Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clock ticking on making goal?

I have seen a LOT of posts on here from vets talking about the "honeymoon" phase and how much harder it is to lose weight and keep it off after the first year post-op.

My weight loss has been pretty slow compared to a lot of (most?) people on this site. I was frustrated by that in the beginning, but I've embraced and accepted it for the most part these last 3 months or so.

Post-op I lost just shy of 15 pounds the first month, less than 9 pounds the second month, and I've been right around 6 pounds per month since then (looking to be about the same for February). I still have 37 pounds to lose to get to goal and I'm almost to 6 months out.

If I continue to lose about 6 pounds a month, I should reach my goal right at the 1 year mark. But it's probably unrealistic to believe my weight loss will continue at the same pace as I get closer to my goal, right? It's probably going to slow down in those final months.

So, my question is, should I be worried? If I don't get to goal by the time I'm a year out, is it going to be incredibly hard to get there ever?

My body seems just completely determined that I should only be losing 1.2-1.6 pounds per week. No matter what I do food and activity-wise, that is the range I lose in. Before Christmas I was a complete bum, not excising at all, not super careful about my food (had some Cookies and ice cream in there, still good on Protein though) and I was losing right at that pace. In mid January, I really stepped it up and got more diligent about my food and started working out 5 times a week and I've still kept losing at this exact same pace.

I'm honestly fine with the pace, as there are many advantages to losing slowly. I just don't want to run out of time with my "honeymoon" period and get to the point where I can't lose anymore before I get to my goal.

I think where we go wrong is by setting some type of deadline or projected timeframe on our own bodies. This issue follows along the same mindset some have of stalling. I too lose at a slower rate than many, but, I'm also sure that someone looking at my stats would think otherwise. Its all relative, because our journeys are so personal and different. I consciously decided early on that I wouldn't put stipulations on my journey because I don't want to set myself up for failure. I am choosing to believe that my body knows what it's doing and that as long as I follow the plan...things will work out.

Edited by ProjectMe

I am choosing to believe that my body knows what it's doing and that as long as I follow the plan...things will work out.

I want to believe that too, which is why I haven't been sweating the slow loss. It's just when I did the math in my head this morning and realized I'd be close to a year out for hitting goal that I started to worry, because I've seen SO MANY posts from vets talking about the honeymoon period and how you have to take advantage of it and lose all the weight then, because it gets so much harder after that.

@@JamieLogical

It may be hard. I would not worry. This is not easy and YES the farther out from surgery weight loss will slow down. Continue to work you're program. This will be a life long process even after goal. This is you're new life style and soooo worth it.

Time frames do not matter. A healthy you does!

Edited by jenn1

JamieLogical, I can't add my experience to help answer your question because I am new to this. Only 3 weeks out from surgery. But I do want to add that I've always enjoyed your posts. They are intelligently written and to the point. You actually responded to one of my questions earlier on and it really helped me. You seem to have a pretty good head on your shoulders and in my opinion will do fine with whatever this sleeve throws out at you. I seem to be loosing weight a lot slower than I expected (a phase in which I'm trying hard to get over) and I know you can relate. Good luck to you after the "honeymoon" phase!

@@JamieLogical

We are in the same boat. Same thing as you, upping my exercise and strength training at the end of December to hopefully move things along hasn't really changed the rate I'm losing, although I definitely have toned up some. I am 30 away from my goal, and although I'm hoping to lose it by my year date, I know at the rate I'm losing I may not. I've just made peace with the fact that I may have to work that much harder after to make sure I get there. Slow losers unite! ;)

It took me 14 months to reach my goal. I lost very well the last 3. I hit some doldrums about 7-8 months post op and it was recommitting to the basics that got me back on track. I found compliance at 14 months no more difficult than at say 10 months.

I think it is wise to recognize that it is good to "take advantage" of the early months and first year - as you definately have decreased hunger and capacity early on- BUT contrary to what you sometimes read, your surgey does not have an expiration date.

I promise you that if you keep "working the sleeve" you will do fine. I personally think putting too many time boxes on weight loss is part of my old "all or nothing - either on a diet or off" mindset that i don't subscribe to anymore. We are in this for a lifetime people - and maintenance isn't THAT different than losing except I certainly allow myself more restaurant meals, carbs etc.