Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheated every day of 7 day pre op diet

I cheated as well up until two days before. .not saying it's ok...but that was the very reason why I had the surgery a tool to help me control my eating..just do not eat any solid foods these last two days...because I have heard that if there is solids in your tummy that some doctors will not complete the surgery! Good luck to you and I pray all goes well!

If it were so easy to "just do it" all of us would have lost the weight without surgery. Most of us also spend a lot of time beating ourselves up over our weight, so cut yourself some slack and treat yourself with kindness and empathy. I think it would be wise to talk to your NUT and/or a therapist about strategies to help you, but I wouldn't give up!

Wishing you peace and success!!!

I think you will be ok. My dr doesn't put anyone one on a pre op diet until day before. food addiction is why we are here, why we need a sleeve to restrict what we can't do on our own. Just try to adhere by the post op diet as your belly will need to heal...I think this part will be the time to really follow your drs advice.

I cheated as well up until two days before. .not saying it's ok...but that was the very reason why I had the surgery a tool to help me control my eating..just do not eat any solid foods these last two days...because I have heard that if there is solids in your tummy that some doctors will not complete the surgery! Good luck to you and I pray all goes well!

Thanks, it's good to see that someone can relate. Alot of people are saying that I must not want it bad enough. Def NOT true. This week I was on my period and when that happens my urge for sweets and fatty foods increases tremendously on top of extreme hunger, and when I go long periods without eating (liquid diet) eventually I want to binge.

Can you tell me if you delayed your surgery because of not adhering to it the entire time? Or did you still have surgery as scheduled and did the Doc have a difficult time? I would love to know thanks!

If it were so easy to "just do it" all of us would have lost the weight without surgery. Most of us also spend a lot of time beating ourselves up over our weight, so cut yourself some slack and treat yourself with kindness and empathy. I think it would be wise to talk to your NUT and/or a therapist about strategies to help you, but I wouldn't give up!

Wishing you peace and success!!!

Thank you. You are right. I have been struggling with food for years. This liquid diet was challenging because I started my period on the same day! Go figure. When I'm on my period my cravings for sweets and fatty foods sky rocket. So hard! But I'm gonna be honest with my Doc. and perhaps try again. So far so good today.

I don't think it is fair to question someone's motivation because they are having a hard time. I bet there is not one single one of you who has done every single step of this journey perfectly. You may be struggling post op with getting your Water or Protein down...why can't you 'just do it'? You don't really want it. You may have struggled pre-op with cutting negative people out of your life. Why can't you 'just do it'? You must not have really wanted it. Every person is different and just because you overcame a particular part of the puzzle does not mean other people who struggle with that particular issue is unmotivated and isn't ready.

Every single one of us is here because we have been unable to control our relationship with food.

Let she/he who be without sin cast the first stone.

The human body is designed to eat solid foods for energy. To tell someone who struggled with a liquid-only diet that she must not want it badly enough since she ate solid food isn't really fair, IMO. In addition to struggling with an addiction, we're also battling what comes naturally to the human body, which is to EAT. I haven't gotten to my pre-op diet yet, but I imagine it's going to be one of the hardest things I've ever done.

Edited by Garifab_VSG

I don't think it is fair to question someone's motivation because they are having a hard time. I bet there is not one single one of you who has done every single step of this journey perfectly. You may be struggling post op with getting your Water or Protein down...why can't you 'just do it'? You don't really want it. You may have struggled pre-op with cutting negative people out of your life. Why can't you 'just do it'? You must not have really wanted it. Every person is different and just because you overcame a particular part of the puzzle does not mean other people who struggle with that particular issue is unmotivated and isn't ready.

Every single one of us is here because we have been unable to control our relationship with food.< /p>

Let she/he who be without sin cast the first stone.

Well said thank you! God knows I'm flawed and have struggles, but HE has not given up on me or anyone else for that matter.

Sorry some of you didn't appreciate some of the truthful "tough love" comments on here. I expressed my concerns as someone who has gone through this. 16 days of a liquid preop followed by another 18 days liquid postop and 22 additional days with a restricted diet. That's almost 2 months of following my doctor's orders to a T and not cheating even one single time. My preop was over Christmas with lots of holiday parties loaded with food and drinks and sweets. But I sat there and drank my Protein shakes and Water because I was committed to this surgery and everything that goes along with it, including fighting head hunger.

My post was meant to help the OP realize that while preop is hard, it's nothing compared to the years of temptation she has in front of her. If one week of saying no to sweets is too much to handle when her medical safety is at stake, she has a long, hard road in front of her once she is healed unless she gets help with her addiction (and yes, not being able to stop a behavior despite its negative impact is an addiction). This surgery is not a miracle and the physical restriction will not change what she chooses to eat. I'm 14 months out and believe me, the head games we play with food never end.

I had food funerals so I could eat my favorites before I began. Not to beat you up, but if you can break through this pre-op, than you can be successful post-op. I guess for me, I knew that at 401 pounds, I was at my heaviest in my life. Disgusting.

Drink some broths for your savory craving, get some sugar free popsicles for your sweet cravings. Learn to make meals that are conducive to your taste buds. I got some extrants like caramel and hazelnut to put in my bariatric shakes. I fix Vietmanese Pho Soup and my spouse has decided to follow the same diet so I wouldn't do it alone. My kids and friends are motivated and supportive. My goal is 200 for now, docs say 178 but baby steps.

I'm 13 pounds down now and really don't feel hungry and I was addicted to food when I started.

We can do it. Today is a new day, start again, regardless of what happened yesterday. Get someone around you to hold you accountable for your diet. Leave your debit card at home if you are tempted to buy subway again. Go buy some success foods now. I made spaghetti and cornbread for my kids and was not tempted to eat any of it. Think about where you want to be in 10 years:

-Dead

-100 pounds heavier

-100 smaller

Edited by Airplaneskinny

This ain't a magical journey. Wanting it ain't enough.

You have to actually do it.

It's not?? I do??

Darn it! *Kicks dirt, walks away*

Edited by Babbs

I wish I was perfect, but sadly, I am not. I have cheated on my pre-op. I have a pretty hectic life..kids, babies are sometimes unpredictable, sometimes I find myself in situations where I haven't eaten enough due to being out running kid/family errands. What happens then, is that I am starving in the evening. I do my best to go with Protein, but sometimes, I slip up. I imagine it will happen post op too. I have myself set up for success, but life happens, I refuse to fall apart, or call myself, or anyone else, a failure for being human. The best we can do is pick ourselves up, and try again. This is not an easy fix, and I am sure as shit not giving up because I slipped up.

To my mind, the real issue in this thread is not about being perfect. It's about taking personal responsibility for your behavior -- instead of blaming the cat, your period, your kid, or your boss for making you eat food you didn't "mean to eat."

A lot of very experienced, very smart vets used to post on BP. Here's a thread some of you would benefit from reading.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/292173-you-should-not-consider-bariatric-surgery-if/page-2

Edited by VSGAnn2014

On one of my many attempts at Weight Watchers, I had a wonderful coach who was teaching a class once say "Just because you broke one dish unloading the dishwasher, doesn't mean you have to break the rest"

Move on, and start over. Look deep inside yourself to understand the reasons you don't feel completely committed at this point. I'm not one to judge about how well I did or didn't do during the pre op, because I did not have the pre op liquid diet (thank goodness). I can tell you I had a "food funeral" before surgery, and it didn't make me any less committed to the post surgery diet once I had it. Because of GERD complications, I was on 6 weeks of liquids afterwords, but I knew it was for my own good at the time so I didn't stray from it. I am also pretty much a stickler to the program to this day ( I'm proud to say). I don't really think it's fair to question her commitment to the program based on the pre op diet. But that's like, my opinion, man.

Oh, I almost forgot! PLEASE PLEASE read "The Emotional First Aid Kit" by Cynthia Alexander. I am half way through it and don't know how I was getting through this before I read it. Should be must reading for any pre op and post op WLS patient!

Edited by Babbs