Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheated every day of 7 day pre op diet

day #9 of liquid diet. still going strong!

@@BeautifullyCreated1982

i never doubted you for a minute!!! :)

going strong???

love it :)

your surgeon sounds good to me

helpful, informative, supportive too

what more could you ask??

hmmmm

surgery skills to match his qualities??!!

hopefully he will have brushed up on his expertise

the night before surgery :D

how many more days of liquid diet???

what is your new DOS??

keep up the good job :rolleyes:

i know you will

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

I start my liquid diet on 3/23. When I met with my NUT she said that you can have a piece of lean chicken one week and a piece of fish the second week. I also am allowed to have non-starchy vegetables if I get hungry. I'm planning to bring some raw veggies to work to help with the cravings. Good luck!

Guys..I've been doing well on my pre op diet but today I tried a new protien shake that was just the most most dreadful tasting one and I tried EVERYTHING to get the taste off my teeth but nothing helped. Not tooth paste, not extra strong broth. Nothing. And it made me so nauseous.

So. I ate a single piece of American cheese. I'm not going to ask if it's okay, because I feel so guilty. But..should I call my surgeon and tell him? Is it going to make it impossible or dangerous? I'm scared now.

One piece of cheese is not going to hurt anything. You realize people have surgery daily, with no pre-op diets. If you have basically followed your surgeon's instructions, you will be okay. I had a real rough time with my pre-op. Oddly enough, my liver isn't even remotely fatty. He said it was perfect. That being said, I do not advocate cheating, and have followed my post-op instructions to the letter. No nausea, no vomitting, no issues. Good luck everyone.

I called the surgery center anyway because I'm neurotic and paranoid. The doctor called me right back and said that it was okay to eat a piece of cheese or some small protien like an egg.

My surgery is Tuesday.

After surgery you won't tolerate any solids so if I were you for your health I would stick to your liquids! I'm 2 days post op and. Believe me I wouldn't be able to eat any amount of solids at this point I can barely tolerate the liquids :s

I actually laughed out loud when I read the title to this topic - because I thought the OP was trying to be lighthearted. I slipped up several times during my pre-op and chalked that up to "if I could follow a diet and lose weight, I probably wouldn't need surgery". For better or worse, all of us made the decision to have WLS b/c we knew that it was the only long term way to reach our goals. Why else would we expose ourselves to the risks of surgery, complications from surgery, lifetime reliance on Vitamins, huge financial hardship (my insurance didn't cover it), etc. Yes, of course we want to follow our doctor's orders to the letter, and yes I'm positive OP did this to better his/her life. I'm also positive that we are human and prone to weakness (and mistakes).

I'm disappointed with some of the mean-spirited responses, and I'm encouraged by some of the helpful ones. As long as you have the desire to get healthy, it will happen. The sleeve will help you along the way, and will prevent you from making some of these mistakes in the future!

Guys..I've been doing well on my pre op diet but today I tried a new protien shake that was just the most most dreadful tasting one and I tried EVERYTHING to get the taste off my teeth but nothing helped. Not tooth paste, not extra strong broth. Nothing. And it made me so nauseous.

So. I ate a single piece of American cheese. I'm not going to ask if it's okay, because I feel so guilty. But..should I call my surgeon and tell him? Is it going to make it impossible or dangerous? I'm scared now.

I ate "food" all through my pre op. My surgeon said it just had to be less than 800 calories a day. So I stuck to slim fast, low fat Soup, quorn fillets, yogurt, and one day I had 2 eggs and mushrooms, another I had a banana.< /p>

I did that for 9 days, lost 8lbs, and surgeon said my liver was perfect.

I started 229, now 221, I'm 5'3.

Please try not to worry. :-)

The sleeve will help you along the way, and will prevent you from making some of these mistakes in the future!

The sleeve will NOT prevent you from eating the wrong things every day. The OP has seen the error of his/her ways, rescheduled surgery, and stuck to the pre-op diet since making the original post.

I don't think any of us expect someone to be perfect 100% of the time, but if someone is cheating EVERY DAY of their pre-op diet, that is a legitimate reason to question whether or not they are ready for this surgery. It requires you to stick to a specific diet for a LONG time post-op. Cheating post-op can have serious consequences if it means eating solids too early or doing other things that could affect your sleeve's ability to heal.

And even once the sleeve is healed, not having the discipline to eat the right things can slow/halt your weight loss or even contribute to regain. Do you have to be perfect 100% of the time once you're healed? Of course not. Will you have to make good choices every single day? YES. You need only watch a couple episodes of My 600 Pound Life or read some of the posts on the veterans forums here to find out how easy it can be to fall back into bad habits and regain weight.

The sleeve is a tool, it's not a fix. It does nothing to resolve your emotional and psychological issues. If you don't get your mind right before the surgery, you are going to be confronted with some very harsh realities post-op.

Since this topic seems to have gotten back on the rails, I thought I would add my story (which is meant to be lighthearted). My surgery was on 9/16/14 and I was supposed to go on a Protein Shake only diet for 2 weeks before, but I actually started on 9/1. I was so good the whole time, except the NIGHT BEFORE my surgery! At approximately 6pm on surgery eve, I ate a chicken WING! I don't know why I did it, I guess I just saw it there, had a momentary brain lapse, and ate it. I felt so guilty.

The worst part is that the next morning when they were prepping me for surgery, they asked me when the last time I ate solid food was and I lied! Terrible terrible - don't do that! I was so stressed out about this that the first thing I said when I woke up from anesthesia was "did I get the surgery done?" and they laughed at me and said, "yes, you had the surgery." I was so afraid that he would open me up, see a large liver, and close me right back up. As a matter of fact, he said my liver was very small and looked great (I specifically asked the surgeon about my liver, but never confessed the "chicken wing incident").

So my point is that no one's perfect and we all screw up - there's a reason why we are on this board. The thing I am working on is not letting food rule my life. Stressing and pining over every bite you eat is just as mentally dangerous as binge eating. Somehow we all have to learn how to make life be the center of life, not food. The surgery actually helps with this because it does take a lot of the pleasure out of eating, but it still doesn't fix all problems surrounding food.

Since this topic seems to have gotten back on the rails, I thought I would add my story (which is meant to be lighthearted). My surgery was on 9/16/14 and I was supposed to go on a Protein Shake only diet for 2 weeks before, but I actually started on 9/1. I was so good the whole time, except the NIGHT BEFORE my surgery! At approximately 6pm on surgery eve, I ate a chicken WING! I don't know why I did it, I guess I just saw it there, had a momentary brain lapse, and ate it. I felt so guilty.

The worst part is that the next morning when they were prepping me for surgery, they asked me when the last time I ate solid food was and I lied! Terrible terrible - don't do that! I was so stressed out about this that the first thing I said when I woke up from anesthesia was "did I get the surgery done?" and they laughed at me and said, "yes, you had the surgery." I was so afraid that he would open me up, see a large liver, and close me right back up. As a matter of fact, he said my liver was very small and looked great (I specifically asked the surgeon about my liver, but never confessed the "chicken wing incident").

So my point is that no one's perfect and we all screw up - there's a reason why we are on this board. The thing I am working on is not letting food rule my life. Stressing and pining over every bite you eat is just as mentally dangerous as binge eating. Somehow we all have to learn how to make life be the center of life, not food. The surgery actually helps with this because it does take a lot of the pleasure out of eating, but it still doesn't fix all problems surrounding food.

Hahaha, that sounds like me! I had a hysterectomy about 11 years ago and the day of, after being on a 48-hour clear liquid diet and doing a bowel cleanse, I took a sip of coffee. I freaking could not help it.

I had such bad anxiety that I'd die under anesthesia or they'd smell coffee when I got to the hospital. That anxiety didn't leave until they gave me some very nice sedatives while being prepped to go into the OR. At that point any guilt I had was loooooong forgotten. Lol

All worked out but I definitely don't make a habit of it. I behaved after that with any subsequent surgeries.

Pre diet? What's a pre diet? I was supposed to do a pre diet but threw that to the wind. I was a very bad gril, eating in n out, huge nachos, Olive Garden 4 course menu...I went to town. Really pissed off my nutritionist at day of surgery, but hell- I self paid ( what are the gonna do about it) problem is, after surgery I still have all the addictions. But in the end, I eat wayyy less, a bit healthier, and learning things as I go. I just started up tae Bo and am loving it. I am down 16 lbs since surgery. I've been on this site for a while, and there are a lot of judge mental pr@@@@ that 'never cheated' ...honestly, I don't buy it.

You did all of that and they still did surgery??? I don't buy it.

I only lost 2 pounds post op..because I gained 10 on prednisone due to bronchitis. So while it was actually an12 pound loss, as far as the surgeon was concerned, it was 2. They still did surgery, and my liver was "absolutely perfect," quote from my doc. They will still do the surgery, unless your insurance specifies no gain.