Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you determine your "goal weight"?

I originally set my goal at 145, thinking it would be a normal BMI. Then, I stopped losing at 165.I kept trying, but just couldn't lose. So, then I changed my goal to 155, and figured after plastic surgery I'd probably meet that goal. That's still a normal BMI for someone my age by some charts. So, I had 12 pounds of skin and fat removed and the scale has not budged. Still 165.

My surgeon did not set a goal, and said I'm good. My PCP called it good, and so did the plastic surgeon....and my family.....and my friends on BP....and yet I really struggled with the number. But, I've come to the conclusion that this probably IS it for me. I still have swelling from surgery, so maybe a little more will come off, but I'm not counting on it.

I didn't want to change the goal because I failed to meet it. However, I've shifted my thinking lately. I'm almost ready to call it a day and declare victory at 165, but I'm going to give it a little time while I wait for the swelling to subside. In the meantime, I think I look fine, and I am successful, despite my too high BMI. It's been quite a relief to just LET IT GO.

This question may seem a bit racist but, I'm just wondering....I feel like the BMI charts aren't really geared toward women of color. A "normal" weight for me (32, 5') is 96-127 or something like that. I have hips and a$$ and at 127 I would probably look crazy as hell....at 96, I would look like a bobble head crack head doll! I don't think it considers all that.....am I the only one who thinks about this?

This question may seem a bit racist but, I'm just wondering....I feel like the BMI charts aren't really geared toward women of color. A "normal" weight for me (32, 5') is 96-127 or something like that. I have hips and a$$ and at 127 I would probably look crazy as hell....at 96, I would look like a bobble head crack head doll! I don't think it considers all that.....am I the only one who thinks about this?

Hey! Women of color aren't the only ones with hips and a$$! Have you seen my gallery pics? :P

Hey! Women of color aren't the only ones with hips and a$$! Have you seen my gallery pics? :P

Very true!!! So my comment should actually refer to women with curves that didn't come from being fat! Lol!

I'm the same as you...5'0", I didn't pay much attention as the range always seems a bit drastic. I think age, curves and height should always factor in, you know what you should look like at a healthy weight.

179lb / 80kg would get me to a "normal" weight, but I doubt I'll be able to get there.

Neither my surgeon or dietitian mentioned a goal weight.

I'm also 5 ft even and my original goal was 130..but I think now 120...I want room if I gain...guess I'll see where my body wants to stop...

@@suesleeved - does this goal take into account any skin that you might/have had removed? Im 5ft also (46 years old) and my goal at this moment is to get down to 150 - was told when I get about there then I can get skin surgery...

Funny visual there, with the bobble head ;)

I have to agree that the BMI chart is not the be all, end all to determine a healthy weight, or even a weight that looks good for lots of people. I know muscular men who have no fat, are not muscle bound, and would be overweight by those charts. I just think science has a long way to go in the field of obesity, from diagnosis, to treatment. My problem is that I'm a nurse and was taught to use that BMI chart for a myriad of things, so unlearning it has been hard for me. I think it can be a quick reference, but we should consider other factors in determining our best, healthy weight.

You are absolutely right! The BMI chart was never intended to be the "one size fits all" tool that it is used for today. It was meant to be a very quick way for medical professionals to estimate what a healthy weight range would be for an individual, based on their height, but it was never meant to be the only tool used to determine what someone's healthy weight should be, because that is very individual. Those of us who are curvier in the butt, hips and thighs tend to be so because we carry more muscle there, not fat.

If you are truly concerned, once you get to a weight where you think you'd be happy at, have your body fat tested. I'll bet you'll be at a normal percentage, or close to it. My home scale estimates body fat, and I have been in a normal range since 155, even though according to BMI I need to lose 10 more pounds.

My doctor asked me what my goal weight was and I told him a weight that I have felt really happy with my body at in the past even though it is about 30 pounds heavier than any BMI chart. He said "Great! It's your body and we want you to be happy with it!" :) So 160 is my goal even though I'm only 5'2"

post-127909-14244530157454_thumb.jpg

I have shared this in the past and more recently on another thread. It might help you ladies.

I saw a formula where you start at 100 pounds for a 5' woman and add 5 pounds for every inch you are over 5'. So I'm 5'9". My goal weight is 145lbs. Just something I read.

I saw a formula where you start at 100 pounds for a 5' woman and add 5 pounds for every inch you are over 5'. So I'm 5'9". My goal weight is 145lbs. Just something I read.

I saw something like that in a magazine when I was a kid. It said add 5-7 pounds per inch over 5', so the range for me at 5'6" would be 130-142. That seems CRAZY low though. I would be more than happy to just get to a healthy BMI, below 155.