Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did your hair fall out?

I don't know for sure, but I imagine it depends on the cycle of the hair follicle. If the cycle is 6 months, then I would think that you would be safe after 6 months.

@@Praiseiii No clue since everyone is so different. For the last 2 days I've only lost a few strands...surly its not over already?! Not that I'd be complaining but it only happened for maybe a week....so Weird.

Edited by Elode

Ugh, now I'm terrified. My hair is already thin on top. It bugs me as is, I don't want to look like a balding man. :(

I guess I'll ask my doctor about the Vitamins I'm supposed to be taking and if I should add anything for my hair.< /p>

Oh I was was so sad when mine started to fall out. It's still coming out in clumps everytime I wash it, and handfulls the rest of the time, I see people I work with walk past, and see my hair hanging off them, they don't notice, but I do. I don't think there's any thing anyone can do about it, it's either gong to happen or it's not. I wasn't one of the lucky ones. It's still coming out like crazy, and I mean crazy. I finally went to get it chopped off to my shoulders, and my poor hairdresser screamed when she grabbed my hair, and was shocked when she combed it out. I've lost aobut 40% of my hair, and with no end in sight, I'm a little nervous, but this has not made me wish I hadn't done the sleeve, I will be eternally grateful for ever for it! I think I started around month three or four.

I heard that the actual Anesthesia is what causes the Hair loss. I am not an expert but wanted to know if anyone else had heard of this or experianced this first hand.

I was also told the anesthesia caused it. I was also was told the 'stress of surgery'.

Mine started at 3 months. Then I decided to get a very short pixie cut right after New Years, to cut off all the damaged ends. I still shed at about 8 mos but it's slowed drastically (no more clumps) and my hair is very healthy again.

There are a number of different things that will cause your hair to fall out. Anesthesia, stress, and also the change in out diets that we are not getting all the Vitamins and essentials we were from out foods.

I have had 22 surgeries to date, not one time did I experience hair loss, from the major surgeries or anesthesia, thank Goodness. I had the sleeve done 12/3/14, and am experiencing some loss, appearing to be more than the normal 50-100 daily count (so I've been told), but then again, I haven't actually counted it yet. My hair is longer, so even if it is under the 100 count, it looks like more. My attitude about it is this: "this, too, shall pass". Can I wait? Do I have a choice? It'll pass, maybe a little unflatteringly, but I have faith it will pass, and just thank God I am now without diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and a whole lot less poundage. It is worth it!

It can be pretty traumatic and I don't know why (some) surgeons and nutritionist fail to mention it to the patients. It's pretty common so they have to know this side effect. My surgery team didn't tell me, I just happen to be on here before surgery and read about it, then I brought it up to them in the office and it was a "oh yes that can happen" well don't you think you outta tell someday something like that?!!! Especially women!! I was pissed! Not that I would have changed my mind but just the fact that if not for this site my hair would be falling out and I would have no clue as to why or be prepared for it! Thank goodness for this site!

My surgeon told me, I had to sign a paper acknowledging all the side effects and that was one of them. I was worried but apparently not enough to not have the surgery. I have had many many surgeries due

To having breast cancer and reconstruction I didn't have any hair

Loss then either.

It's called telogen effluvium. In most surgical cases, it's acute as opposed to chronic loss - meaning it will grow back. The rate of regrowth though is different for each person - some people grow hair fast, others not so much.

Edited by sprocket

As the hair Falls...and other soap operic topics...

I offered my husband the "leavings" of my scalp, but he refused (go figure...he's been bald the whole time I've known him, some 19 years...can't understand why?!). So I thought, why not save it for the deer deterrent in my vegetable garden (I've heard to put it in old stockings, then tie it up around the perimeter of the garden) - should keep the deer away, just the sight of that much hair SHOULD scare them, they will think there are HUNDREDS of us humans around that garden! Then I noticed that the hair in various "unsavory" areas of my body is NOT falling out, WHERE is the JUSTICE in that, pray tell? Again, I say, "this, too, shall pass", but in the meantime, let's get CREATIVE with this fallen treasure, it CAN'T be there just to keep the plumbers in employment! So, I'd like to hear YOUR ideas for the fallen masses (or is that TRESSES?)...this should be good reading!

Just wanted to chime in - as a hairstylist I'd advise against extensions daily. They add weight and will pull the fragile hair out. Even on normal hair, Hair loss is a side effect of extensions. I opted to go shorter to reduce weight but I have been known to sport extensions on special evenings ????❤️ I'm suffering hair loss in insane amounts and its hard.