Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheated every day of 7 day pre op diet

On one of my many attempts at Weight Watchers, I had a wonderful coach who was teaching a class once say "Just because you broke one dish unloading the dishwasher, doesn't mean you have to break the rest"

Move on, and start over. Look deep inside yourself to understand the reasons you don't feel completely committed at this point. I'm not one to judge about how well I did or didn't do during the pre op, because I did not have the pre op liquid diet (thank goodness). I can tell you I had a "food funeral" before surgery, and it didn't make me any less committed to the post surgery diet once I had it. Because of GERD complications, I was on 6 weeks of liquids afterwords, but I knew it was for my own good at the time so I didn't stray from it. I am also pretty much a stickler to the program to this day ( I'm proud to say). I don't really think it's fair to question her commitment to the program based on the pre op diet. But that's like, my opinion, man.

Oh, I almost forgot! PLEASE PLEASE read "The Emotional First Aid Kit" by Cynthia Alexander. I am half way through it and don't know how I was getting through this before I read it. Should be must reading for any pre op and post op WLS patient!

Thanks. I'll have to take a look at that book. Gonna look it up on Amazon. Today is better than yesterday.

To my mind, the real issue in this thread is not about being perfect. It's about taking personal responsibility for your behavior -- instead of blaming the cat, your period, your kid, or your boss for making you eat food you didn't "mean to eat."

A lot of very experienced, very smart vets used to post on BP. Here's a thread some of you would benefit from reading.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/292173-you-should-not-consider-bariatric-surgery-if/page-2

Gotta agree with this

You have problems now with period mood swings and sweets cravings, and responsibilities that keep you running all day. None of this will change after surgery. Sure, your stomach will be smaller but what you put in it and when becomes critical to your health and long term success.

You'll have sweets cravings with your period. How will you deal with that? You're rushing all day. How will you deal with that?

Excuses aren't reasons. You have to own the behavior before you can change it. Why were you not able to adhere to your preop diet? What are the challenges you are facing? Most importantly how do you plan to change your behaviors for post op success?

My surgeon says "I operated on your stomach, not your brain".

One thing I notice about most posters that write they aren't sticking to their plan, is that they haven't taken ownership of it and realize it is THEIR plan, meaning, yeah the doctor wants you on it to lower the fat in your liver, but you have chose to take this road, their plan is now YOUR plan. You have decided to do this, so as the NIKE slogan, "Just Do It!"

I have mixed feelings on this. My surgeon had a 1 week liquid diet for everyone pre-op. I can honestly say I didn't "cheat" once. However, I am not sure that I would have followed one of the plans that was 2, 3, or even 4 weeks.

After doing my own research (and with my normal lab values), I was willing to do the one week. There does not seem to be any medical indication for a longer liquid diet for everyone and some surgeons don't do a liquid diet at all and just stress lean Protein. Some people will say that if you don't agree you can see another surgeon, but that is not really realistic. After going through the whole program why would someone switch because they disagree with the pre-op diet?

So, my advice (based on my opinion)? If the pre-op phase seems excessive, then ask the physician why and ask them to relate it specifically to your medical condition. There may be bonafide reasons but you won't know if you don't ask. Second, do the best you can and get back on track if you fail. Third, for the two days before surgery, use duct tape if you have to, but follow the plan exactly!

Good Luck!

Edited by samuelsmom

"Oh, I almost forgot! PLEASE PLEASE read "The Emotional First Aid Kit" by Cynthia Alexander. I am half way through it and don't know how I was getting through this before I read it. Should be must reading for any pre op and post op WLS patient!"

Ditto! I read it before surgery and reread parts once I was in maintenance, just to keep my head in the game.

@@Kindle Maybe you didn't cheat once on you're pre-op diet. Great for you! But what about all the other pieces of the puzzle? Perhaps you are one of the blessed ones who never had a problem with anything in your life. Then why are you here? What did you struggle with? Are you so perfect that you are the person in this world who has the right to dish out tough love to another? I don't know you...but I know that you are human. And as a human....you messed up....you failed...you tried your best and you fell down flat on your face! I know this because you are here. You followed your doctors orders to a T? Well, then why couldn't you follow a diet to a T? You needed help, just like the OP. Who are you to dish out 'tough love'? Who are you to judge?

@ I completely agree with @@Kindle I chose to embrace the bariatric lifestyle 6 months prior to having surgery, then followed my surgeon's required 2 week PreOp liquid diet, then the 2 week PostOp liquid diet then the rest of the PostOp stages without cheating. So while I do not think I am perfect, and yes, realize that I have issues that let my weight get out of control in the first place, I also believe that this journey sometimes requires personal responsibility and tough love. I wouldn't have become an all American athlete without it. And I certainly wouldn't be where I am today with my degrees, my job, or my health without someone telling me straight up to take responsibility for my actions at some point in my life. So I have no problem paying my version of tough love forward in the hopes that it helps someone else.

Edited by ProjectMe

@@Kindle Maybe you didn't cheat once on you're pre-op diet. Great for you! But what about all the other pieces of the puzzle? Perhaps you are one of the blessed ones who never had a problem with anything in your life. Then why are you here? What did you struggle with? Are you so perfect that you are the person in this world who has the right to dish out tough love to another? I don't know you...but I know that you are human. And as a human....you messed up....you failed...you tried your best and you fell down flat on your face! I know this because you are here. You followed your doctors orders to a T? Well, then why couldn't you follow a diet to a T? You needed help, just like the OP. Who are you to dish out 'tough love'? Who are you to judge?

What is it about this conversation that has you bent out of shape?

Seriously ... why do you object to others making judgments / evaluations / expressing their opinions here?

It's what we get to do.

I assume you know that not everybody wins this game, right? Not everyone who has WLS loses their weight and, of those who do, not all of those maintain their weight losses. It's hard as hell to win this game. And the sleeve alone doesn't save any of us. It's the NEW (not old) behaviors we build and our determination that will make the real difference.

That's where the tough love comes from.

Kindle is someone who's lost the weight, is maintaining her weight, and (if you knew more about Kindle, you'd know that she ... ) has had her share of health challenges since WLS and overcame those challenges. She is exactly the kind of person whose judgment you and I should be respectful of and listen to, whether we agree with her or not.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

Thanks, it's good to see that someone can relate. Alot of people are saying that I must not want it bad enough. Def NOT true. This week I was on my period and when that happens my urge for sweets and fatty foods increases tremendously on top of extreme hunger, and when I go long periods without eating (liquid diet) eventually I want to binge.

Can you tell me if you delayed your surgery because of not adhering to it the entire time? Or did you still have surgery as scheduled and did the Doc have a difficult time? I would love to know thanks!

I am so sorry i did not see this...hope you had the surgery anyway... I did not delay my surgery I just did what I was supposed to do for those two days...EVERYTHING WENT GREAT. I had my gallbladder out as well.. I am two months out and 41 pounds down...your new tummy reminds you of how you need to control yourself! I have made such better decisions since my surgery! Don't beat yourself up about mistakes you make just keep going and eventually you will get it right. Your new tummy will not let you go overboard anyway. ..THE REASON FOR WLS!!

Kindle is someone who's lost the weight, is maintaining her weight, and (if you knew more about Kindle, you'd know that she ... ) has had her share of health challenges since WLS and overcame those challenges. She is exactly the kind of person whose judgment you and I should be respectful of and listen to, whether we agree with her or not.

Well said!

It is a reality that having WLS is a lifelong commitment. In order to be successful, you have to follow the rules and stick to the plan. The sleeve only prevents you from overeating in a single sitting. It does NOTHING to dictate what foods you eat, stop you from grazing, or stop you from drinking your calories. It still requires a huge amount of discipline and self control. The psychological component needs to be addressed or the OP will run into similar issues post-op as she has with the pre-op diet.

And before anyone asks me "if you're so perfect, why did you need WLS", the truth is that I was able to be perfect for LONG stretches of time in the past. I've lost hundreds of pounds on my own over the years. But it always eventually ended. I had this mentality that I could be "done" with my past diets. I can never be "done" with the sleeve. It's this simple fact that has allowed me to change my mentality this time around. My sleeve is for life. If I don't prioritize Protein, I can get sick, lose my hair, etc. There are very real and believable consequences if I mess up. It's not about weight anymore, it truly is about my health. When I was heavy before, I had a nebulous "this could be bad for my health" idea, but nothing that was an immediate threat. Now my immediate health is dependent upon my making the right decisions every day.

I should have added, not being prepared when out running around is my fault. My obesity, while having a genetic component..is also my fault. I take full responsibility for my behavior, and actions. My point is, we are all human, and do make mistakess

@@VSGAnn2014 You have misunderstood me 100%. I am not upset nor bent out of shape. Neither you nor Kindle have been 100 compliant in every step of the way. Kindle may have lost the weight but even without knowing her, I know that she screwed up. I know that she did not comply with every step of what she was 'supposed' to do every step of the way. And I can tell you VSGAnn2014, that neither did YOU! As I said before...Let she/he who be without sin cast the first stone.

One thing I notice about most posters that write they aren't sticking to their plan, is that they haven't taken ownership of it and realize it is THEIR plan, meaning, yeah the doctor wants you on it to lower the fat in your liver, but you have chose to take this road, their plan is now YOUR plan. You have decided to do this, so as the NIKE slogan, "Just Do It!"

I have mixed feelings on this. My surgeon had a 1 week liquid diet for everyone pre-op. I can honestly say I didn't "cheat" once. However, I am not sure that I would have followed one of the plans that was 2, 3, or even 4 weeks.

After doing my own research (and with my normal lab values), I was willing to do the one week. There does not seem to be any medical indication for a longer liquid diet for everyone and some surgeons don't do a liquid diet at all and just stress lean Protein. Some people will say that if you don't agree you can see another surgeon, but that is not really realistic. After going through the whole program why would someone switch because they disagree with the pre-op diet?

So, my advice (based on my opinion)? If the pre-op phase seems excessive, then ask the physician why and ask them to relate it specifically to your medical condition. There may be bonafide reasons but you won't know if you don't ask. Second, do the best you can and get back on track if you fail. Third, for the two days before surgery, use duct tape if you have to, but follow the plan exactly!

Good Luck!

I so agree! hang in there!

Let she/he who be without sin cast the first stone.

Kindle wasn't casting stones. She was suggesting that OP get help for her obvious emotional issues that have led to her non-compliance.... How does the suggestion to seek help come off as an attack in your eyes?

@@ProjectMe You have degrees, am I supposed to be impressed? You are an all American...do you think that makes you some kind of expert?, you would not have mentioned them if you did not think so. Then why were you fat? You were a FAT woman, It was because you did not do everything right. You had struggles...YOU fell flat on your face and YOU screwed up. OP has her issues..I am sure that not everyone told you what a total f**k up you were. I am sure there were those who stayed in your corner and who accepted you and held your hand when the chips were down. I think that in this world of fat degradation, everyone gets as much tough love as they can handle. You may have overcome you FAT issues and paid your FAT knowledge forward. Now you are some kind of expert on who needs your FAT tough love?

Edited by InItToWinIt2015

@@VSGAnn2014 You have misunderstood me 100%. I am not upset nor bent out of shape. Neither you nor Kindle have been 100 compliant in every step of the way. Kindle may have lost the weight but even without knowing her, I know that she screwed up. I know that she did not comply with every step of what she was 'supposed' to do every step of the way. And I can tell you VSGAnn2014, that neither did YOU! As I said before...Let she/he who be without sin cast the first stone.

Oh my...How do you know this? Why would you even say this? We're on the Internet. You have no clue what anyone has or has not done. You are making some strange allegations and assumptions. Basically, we must take folks at their word otherwise What's The Point ?!?! of support boards. I'm going to let this thread go, because quite frankly, it's gotten totally weird.