Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been diabetic since I was 18 (I'm now 41) and on a pump for over 15 years. I had a lap band put in 7 years ago and when I got pregnant I had them take out the Fluid. Now "my baby" is 4! I went to get a fill and my doctor pretty much insisted that I should get an RnY, that it would add years to my life without diabetic complications. What have other people experienced? I'm a little bit worried about my blood sugar dropping after the surgery and not being able to eat to bring my sugar level up again. I'm not sure why that bugs me so much other than it feels horrible when your brain is screaming for sugar and you can't eat fast enough. I'd love to hear from others how this has worked for you.

Hi there...I just came across your post. I am in the final stages before Gastric Bypass surgery (going for anesthesia consult on April 10th and then to schedule with the surgeon. I am also 41 and on the insulin pump. I've been diabetic since 11 yrs. old. I am concerned about blood sugar issues too. I am not sure what to expect. I've been told to schedule an apt. w/my endo prior to surgery to talk about pump changes and I do plan to do that as I have confidence in my endo (worked closely with me when I was pregnant with my little one, now age 2 1/2). Even still, I am really anxious about what this will be like once I have the surgery. With the dumping syndrome, what are we going to do if we have a low and need carbs? What will happen if we need carbs for a low but our body rejects the high sugary juice or whatever we try to take to bring it up (like we throw it up or something)? I am nervous. I know this can work somehow, but am thinking it is going to be a balancing act and will take several tries to figure it all out. I've already been told that because I'm type 1, not to expect the diabetes to go away completely, but to be easier to manage. I don't have all the answers to your questions, but feel in the same boat, for sure! Some time has passed since your post. Where are you at in your journey?

Hi, I'm also Type 1 diabetic on an Insulin pump, have been diabetic for over 25 years and I had RNY Gastric by pass 12 January 2015.

I'm doing well, I have lost so far 33 pounds! I had the same worries as you about having hypos after the operation.

I used small Apple juice cartons (without the straws) and also the chewable dextrose sweets that you melt in the mouth, they both didn't cause any problems, BUT I had to sip the apple J very slowly so it took time for my blood sugar levels to rise!

My HBA1c is so much better now (2 months later) must be because I don't many carbs. My Basal changed dramatically straight after the operation, I take half the amount of Insulin then I did before.

I will always be an Insulin dependant diabetic, don't kid yourself that it will magically disappear ! It only disappears for Type 2's.

Am here for you if you have any questions, am happy to help ????

I have been a type 1 diabetic since I was 6 years old and am also on an insulin pump. I had the same fears about low blood sugars!!! I am 2 weeks out and I have been having the opposite problem!! My sugars are running so high!!! I am averaging the mid-200's!! I keep going up on my basal and am almost back to my pre-surgery levels! So frustrating !! I just went to pureed diet and am so scared to eat anything since all the sugar-free Clear Liquids kept me high. I am hoping this is a stress on the body reaction with the high sugars and things will calm down. We shall see

Definitely sounds like stress and possibly the anaesthetic still in your body , I'm sure it's going to start coming down soon and you will be changing your bonus and taking less Insulin ????

Hello. I am 4 months post op, type 2 diabetic. So sorry I can't give any info about type 1 , but I was worried about blood sugar dropping. But it really hasn't happened much. I feel a bit low, it usually doesn't last long. I think the hardest is for your body to get used to a new lower blood sugar level.

Type 2's are also not "cured" with WLS. I have been told I will always be diabetic. I wish I was cured.

I have been a type 1 diabetic since I was 6 years old and am also on an insulin pump. I had the same fears about low blood sugars!!! I am 2 weeks out and I have been having the opposite problem!! My sugars are running so high!!! I am averaging the mid-200's!! I keep going up on my basal and am almost back to my pre-surgery levels! So frustrating !! I just went to pureed diet and am so scared to eat anything since all the sugar-free clear liquids kept me high. I am hoping this is a stress on the body reaction with the high sugars and things will calm down. We shall see

My blood sugar ran high for several weeks. Then it calmed down. Healing is tough on the blood sugar. It will get better.