Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Encouragement needed struggling

Hey all, I could use some encouraging words or advice from those who have been down this path. I am 10 days out, and really struggling with phase 2. My doctor has phase 2 as strained creamed Soups, Greek yogurt, cream of wheat liquified with skim milk, Protein Shakes, and Water. I can't eat anything else until day 15. I am so sick of what I am allowed to have that I dread eating. I know it is only 5 more days but I have been struggling for days already and it is just getting worse. I am craving cottage cheese and more flavorful foods I just want to cry. I really need to know how others got through this phase without going nuts lol. Thanks in advance for listening to my rant.

Grin and bear it. I didn't have that phase exactly, but I did have an all liquid phase. I was over that after a bout a week. Just hang in there!

I know how much it sucks. I wasn't allowed to move past that phase until day 18 post-op. The first time I was allowed cottage cheese and scrambled egg, it was like a miracle. Just tough it out. Make sure you are switching things up with your Soup. I bought pretty much every single kind of creamy soup my grocery store sold so I would have some variety.

Can you try some different flavors of liquid Soups? I bought roasted red pepper, Tomato, Thai sweet potato, and mushroom, cream of broccoli just to break up the monotony. I also had pudding, sugar free Popsicle and fudgesicles, yogurt, broth, sugar free hot chocolate, G2 Gatorade.... It will be over quickly... hang in there!

Put some spicy sauces (like Thai peanut hot sauce) in your chicken Soups.

Otherwise, just suck it up and eat what your doc has prescribed.

It's only five days.

Managing our food compulsions doesn't end when we have WLS. What are you going to do six months from now when you are "going nuts" and want a second piece of pizza?

I so understand!!! I just moved onto purée yesterday! When I was in need for some major flavor and frustrated I would go to the deli and get their Soup. Loaded baked potato or aged cheddar and broccoli were my favorite. I would throw them in my vitamix with Protein Powder and a little almond milk to keep it thinner and it was so good!!

Vsgann I am well aware of that which is why I reached out for support instead of giving in to temptation... and 6 months from now if I am dumb enough to have one slice of pizza and want another I will do the same thing reach out for support. I mean really...I thought this forum was for support not harsh words like suck it up.

Thanks everyone for understanding, it is nice to have people who understand to lean on. I'll keep trying with the different Soups. Thanks guys

@@svelija - It may be hard to hear but sometimes the honest answer is suck it up. Of course try other Soups, but that should have been a given. The bottom line is we all willingly signed up for this. One of the things we now need to work on is the mental game of saying No or stay the course to ourselves.

Oh, I'm SO SORRY!

You poor thing.

I really can't imagine feeling like you feel right now, having to eat only liquids for days after having had major surgery to cut out 85% of your stomach.

How in the world people handle something like that I have no idea!

If I were in your shoes, I would just eat ice cream. I bet that would be so much more soothing.

Bless your heart.

Last night I had Soup I bought from target - chicken tortilla Soup. It's noodle-free but has chicken, black Beans and spices. I put it in the nutribullet with some extra chicken broth to thin it out, and then strained it after to make sure there were no lumps.

It was flavor heaven. Granted it was maybe 6 spoonfuls of it, but MAN having something with flavor really does make a difference.

You can get inventive with your Soups and experiment with spices to stay on plan!

I was in your same shoes. I was bad and ate ahead of time prescribed time table. I started the cream based Soups and yogurts, etc. about a week early. I had no adverse affects from it so I continued on eating these food items. I was really hungry and they did the trick.

Oh, I'm SO SORRY!

You poor thing.

I really can't imagine feeling like you feel right now, having to eat only liquids for days after having had major surgery to cut out 85% of your stomach.

How in the world people handle something like that I have no idea!

If I were in your shoes, I would just eat ice cream. I bet that would be so much more soothing.

Bless your heart.

Wow - little harsh there, eh Ann?

Vsgann I am well aware of that which is why I reached out for support instead of giving in to temptation... and 6 months from now if I am dumb enough to have one slice of pizza and want another I will do the same thing reach out for support. I mean really...I thought this forum was for support not harsh words like suck it up.

Just let that one pass - Ann tends to like to employ tough love with other sleevers. She's harmless.

It's totally normal to feel the way you do. It's a huge adjustment and sometime it feels like it's almost impossible to go through the changes you have to go through. This is the time to learn new habits and behaviors. It's actually a positive thing. :)

Please keep coming back whenever you need support. We are all here for you.

@@HaddocksEyes thanks, I am not trying to jump ahead of schedule, as apparently has been assumed by others on this post :) it is hard. I didn't expect it to be easy, but I wasn't expecting the intolerance for dairy I suddenly have now. And certain flavors are causing bad reflux despite the medication I am on. I am more limited than I expected I guess is my point. I did finally find a Soup flavor I really like so I'll be adding that in to my daily regiment. I really want to change. My nutritionist put it perfect the other day, this surgery is like breaking up with a bad boyfriend. You can kick him out of the house but if you keep answering his calls your are never going to get anywhere. Thanks again to everyone for the kind words I needed to know that you all got through it and I will too :)