Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is just two days away and I couldn't be happier to begin my new life. What I don't like is that I work with a bunch of extremely judgmental people and hate the fact that I feel I have to lie about why I am having surgery. With comments like "anyone that puts in the effort can loose weight and keep it off if they seriously want to" or, my personal favorite, "weight loss surgery is the lazy persons way out" who can blame me! I so want to tell them there is nothing "easy" about WLS and I am far from lazy, but that would just give me away. Hearing behind the back comments made about a previous co-worker who had WLS about 5 years ago was awful. I simply do not understand why people wouldn't be supportive in every way possible.

I don't understand why people feel they are the expert and can sit and judge someone for a choice they are making. I don't even like to hear people put down one wls over another. It's all about personal choice and what an individual needs to be successful!!! Best wishes and good luck with your decision. You did not take the easy way out. Those thoughts just come from uninformed people!

you own them NOTHING.... no explanation. it's no of there business. I felt the same way when i had surgery. That i had to hid what i was doing. My standard answer to .... Wow, you have lost some weight, how did you do it..... I simply said, I watch everything i eat, cut down my portions and started exercising..... which was the truth. and then i walked away.... unless it was one of the bitches that use to say bad things about fat people, but who has now gained weight..... To them i would say... the same thing, but i added...Wow you have put on some pounds... what happened to you? Watch there face and the expression, flip my hair....and walk away.... boop!!

Totally feel the same way, I work with a lot of people younger than I am by 10-20 years, they have no idea of my life or what I've been through but the judge anyway. I have not told anyone other than my husband, son and one co-worker after she quit. I'm down 40 pounds over the last 10 months and I also just tell people that I am just watching what I eat and leave it at that. It's none of their business. Good luck to you!!!!!

My surgery is in two weeks and I've told some people but not broadcasting it to the world. I get either supportive (well go you! that's awesome!) comments or the total opposite (don't do that! I knew someone who died from that! I knew someone who blah, blah, blah). They are ignorant and I just smile and keep firm to my decision. I'm doing it for me and not for anyone else.

Plus I secretly think the haters are afraid that I'll get skinnier than them :)

I am so glad that i don't work right now. Some ladies I used to work with kind of all started losing weight and I, too, was super inspired by it, joined WW, etc. but it DID not work for me. I tried - believe me. One of the women had a sister who had had bypass several years ago and who was having it done a 2nd time. This woman was very judgmental. I sort of get it, because she was seeing her sister continue to make bad mistakes and not change, but it def made me not want to tell people. Now that I am not working (all that was a few years ago) I have the luxury of not having to explain myself to anyone, but I still haven't told many people. I have a couple of girlfriends who I don't see very often, but I was debating on whether or not to tell them. Part of our dynamic was that we were "fat gals who have fun.' It was part of who we were together. Even though I don't see them often, I thought about what it would be like to see them all of a sudden and I had lost a lot of weight. So I sent them both a message on Facebook just to let them I had the surgery. One of them was so supportive and enthusiastic that I laughed to myself about being worried of their reaction. But the other friend didn't say anything. I just assumed she let her sister (the other friend) express for both of them. Then I saw her at church randomly and she herself had lost a good amount of weight. I don't know; that kind of hurt. And I realize she went down a more traditional diet path, but I was surprised she hadn't shared with me when I reached out to her. Oh well. It just goes to show that you never know how others are going to react, but I am still glad I haven't told many. this is my journey, not theirs. And I, too, will respond with changing the way I eat, portion size, exercise as my response once the people who are around me start to notice.

Edited by Keeper

I told no one...I took a week off of vacation for my surgery and recovery.

I lost all my weight. Everyday I go about my business like it's just another day.

And now, 4 years later, it's all old news...people don't even think of me as ever being fat, and new people who I meet never knew I was fat....

Even my wife doesn't bring it up anymore...the surgery is a memory.

So who cares if it was easy?? All I care is that I did something to take care of myself and my family. It's done, finished, and since moved on to a (New improved) normal life.

In the beginning as the pounds were melting away, people did ask me all the time how I was doing it....I told them the truth:

"I eat less, a lot less, concentrate on high Protein foods, given up certain foods such as red meat, flour based foods such as bread, Pasta, and other things, start the day with high Protein smoothies, drink Water all day, and I go to the gym every chance I get"

I sincerely turned my life around! Told them I had no choice...Dr.'s orders...it was either that or die (literally)

Today, people don't compliment me on my weight loss, (old news) Today I get plenty of compliments on what great shape and how good I look for someone my age....my answer is still the same (it's a lifestyle) as it was in the beginning.

Edited by B-52

After 2 years people hardly comment on my weight anymore. I did tell anyone who asked that I had weight loss surgery to save my life . I had several people who actually admitted that they were considering having surgery but weren't sure it would work until they saw me. I am not ashamed that I chose lapband and if someone doesn't like it or has negative comments I just say well it was my choice and if you think it was the 'easy" way out you try it. Most of my family and friends were very positive and have stayed that way. There are a few who are also overweight who say I would never do that. Some have tried everything like I did but haven't reached that point where you have to do something that will work. I also don't sugar coat it, it's not easy and you have to still watch what you eat and exercise. I will say it's the best thing I have ever done and have been able to discontinue all meds.