Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm still very very new to this entire thing...so far I've only been to the seminar (5 days ago) and right now I'm waiting on insurance verification (office said up to 30 days) so I haven't had a one-on-one consultation and I've been very anxious ever since the seminar.

I realize that this entire process takes time and patience but I feel like I'm ready to start right now! I don't know much about the pre-op diet but during the seminar, the surgeon said 2 weeks before surgery, patients must adhere to the following regimen: 5 units of Protein Meal Replacement (bars or drinks) per day plus one 6 oz. piece of meat (no butter, oil, etc)., and two cups of veggies.

I was thinking about trying it out until I hear back from insurance, but I'm wondering how others have done. Is the pre-op diet pretty standard across the board or do different surgeons have different requirements? What was your pre-op dieting experience like?

No at all. Protocols vary from one doctor to the next for both pre and post op. For me part of the reason to attend the seminar is to figure out if this is the right program for you. I looked at another hospital near me and I didn't like it. I then checked out the program I ended up choosing. This doctor didn't require a pre-op diet. That wasn't the reason I choose him, but in retrospect I'm happy I did. My point is, if you have options of other hospitals in your area, I would check them out. Ask questions and compare programs and then decide which one best meets your needs.

My insurance required a 6 month medically supervised diet before they would approve me. After that I am now half way through my 2 week Pre-Op diet required by the surgeon. I am on a High Protein, 800-900 calorie diet using only the food from my Bariatric Center. There is basically all kinds of special high Protein foods available to me, prepackaged dinners, chips, Cookies, Jello, puddings, Soups, shakes, teas, cocoas and protein bars! I never knew there were such protein food products out there! I cannot add any "normal" foods. strictly their products. When I saw the calorie amount I expected to be starving, but because of the high protein levels I am not really hungry. The first couple of days I was "mentally" hungry, but that has subsided! As a vegetarian who tries to stay away from processed foods this diet feels very odd. But its only 2 weeks and I have one down!

Good luck on your journey! As BLERDgirl said, check out all your options, Ask lots of questions. I also ready a couple of books on the VGS procedure. The more you know the better it is for you!

Be careful. If you lose too much weight on the pre-op surgery diet before you have been approved, some insurance companies will not approve you...knowing you can "do it on your own." Just a word of caution if you are set on having the surgery.

Helen

I would HIGHLY recommend not trying to do the pre-op diet too far in advance. I felt like complete crap the entire time I was on mine and I wouldn't have wanted to do a single extra day of it.

Agree with @@JamieLogical and you'll probably be doing it for at least a few days and quite possibly some weeks after. Eat healthy real food at this point. You'll do better on for surgery if you're healthy going in. I read a lot of books too (still am) and this forum is very helpful.

I started my pre-op diet today. I wouldn't do this any longer than I had to, it's brutal. (This is my second time on the diet since my first surgery was cancelled) I had a headache for 4 days straight last time.

Do your self a favor and follow your surgeons protocol do not start the preop diet earlier than you have to I'm on day six and have 8 days left of Protein Shakes and 2 cups of veggies a day and although it's not as terrible as I expected it's tough knowing I have 2 weeks of liquids after surgery as well. You miss chewing real food. Lol.

All doctors have different views and procedures. Take it slow. There are a lot of other changes to get used to first before the pre-op diet. It will all come in time. Best wishes.

Be careful. If you lose too much weight on the pre-op surgery diet before you have been approved, some insurance companies will not approve you...knowing you can "do it on your own." Just a word of caution if you are set on having the surgery.

Helen

This is exactly my worry. My ins co requires a 3-month medically supervised diet - which I'm starting this coming Thursday with my PCP. I'm worried that if I don't lose any weight, they'll decide I can't follow directions and not approve me but if I lose too much, they'll say I should just do this without surgery. I'm 150 lbs overweight (BMI of 47). Do you all think this is something I should worry about???

Forgot to say that my doc requires a 5% weight loss before surgery. I don't know how long before surgery that weight is supposed to come off. I have my first appt with the nurse practioner tomorrow, so I can ask.

Edited by JustBeth13

As others have said, pre-op diets vary a lot, and there isn't too much to be gained by torturing yourself with it more than is necessary. I would suggest making some gradual diet changes and adopting some behavioral changes that may be helpful to you after surgery. Things like:

• eliminate soda and liquid calories
  • cut back on coffee/caffeine
  • practice eating mindfully: only eat while you are sitting down, no looking at or listening to a lighted screen while eating (tv, computer, phone, tablet), eat slowly
  • no drinking with your meal or for 30 minutes after
  • get a Myfitnesspal account and log everything you eat. Weigh/measure your food so you know exactly how much you are eating.

I completely agree with @Bufflehead. If MFP doesn't meet your needs try Sparkpeople or any other app/food journal site. You just need to get in the habit of tracking how much food you are eating.

I started my liquid diet today and surgery is Feb 20. Im excited and reserved at the same time. Oh and I have a non stop headache. :)