Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am gonna get one for 12 hrs...looking forward to it so I won't have to get up every 5 seconds to pee. That's gonna decrease my pain a lot lol

I hope I dont need a cath. I always get a bad uti right after. :(

I didn't have a catheter with my first lap-band surgery, and I was really wishing I had one. Since I had an IV, I had to get up every 10-15 minutes to pee (I spent the night), and it was a whole ordeal because they had me hooked up to the leg pump things. I had to call a nurse every time I had to get up, and wait for her to come unhook me before I could get up. When I had my Tummy Tuck and breast lift, I was in the hospital for two nights, and I had a catheter for at least the first night and the day after. It was so wonderful not to have to worry about getting up! They placed it after I was out in the operating room, and I didn't experience any discomfort from it at all, not even when they removed it.

My surgeon said he doesn't use them (or drains) because he wants you up and about asap after surgery. So they're obviously not compulsory, is what I mean.

I deleted my post. Didn't want to come across as not being supportive. Best of luck!

Edited by SandyS

It would probably be better for you to advocate no catheters. A Suprapubic catheter is usually meant for long term use. I would recommend discussing it with your surgeon- you could possibly do prophy antibiotics if your worried about UTI's-- though Suprapubic catchers can cause UTI's too.... Good luck whatever you decide!

Were you able to talk to your doc since you initially posted? My thought is hopefully your doc just decides to not use one at all. Tell him that you will not consent for one and that if he deemed it absolutely necessary that they would have to do a supra...hopefully that alone will have him make an exception for you. Because I may be wrong, I don't work in OR but I'm thinking they might have to have radiology for that? Also, if you're doing your procedure through a hospital there is a patient advocate you could start with. but I recall when I went through Admissions is when I consented to different things such as catheters etc so that would be a back up? Eh not great of a help I know but I'd definitely start with Patient Advocate. They're there to help with things like that. They could help guide you on getting the supra. ;)

I see my Surgeon for my 2nd visit pre surgery on the 23rd of this m 45nth I will Definitely be going over all of this with him hopefully I will come back with good news *

I deleted my post. Didn't want to come across as not being supportive. Best of luck!

Thats ok. I'm sorry if I came across as a bit aggressive. I've just been having people respond that way in my RL so much that seeing it online, too, really frustrated and upset me.

I wasn't necessarily angry, it was just a 'wtf' situation. Thats all.

I mean, when you keep going to people with a decision you've made or the like and you keep getting people not addressing your question.

It had more to do with frequently getting the same responses then anyone in particular.

Thanks for understanding, though, I really appreciate that. :-)

Were you able to talk to your doc since you initially posted? My thought is hopefully your doc just decides to not use one at all. Tell him that you will not consent for one and that if he deemed it absolutely necessary that they would have to do a supra...hopefully that alone will have him make an exception for you. Because I may be wrong, I don't work in OR but I'm thinking they might have to have radiology for that? Also, if you're doing your procedure through a hospital there is a patient advocate you could start with. but I recall when I went through Admissions is when I consented to different things such as catheters etc so that would be a back up? Eh not great of a help I know but I'd definitely start with Patient Advocate. They're there to help with things like that. They could help guide you on getting the supra. ;)

Yes, I did, happily.

I told them straight up I would not consent to a urinary catheter and he said it was alright and we'd discuss it more closer to surgery when we talk about all the other specifics of my care.

So, I'm going to bring it back up then. :-)

I see my Surgeon for my 2nd visit pre surgery on the 23rd of this m 45nth I will Definitely be going over all of this with him hopefully I will come back with good news *

Thanks! Are you hoping for no caths as well?

Personally I loved my cath!!! Made my life so much easier that first day post-op. But that's just me. Had so many things to lug around to get to the bathroom, would have been more of a challenge than I would have cared for.

End of Day 3 post-op, and feeling great !!! How's everyone else doing ?

I would call your doctor's nurse she should be able to answer the question the right way. Most doctor's don't like to do the other because its another proceduBut a lot of doctors are now listen to what makes the patient more at ease. I would talk to his nurse they are good about answer the question. Good luck honey and just so you know I hate all them caths. :)