) I laughed at her an said your crazy if Im going to stop eating this an eating that!! I know what your saying Iv done it! lol...a yr or so later after we talked I did my own research an I thought there has to be something to this lifestyle change. she has been in remission for 3 or 4 yrs now an since our lifestyle choice changes I am doing much better. (again...not saying this is for everyone!) you have chosen to do this as a TOOL. I went thru soo many fears an I kept questioning my decision over an over for 2 wks pre...but I knew I wanted it more then ever. nothing worked for me the past 15 plus yrs. Id lose an gained..all over. I was questioning if the sleeve would REALLY work for ME seeing that everything else under the sun had failed. I kept saying wonder if this is for me till the day of surgery. I know them fears! it was a battle in my head. scarey as hell. my surgeon warned me the first month is the worst. he was right..for me that is. everyone is differant. my struggle for me was the first month was struggling with my body wanted carbs an everything it had been depending on all them yrs an all of a sudden it stopped! mentally I struggled. but when I had my first weigh in at the end of the first wk I was floored!! when the proof was on the scale numbers I knew then it was actually going to work as long as I made the right choices an STAY on my protocol . having that tool to use your thinking really switches. after about 3 wks or so my cravings an withdrawls were done. I took one day at a time. the longest month of my life. but I would do it all over in a heartbeat!!! I am soo glad I didnt back out. no one can make you do this. but it is a lifetime of a lifestyle change. will you goof up or cheat? sure! dont beat yourself up. but in order to be succsessful follow your plan! to the best you can! Im sure you'll get alot of advice here. I luv this site. it has helped me soo much. this is just MY input. what I did . I wish you the best . I wanted my life back in control an not be a slave to food anymore. this tool was perfect for me an me an my new tummy work together! luv it! xx

Thanks..your advice is always welcome here..

You will not fail. This procedure will not allow it. Now, if you had a severe eating disorder and ate huge amounts in spite of the horrible pain it would cause, then yes, you could fail. But for most if us, the restriction is enough to change your behavior and then habits for good. There really is nothing to fear. It's a few months of recovery, hard at first, then it gets easier and easier. You will be great. Just be good to yourself and try to rest as much as possible while healing.

How you doing? Wanted to see if your feeling more at ease.