Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Sleevers...where are you?

@bubbly_d@bubbly_d

Hi cooperjack,

I had EXTREME insurance anxiety. When I talked to my surgeon about it he said only about 4% of his patients get denied. That made me feel a little better. I was shocked that I got an approval phone call from Excellus BlueCross BlueShielf the very same day my paperwork was submitted. I am scheduled for surgery May 1st :) I am sure you would not have gotten this far in the process if they did not think you would be approved. Good luck!!

Hello! I live in Rochester, NY and I'm planning on surgery with omalley too! I was wondering how long it took you from the seminar to the Surgery date? I've been told that with excellus BCBS it can take up to two years, that's really discouraging to me!

Hello Nyvsg,

The entire process took about 6 months. I attended the first seminar on November 17th. I then had my first nutritional appointment on December 28th (group appt) and two individual follow-ups each a month a part. At the second individual appt, the nutritionist signed off on my progress and I was able to set up my appt with Dr. O'Malley. I had my consultation and selected my surgery date on March 26th. Had I not been on birth control, he could have sleeved me the next week, however you have to be off for a month prior and a month post. I was sleeved on May 1st and at 6 1/2 weeks out, I am down 26 lbs from my heaviest weight and 22lbs from the day of surgery.

I received the call from insurance approving my surgery literally 5 hours after my appointment with Dr. O'Malley to set up my surgery date. I was shocked! If you have a BMI over 40 with proven attempts at weigh loss you should have zero problem getting approved. Best of luck! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

@bubbly_d@bubbly_d

Hi cooperjack,

I had EXTREME insurance anxiety. When I talked to my surgeon about it he said only about 4% of his patients get denied. That made me feel a little better. I was shocked that I got an approval phone call from Excellus BlueCross BlueShielf the very same day my paperwork was submitted. I am scheduled for surgery May 1st :) I am sure you would not have gotten this far in the process if they did not think you would be approved. Good luck!!

Hello! I live in Rochester, NY and I'm planning on surgery with omalley too! I was wondering how long it took you from the seminar to the Surgery date? I've been told that with excellus BCBS it can take up to two years, that's really discouraging to me!

Is anyone experiencing fatigue? I dont have any energy. I know Im not reaching my Protein goals but I can barely stomach the Protein Shakes anymore. I get dressed go to work them pretty much come home and rest the rest of the night. The doc says I should be starting to exercise but I don't have the strength. Hope this is temporary.

Is anyone experiencing fatigue? I dont have any energy. I know Im not reaching my Protein goals but I can barely stomach the Protein Shakes anymore. I get dressed go to work them pretty much come home and rest the rest of the night. The doc says I should be starting to exercise but I don't have the strength. Hope this is temporary.

It can depend on a lot of things. What is your carb intake? Water intake? how many calories per day are you getting? Protein could be one of them, and there are other options besides shakes to get it in.

I was feeling really tired for the first two weeks after my surgery. I got my delivery for some sublingual Vitamin B12 and I feel like that has helped a little. Are you taking a vitamin b12 supplement?

Try different protein shakes. I, personally, did not like the thicker ones, such as Muscle milk light. My favs have been EAS AdvantEdge rtd, and Designer whey. I mix the chocolate powder with Water and crushed ice, then blend till thick and creamy, in a bullet. You can even add PB2. Alot of people, also like the nectar products, which are not milky and come in TONS of flavors.

Other sources of protein include:

egg substitute (is pasteurized so can even be added to shakes)

fat free cottage chese/ricotta (you can season the ricotta like you would for stuffed shells and heat with low carb sauce or I have a recipe for cannoli cream)

ff/sf Greek yogurt

I was allowed those things, even in the liquid phase

Are you on regular food? If so, i can give you some recipes for protein pancakes, muffins and Cookies.< /p>

Good luck, it DOES get easier.

The first two weeks I too felt w fatigue like most. At my post op I spoke w doc and he asked how much Water was I drinking (I was only drinking half) he said it's not how little food I'm eating it's the WATER INTAKE. Standard intake 62 or 64 oz. Once I started increasing water I felt good.

I was experiencing fatigue as well, my doctor said I will get more energy as time passes. I am 4 weeks out and I do see a difference, I however pushed my self to start going to the gym 3 days a week, hoping to pick it up with another day next week. I got a burst of energy yesterday after work which felt great. Hoping I get more days like that. I also walk at lunch some days which I also thinks helps. Good Luck.

I posted this as another topic, but figured I'd share my update with my fellow May sleevers:

So I had my one month follow-up appointment yesterday and assumed I was moving from pureed foods to soft foods for two weeks until my 6-week appointment. But my surgeon shocked me by saying I'm okay to move onto solid foods. He made a few disclaimers, such as trying new things when I'm comfortable and avoiding fibrous vegetables like celery right now.

So I basically ended up in Stop & Shop with my sister last night looking around like a person who had never been in a grocery store before because I had so many options now. I felt totally unprepared because I was expecting soft foods first! I only bought cucumbers (to eat with hummus) and crystal light. I ate some chicken last night, non-pureed, and it went down fine. So I don't think he's wrong that I'm ready for solids, but I'm still really nervous!

I also asked my surgeon about my calorie intake and I told him I was getting 400-600 a day but the last few days it was more like 700 because I was hitting my Protein goal. He told me I needed to be around 1000-1200 which shocked me too, because I've read about people on here who are maintaining on that...

And finally, I told him how I wasn't getting nearly 64 ounces of Water, and he told me not to worry about it and to keep separating liquids and solids and just drink when I'm thirsty. I'm also allowed to drink alcohol (in moderation, of course) at this point.

--------

It all feels so real now! I'm starting to freak out. I'm totally afraid I'll fail. It's a lot easier to avoid carbs when you're limited to pureed foods.

@@Sara51692 Sounds like you are doing wonderfully! As long as you continue to avoid carbs, such as :sugar, flour, bread, Pasta, rice and potatoes you will crave them less & less. If I eat any of those things, I fight cravings for at least two days. It's easier to just not have those things.

Yay Sara! You can still limit carbs even on regular food. chicken, fish, cucumbers, spinach, eggs, baby omelets, etc. You are doing well.

@TheRealMeIsHere!

Thanks -- you seem like you'd done great! Congrats on reaching your goal (even if it was a few months ago) =)

I'm so nervous about carbs. My family gets take out a lot and my friends go out to eat a lot, and every time I've looked at a menu since surgery, it seems like everything is full of carbs. I love cooking, but I commute for almost 3 hours a day so it's difficult to do every night.

Edited by Sara51692

Yay Sara! You can still limit carbs even on regular food. chicken, fish, cucumbers, spinach, eggs, baby omelets, etc. You are doing well.

I need to warm myself up to the idea of trying fish. I hate most seafood but I recently started liking fish tacos (so the fish is fried AND there's tortilla...), so I'm thinking I might be able to make the transition to fish.

@TheRealMeIsHere!

Thanks -- you seem like you'd done great! Congrats on reaching your goal (even if it was a few months ago) =)

I'm so nervous about carbs. My family gets take out a lot and my friends go out to eat a lot, and every time I've looked at a menu since surgery, it seems like everything is full of carbs. I love cooking, but I commute for almost 3 hours a day so it's difficult to do every night.

Thanks, actually it's been several years at goal. When eating out, it's fairly easy to ask that food be prepared without flour/cornstarch or fat/oil of any kind. I always specify this, as even if you ask for grilled, they may still cook it in oil or butter, sometimes adding that it's for medical reasons. (it sort of is, as obesity is unhealthy)Most places will accommodate. Chinese food is VERY easy, order something that's veggies & lean Protein and ask that they use no oil or cornstarch and you can even get the sauce on the side so that you control the amount. Moo Shu is one of my favs

Most places have grilled chicken, beef or seafood. I often order a small salad with one of those options. As far as the fish tacos, you can ask for grilled fish, no tortilla and salad. Or just the protein portion of an entree with no potato or bread.

Ruby Tuesday has great options & a wonderful salad bar. In the beginning, I would get a skewer of shrimp and explain that since that was my meal, could I please get salad bar at the add-on price, since I couldn't eat much anyway.

Most places will do omelettes with egg substitute or whites, add some non-starchy veggies and maybe a side of salsa, YUM!! Then, again, I ask that they use no oil/butter and do not give me toast or potatoes. If they are there I will eat some of them!! So, it's easier to not have them staring at me, lol!

When you do have the time to cook, you can reinvent your favs. I have recreated all my unhealthy favs, comfort foods and family favorites, to fit my new way of life. ALL the taste and satisfaction NONE of the fat or carbs. I can share some if anyone is interested

You are doing great, you will be fine. Enjoy this, wonderful new life, embrace it, get creative!