Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheated every day of 7 day pre op diet

You did all of that and they still did surgery??? I don't buy it.

As long as I had money in my hand, that's all they needed to know. I didn't gain weight, I just didn't lose any

Pre diet? What's a pre diet? I was supposed to do a pre diet but threw that to the wind. I was a very bad gril, eating in n out, huge nachos, Olive Garden 4 course menu...I went to town. Really pissed off my nutritionist at day of surgery, but hell- I self paid ( what are the gonna do about it) problem is, after surgery I still have all the addictions. But in the end, I eat wayyy less, a bit healthier, and learning things as I go. I just started up tae Bo and am loving it. I am down 16 lbs since surgery. I've been on this site for a while, and there are a lot of judge mental pr@@@@ that 'never cheated' ...honestly, I don't buy it.

Why? It's possible. Personally I don't believe in cheat meals. Never have. I ate according to plan through all my post op phases. 2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks pureed and 2 weeks soft food. The liquid phase was hard, but I sucked it up and did it.

Now that I can eat whatever I tolerate I plan for sweets and thing. However I still maintain my protein/calorie goals. If I'm going to a party or event I base my days eating around it. If I want a piece of chocolate I plan for that. My goal is to eat balanced. There is no room for a cheating mentality. That doesn't make me perfect and I'm not trying to be.

I'd also like to say. Suggesting someone get therapy or counseling isn't intended to be judgmental. I noticed sometimes posters seem to get offended when others suggest that. It's just a matter of recognizing that sometimes people need a little extra help with getting in the right head space to be successful with WLS. If you are literally unable to stop yourself from eating what is not good for you, seeing a professional who may be able to help you develop new tools to do that isn't a ad thing.

Edited by BLERDgirl

@ You get out of this surgery what you put into it. It's great that you are being more active, but you will eventually have to deal with your food addiction as well. Just eating less won't be enough to be successful. You need to be eating the RIGHT things as well. Not 100% of the time, but a good majority of the time.

This forum is as good as therapy.. That is when people are helpful instead of using the 'you need therapy' crap responses. Get out of the 90s, therapy is a bunch of bull sh*t, group support- though, that can be helpful.

This forum is as good as therapy.. That is when people are helpful instead of using the 'you need therapy' crap responses. Get out of the 90s, therapy is a bunch of bull sh*t, group support- though, that can be helpful.

Sorry you feel this way. Even the most well intended support group is no replacement for a competent therapist.

Weird.

If one is going to go through the seriousness and uncomfortableness of any surgery it's important to follow the instructions of the medical team.

Sorry you feel this way. Even the most well intended support group is no replacement for a competent therapist.

Amen.

Edited by tomi71

I am guessing tons of PhDs, MDs, DOs, lic. therapist, the world over are just giddy about your research showing therapy is obsolete.

Let's put this back on the rails: I am grateful for all experiences because I choose to learn from them.

These boards are full of wonderful and kind human beings who are helping me every step of the way, whether they know it or not and for that I am grateful.

Edited by tomi71

I haven't done 1 minute of therapy to help with my food addictions. I read self help and bariatric books, did a lot of soul searching, read pretty much every thread ever posted on BP, and so far so good for me. I havent had any emotional traumas, I dont have body image issues, I've accepted the changes I've needed to make along the way, I've resisted temptation to go back to my old ways, and I have experienced what I consider complete success with my weight loss and new lifestyle so far. I did have enough sense, though, to follow my doctor's orders pre and postop to a T. Even after reaching and passing goal, I have done what I need to do to maintain my loss and stay healthy. I was also self pay so I didn't have any nut/psych requirements, but I sure as hell didn't spend every penny of my savings (plus some cc debt) to do this half assed.

I guess what I'm saying is for some people therapy certainly isn't necessary for success, but following certain criteria and making your own mental adjustments to this new life is. Especially in the long run.... It's easy to lose in the first 6-12 months. But Lack of commitment and failure to correct mental/emotional eating disorders will play a big role in what happens after that. Some people are able to do this on their own, but for those who can't, some form of support (group or private therapy) is necessary. The people that can't even see that they have issues with food are the ones that definitely won't make it. All you have to do is watch "my 600 pound life" to see how easy it is to fail.

Edited by Kindle

@@Kindle I agree that therapy is not needed for everyone going through WLS but for those who can't help themselves or correct what might be viewed as self destructive behaviors it can be a help. More importantly when a poster suggests someone who appears to be struggling that counseling might be helpful, the intent is not to judge or to be mean, rather it's a genuine attempt at help.

@@Kindle I agree that therapy is not needed for everyone going through WLS but for those who can't help themselves or correct what might be viewed as self destructive behaviors it can be a help. More importantly when a poster suggests someone who appears to be struggling that counseling might be helpful, the intent is not to judge or to be mean, rather it's a genuine attempt at help.

i absolutely agree and I am in no way discouraging anyone from seeking therapy if they need it. In every thread I've read, any suggestion for therapy does appear to be warranted. And I don't think any such advice is mean. I was just pointing out in my post that for some folks, therapy is not necessarily required to be a successful WLS patient. But obviously for others it is a must. Therapy, in whatever form, is simply another tool in our struggles that should be taken advantage of if and when needed.

I was only bringing up the therapy comment because I see it a lot in these treads..'get yourself some therapy' I just don't see that as a helpful response. In response to the pre op diet, yes- follow it. I wish I had taken it more seriously, I wish I had developed better habits before surgery, now I have to work my but off to lose weight.. I am doing strenuous cardio 4x a week just to be losing, and eating 800-900 calories at only 2 weeks out. Look at this as your golden opportunity to develop good eating habits so you won't have to exercise when still sore. Good luck

Wow...i think I'm going to apply the old saying i was taught.."If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all!" Very very hard...hummm (having technical difficulties after this winter storm not sure where this will end up )

I had food funerals so I could eat my favorites before I began. Not to beat you up, but if you can break through this pre-op, than you can be successful post-op. I guess for me, I knew that at 401 pounds, I was at my heaviest in my life. Disgusting.

Drink some broths for your savory craving, get some sugar free popsicles for your sweet cravings. Learn to make meals that are conducive to your taste buds. I got some extrants like caramel and hazelnut to put in my bariatric shakes. I fix Vietmanese Pho Soup and my spouse has decided to follow the same diet so I wouldn't do it alone. My kids and friends are motivated and supportive. My goal is 200 for now, docs say 178 but baby steps.

I'm 13 pounds down now and really don't feel hungry and I was addicted to food when I started.

We can do it. Today is a new day, start again, regardless of what happened yesterday. Get someone around you to hold you accountable for your diet. Leave your debit card at home if you are tempted to buy subway again. Go buy some success foods now. I made spaghetti and cornbread for my kids and was not tempted to eat any of it. Think about where you want to be in 10 years:

-Dead

-100 pounds heavier

-100 smaller

Update.....March 6th. I actually lost 25 pounds on the pre-op. It works if you stick with it!!!!! I am 1 week post-op and down 39 pounds.