Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 3 months post-op and so very frustrated! My weight has slowed this past month and I've been at a stall for weeks. Today I get on the scale and I've gained 2 pounds! Why??? I track everything I eat, consuming around 600 calories, and between 48-66 grams of Protein. I am so terrified that I won't lose anymore weight and I'll be 224 pounds for the rest of my life. My heaviest weight was 292 and I've lost a considerable amount in three months but I want to lose more. I didn't have surgery to still be considered obese. Any suggestions? I am in need of some serious encouragement. ????

It is common to hit a stall during the weight loss process. I did about half way through. At the time I looked at my caloric intake including the calories in the Protein shakes and reduced my intake there. And I was back in my weight loss mode.

But in your case, your caloric intake is much smaller than mine at the time. In figuring your caloric intake are you counting your Protein supplements in the figure? The type of weight loss surgery also has a lot to do with your weight loss. I had RNY and my weight fell like a lead brick. But those with sleeve tend to lose more gradually over a longer period of time.

Also even though your weight loss may be in a stall, you might see the weight loss in a different light. It may show up in reduced clothing sizes. You body is still in a mending mode, so hang in there and good luck.

I suspect you are in starvation mode. Not enough calories or Protein. I might suggest you call your surgeons office and have a quick conversation.

I completely agree with Djmohr.

James, I had RNY too. I am at my half way point as far as pounds I need to lose. I do count Protein supplements in my total calories. I was just at the doctors a week ago. I was told to not track calories for now because obviously I was not consuming enough. For now my protein intake goal is 70 grams per day. I better step it up! Thanks ladies too for your comments! ????

James, I had RNY too. I am at my half way point as far as pounds I need to lose. I do count Protein supplements in my total calories. I was just at the doctors a week ago. I was told to not track calories for now because obviously I was not consuming enough. For now my Protein intake goal is 70 grams per day. I better step it up! Thanks ladies too for your comments!

When I encountered a stall, I searched for answers. I added up my calories. I included the calories from the 3 Protein shakes per day I was consuming. The Protein Shakes added quite a bit of calories. At the time, I was beginning to derive a bit more protein from my meals. I cut back to 2 protein shakes per day and I began to lose again. There are different kinds of protein shakes and some contain more calories than others.

The protein intake goal is a combination of the protein derived from meals combined with the protein derived from supplements (protein shakes, protein bars). At my current state (1 cup per meal) I am deriving around 60 grams of protein from my meals alone. I am off protein supplements. I derive a little additional protein from either a cup of hot (no sugar added) cocoa or a blueberry smoothie. I am in maintenance mode and my current goal is to maintain my weight loss and at the same time be happy. So in this state I am trading off a few extra calories for enjoyment.

James, I usually only have one Protein Shake per day, Premier Protein (30 g. Protein and 160 calories) and the rest of my protein I get from food. For Breakfast I usually have Dannon Oikos Greek yogurt with mixed berries, lunch can be the same but sometimes I'll have cottage cheese or some type of Soup either broccoli/cheese, bean, or chili. For dinner depending on what I have made the family I might have a little hamburger with a tablespoon of mashed potatoes. meat in general makes me sick to my stomach and I don't do well with it so I ignore it all together. I'm thinking maybe the Soups are not a good choice unless its bean or chili. Then at night I'll have my protein shake. I've also had Unjury Protein Powder mixed with Lactose Fat-Free milk and berries for a meal. I joined a gym about two weeks ago and I try to walk on the treadmill three times per week for 30 minutes. This past week I haven't been because I had exams and my son has been home from school since we have had bad weather. This weight loss stuff has been hard to deal with! I thought mentally I was totally prepared but these hiccups/stalls are driving me crazy! Thanks for your help too. I really appreciate it. :)

Edited by SandyS

I also in my third month, surgery date Nov 18. I have gaining and losing the same 3 pounds. Just when I think that I have finally beaten it, the weight comes back to life. I was (and still do get) frustrated with the process. Around 2 weeks ago I came up with the idea of measuring myself again. Sure enough I had lost 3 inches off my waist, 3 off my thighs etc. So now I try not to weigh myself as often and rely more on my clothing. I work out 5-6 days a week. I lift weights 4x week (2x upper body, 2x lower body), I walk 3-4 miles weather permitting and I walk another 1.5 miles on the treadmill on my gym workout days. Even doing this and watching my diet I wasn't losing. Now I just work on staying positive and knowing that at some point the weight has to come off. I see my surgeon and nutritionist the first week in March, so hopefully will find out more then.

Hi Turtle Friend! My surgery was 11/20! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one stuck. Maybe we are at that stage in our journey. For now all we can do is stick to the plan and keep smiling! Best of luck to you. ????

Hi SandyS, I have thinking about you and if you have any breakthroughs. I am still stalling (5 wks now). I am working out a lot, but I am now starting to revert back to some old habits. The frustration is really hurting me. I do hope that you are doing better. Any advice would be great.

Hi SandyS, I have thinking about you and if you have any breakthroughs. I am still stalling (5 wks now). I am working out a lot, but I am now starting to revert back to some old habits. The frustration is really hurting me. I do hope that you are doing better. Any advice would be great.

Hi! So nice to hear from you. :) I am sorry you are so frustrated. This too shall pass (I hope, lol). Since posting this I have only lost 5 pounds. I'm frustated but I see the changes with my body and I am happy. I am trying so hard to not focus so much on the scale but more on how my clothes fit. I read on here that exercising a lot will actually work against you. My exercise therapist told me that at this point it does not matter how little I exercise because my body is still adjusting and too much will slow weight loss. My body will begin to think I am starving and weight loss will stop. I only go to the gym three days per week and walk 20 minutes on the treadmill. I am focusing on getting my recommended Protein intake and I have a shake every night (Premier Protein, 30 grams per shake). Doing a shake everyday takes the pressure off of trying to get 60-70 grams of protein daily from just food. Today I hit my halfway point... 71 pounds lost with 71 more to go!!! :) All we can do is keep swimming! Keep in touch and best of luck to you.