Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories intake 3 months out of Gastric Sleeve Surgery

And yes, I pretty much don't sleep lol not by choice though

I don't even worry about fluids. I drink a ton! I normally drink 32oz of Water 3-4 times a day.

I tried the English muffin for the first time today.

I'm trying my best to slow down eating, I truly am. Maybe there's just to much Fluid in my stomach all the time it just goes through faster,lol

I think I'll call my NUT tomorrow

3 months out I was averaging about 600-700 but my doctor wanted me to be taking in closer to 1,000. I think this is one of those things that can be pretty individualized based on your bmi and how quickly your losing and some other factors

. .....pretty much the same for me. Nut wants me 1000-1100 calories/day. My sleeve surgery was 11-4-14.

I hit the 3wk stall then started loosing again. Right now I feel like I'm eating all the time yet I'm not. On a great day maybe 800 calories. I'm currently In another stall mainly I feel because I've had some unexpected surgeries within the last month. Gained over10lbs from I'v.

Just stay focused and log your food. See where you might be able to reduce calories. It's a true learning process.

Are you still losing? Is your nutritionist aware of your schedule. Don't worry about sleep. I only get 5 hours a night. I would speak with your nutritionist and focus on not so much how many calories you are eating, but what you are eating. I agree you need may need more fuel for such a busy life but there may be a better way to get there. I think with some tweaking you could probably get between 900 -1000 calories and not feel hungry.

It doesn't sound like you need the shakes if your eating. Just cut back to one a day and enjoy food. I'm 4.5 month post op and eat about 650-800 calories a day. I sometimes drink a Protein Shake on workout days. Good Luck!!!

@@BLERDgirl

I am still losing. I spoke to her and she is aware of my busy schedule. She said " Protein first and 1200 is not uncommon at this point due to my busy schedule "

But I have since cut back, a lot. I have been a cranky B, super anxious and miserable. It's only been a few days too lol

I'm going back to my original plan, it seemed to be working. I can't make myself sick by cutting way back and worry if I am going to gain if I hit the 1,200 calorie mark. I seriously was getting depressed because I felt like I failed already :(

Instead of "cutting back" I suggest that you wean off of the Protein shakes and eat solid food Protein sources instead. They will help you feel full and be fewer calories. My doctor really emphasizes "eating solid food" as a key for his most successful patients.

Bottom line: you need to follow your path/plan. If you are satisfied with your loss and pace, then the calorie number shouldn't matter. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Good luck!

Edited by Elizabeth21

I am about 3 months out, but my nutritionist doesn't focus on counting calories. Their biggest concern is getting my Protein in. But I do use myfitnesspal app to track everything so I know that I only eat about 600-800 calories a day. I usually have a pure Protein Bar for Breakfast (160cal), premier Protein shake at some point throughout the day (200cal), grilled chicken or turkey roll ups (about 200cals), then occasionally I'll have a fourth meal which would be another 200 or so calories.

I am also 3 months out and I don't count my calories but I would say I am around 1000. Probably some days 800 and other days 1100. I have 5 small meals throughout the day. I usually only have one shake a day as I find they don't hold me over as long as real food. I haven't found a bar that I love however I did just order some new one's that I read about on here. I do workout everyday and that usually burns between 400-600 so if I am feeling like I need more food I grab a handful of almonds or something because I figure it's your bodies way of telling you it's not getting enough.

If your still losing and your nutritionist is happy then life is good.

What I'm comfortable with and actually what is recommended by my NUT is 1000. My rules, at least 1 g Protein per 10 calories, no more than 3 g fat per 100 calories, and average 4-6 carbs/sugars per servings. If I don't get 1000 calories, I get hungry and I feel like crap enough that I can't work out. Actually, every single one of my stalls has happened when I missed my calorie goal and it always jump starts when I get enough calories and start exercising again. That's why the month of February has been so low on weight loss for me (and quite depressing too). I was either not getting enough calories, or just eating wrong in general. I'm back on track now. Even spent 30 mins on the elliptical yesterday which I could not have done on 800 calories.

You need to figure out your happy medium. I personally wouldn't be eating an english muffin and I'm a little over 3 months out. I eat greek yogurt, lunch meat, hummus, cheese, grilled chicken, bacon, tuna salad, eggs, etc. All high Protein foods and very very verrrrrry rarely do I eat anything starchy. Oh, I also drink one Isopure Zero Carb a day with 40 grams protein. If you traded the english muffin for something higher in protein, you'd feel fuller longer and be more comfortable with lower calories. Oh, and I know the Quest bars can be great (I eat them occasionally), but there are other ways to get that much protein without packing the 20 carbs they do. Good luck to you. I know everybody handles their diets differently and what works for me may not necessarily work for you.

There's alot of factors that contribute to how much you should intake. #1 is your weight and #2 is your activity level. I was doing 600-800 a day and put myself into starvation mode. Now i eat between 800-1200 a day. you can find high calorie high Protein foods to eat that will help you so you dont have to drink Protein shakes and eat Protein Bars. Good luck!!!

@@tfarr - That's why I asked. However I do agree you can cut back and focus on getting your Protein from food. Personally I would quit the Protein Bars. They are high in calories and carbs. You can get the Protein they contain in other sources.

Otherwise if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just keep in touch with your nutritionist and work with her to make sure you are on track.

I agree everyone's body is different. I too avoid breads, potatoes, rice, crackers. I eat probably 700 -850 calories a day. I try to keep my carbs at 50 or lower. I workout 5 -6 days a week. I have a protein shake in the morning if I am taking my 9am Water aerobics class. In part to get my protein in but also because I can't eat and workout first thing in the morning. Otherwise I get my protein from food. I do 3 meals a day and may do an afternoon snack if I need it. I've never had a stall. *knock on wood*

Edited by BLERDgirl

How do you people eat only 500-700 a day? I am hungry ALL the time and probably average 900-1200 a day. I feel this surgery was a waste of time, as I'm not losing much and it hasn't helped at all with hunger. And no, it's not "head" hunger. I know the difference.

@@muzikgal21 - What are you eating?

I think it depends on the food. I just finished dinner and I am stuffed! Seriously as in tightness in the belly stuffed. I had 3/4 cup of raw spinach, 2 grape tomatoes, a sunny side up egg, a small blood orange 1 oz of pepper jack cheese and a sandwich pickle slice. My total calories for today are 785 with 71gms of Protein. I also did an hour of aerobics today. What helps me is to constantly sip Water in between meals. It helps me reach my Fluid goals and keeps my belly full. Not to mention I never have problems with Constipation.< /p>

I find I lose better if my keep my Protein at or above 70 and get in at least 64 o of fluids, most of which has to be Water I also have to workout at least 5 days a week. Everyone is different but this is what my body responds to. If my calories go over 950 and I don't get enough water or exercise, I don't lose.

Edited by BLERDgirl

@@muzikgal21, I'm so with you on the calories. I would be starvation mode if I ate 500-700 cal. I eat approx 1100 calories a day & feel like I can eat more, so I have to definately practice restraint.

I called my nutritionist the other day to confirm my calorie allowance. I was told I can have between 900-1100 cal a day. Myfitnesspal allows more calories when you workout, I had hoped I could use some of the allowance but she said no. Oh well.

I am still losing, slowly. But,I don't regret the sugery at all. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made. I do wish though, that I had the restriction that others have.