Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheated every day of 7 day pre op diet

What @@LipstickLady said.

@@BeautifullyCreated1982 ... My first three days were the toughest (I had a 14-day pre-op diet). But thereafter, things got easier. I hope yours goes that way.

So impressive, what you are doing!

cheating is almost inevitable, kind of. i mean i cheated yesteday, in a way i had one m and M , now as opposed to having a whole bag etc. but i felt bad about it after. now in the grand sceme of weight loss is one solitary m and m going to matter? maybe not, but if i weaken for one m and m now wil i weaken for two later and then 5 etc until its back up to just one bag, etc. SO i suggest using all the strength you have to get at least one day under your belt with no cheating just so you know you can do it. It s one day at atime after all, if you can do one day then two is just stringing together two, of those one days.

You Can Do This!

just as an FYI, i had nothing to do with exploding this post..it was not my fault... this time. :D

My Dr said that I only have to do 2 days soft diet and 2 days liquid diet. By no means should you go by this but it is my instructions.. Going from being a compulsive eater to such a harsh diet is hard. If it was easy none of us would need weight loss surgery. Don't be hard on yourself, you got this!

Day 2 and I stuck to it! Hard, but I did it!

Yay! So glad for you. Keep it up!!!!

I cringe every time I see a newbie post a confession to a bariatric mis-step. Responses come back in three types:

1. Veterans tend to be harsher because they have walked that road with either more or less success, but want you to be successful by being strong. They will encourage you to do whatever you have to do to comply with the program that your individual bariatric team has given to you. On more than one occassion I have been called a goody two-shoes for attempting to be compliant.

2. Recent post-ops who have endured the pre-op and are now pushing through post-op adjustments to their surgery. Their responses tend to be more flexible because their daily struggle is still painfully fresh. Their response is more like "There, there there.....you messed up but you will be all right if you get back on track tomorrow morning".

3. The third typical response is from other newbies and pre-ops. It's the standard "You just don't understand. I thought this site was for support, and here go the veterans beating people up again."

If you stay on this site long enough, you will see the pattern. All three responses ARE supportive in their own way. We veterans always want those who follow us to do well. If you come onto this site understanding that opinions and tact will vary, it will be easier to choke down the variety of responses that you get.

My walk is not the same as anyone else's. I was 62 when I had my surgery. You may be 22 39, 44, 51, 68, or even older. I am 5'4". You may be a little person or 6'10. My weight was 235, mostly it was like wearing a pony for a belt. You weight may be in your butt your thighs or evenly distributed, but excessive. I am retired with a supportive companion in the house, but no tots, tweens, teenagers, or toxic relatives to influence my food choices.

But I am a domestic violence survivor and eight years ago escaped from ten years of rural isolation with an eventually diagnosed sociopath. If I had decided to have my bariatric surgery in 2000 instead of 2013, my own experience, personality, surgery type would have been different with a non-existant support system.

So, my approach to someone with a combative spouse who sabotages every effort you make is going to be to get away and do your own thing. Someone who is in a conservative church environment is going to advise you to stay and pray.

What I am trying to say is that we don't need to be combative and defensive with each other. Support comes in many flavors, and we need to respect that. My personal advice to he original poster is to forgive yourself and determine that you will be in control of this process. Eliminate your excuses one by one. You have to think differently to feel differently.

If your excuse is that you don't have the right food in the house - get the right food in the house. If your excuse is that you have to cook for the family, then it's time to introduce your family to outstanding nutrition. If you set your specialized foods in the fridge and others nab it, then you are going to have to establish personal space in the fridge with consequences for invasion. Your kitchen is a restaurant - closed after dinner.

This whole process is indeed a head game. Your doctor has established the rules. Think of it ths way: You can't play basketball with a football. Yes you can throw it and pass it and put it in the basket it, but it sure won't bounce. You can only fudge on this process for so long before it just won't work for you. That is not being mean..... it is being realistic.

Some doctors don't check your liver before surgery. Mine did. I had to have an ultrasound before he would operate. Some doctors will open you up and close you right back if you liver is too big and can get nicked or damaged in the process of bariatric surgery.

For me, the pre-op diet was the hardest part because I was still living with a full-sized stomach. I did stay on plan, but I sure did not like it. On the second day I was ready to eat my fingers. By the end of the third day it got a little easier. So, my suggestion is to take this one day at a time. Think of it as a three day liquid diet four times.

The doctor's plans vary so widely. My liquid diet was ten days and I went to full liquids as soon as I got home and was eating regular food at one month. Other surgeons realllllllly stretch it out. But the reason is the same. Bariatric surgery brutalizes your digestive system and it frankly needs time to recover to reduce the possibility of avoidable complications.

You can do this. As a veteran, I am rooting for you. I wish you good luck and good health.

OOPS! I don't mean you may be 2239. My comma disappeared. I hate typos and haven't figurd out how to access spellcheck on this site. 22, 39,

I'm on day 2 today too! It's hard! My surgery is 27th feb :-)

just as an FYI, i had nothing to do with exploding this post..it was not my fault... this time. :D

Lol.

My Dr said that I only have to do 2 days soft diet and 2 days liquid diet. By no means should you go by this but it is my instructions.. Going from being a compulsive eater to such a harsh diet is hard. If it was easy none of us would need weight loss surgery. Don't be hard on yourself, you got this!

Amen to that!

@BeatifullyCreated1982 Congrats! You have proved to yourself that you can do it :-)

Edited by minniegirl

End of day#3 all liquids! Did it again... trying to go 14 days

I think you got this! It gets a little easier after the first few days.

I am not looking forward to 2 weeks of liquids pre-op either. I just keep thinking of what my surgeon said and that's the better we stick to the plan the easier the surgery will be! Good luck.

Congratulations, kiddo.

Good for you. I hope the rest of this phase goes easier, as it did for me after Day Three.

I just fantasized my brains out during that phase -- imagining how much better everything would be a year later. During the pre-op, I was soooo ready to get the show on the road.

And what's really wild is how fast the last 6 (post-op) months have gone. I can hardly believe how much has changed for me. And all good.