Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Snacking - hard time staying full :/

Hello y'all!

It's been a few months since I've posted here, but I'm now 9 months post op and down 85 lbs. Feeling excited about this, but also feeling it could be more if only I stayed full!!!!

I'll eat a meal, and then w/in an hour be actually hungry again. Like faint, sweaty, really hungry. It's frustrating honestly. I'd love some advice from those of you who have been there.

I can still eat very very little meal food, but of course can pack down the sliders like it's no one's business. If I eat more than a single bite of meat, I vomit, so I stick to salads most often.

I just want to be able to use my sleeve better than I am - I want to be able to eat 3 meals a day and feel good about that without being hungry all the time. Open to any and all suggestions! THANK YOU!

You've got to find a Protein you can tolerate. chicken, shrimp, pork, eggs, something that will linger with you and keep you full. I eat a lot of seafood salad, shredded chicken with gravy, scrambled eggs with cheese...

I do full fat everything because that keeps me satisfied longer as well.

salad isn't filling nor does it "stick". What else are you eating?

I agree. Proteins are what will help keep you full. Here's my handy plant based Protein chart.

protein

Thank you for the responses guys :)

I try to eat oatmeal for Breakfast (also makes me nauseous but I can eat 1/4-1/3 cup), 1/4 pb sandwich for lunch, fruits/veggies w/ hummus as Snacks, and then salad for dinner. This is on days when I deal with the sick hungry feelings. On the bad days, I eat goldfish or chips to get rid of the hungry feeling *keeping it real*.

I'm going to figure out a way to print out that veg Protein chart. And then get back to basics with Protein first. Duh.

@@shahada - If you have a Protein powder you like try adding that to your oatmeal. It will increase the amount of Protein you are getting for the day. I use plain unflavored that I can mix into everything. Try adding black Beans, lentils or even quinoa to your salad. They are also good sources of protein. Greek yogurt is also a good source of protein. I buy FAGE 0%.

I just had revision surgery but when I had the lapband, I found it easier to digest Protein if it was cut up in a salad. I also started to like sliced apples with Peanut Butter as a snack. I'm hoping that I will be able to tolerate these foods with the sleeve. I won't know for a couple of weeks

Thank you for the responses guys :)

I try to eat oatmeal for Breakfast (also makes me nauseous but I can eat 1/4-1/3 cup), 1/4 pb sandwich for lunch, fruits/veggies w/ hummus as Snacks, and then salad for dinner. This is on days when I deal with the sick hungry feelings. On the bad days, I eat goldfish or chips to get rid of the hungry feeling *keeping it real*.

I'm going to figure out a way to print out that veg Protein chart. And then get back to basics with Protein first. Duh.

You are eating carbs, carbs, carbs. You need to find protein you can tolerate.

On old diets, gravy was bad. Are there any better than others?

Protein is my main course an at 8 months out i still only get about 4 or 5 bites..i stay away from salads period. No lettuce here. Protein first an since i dont eat much at all at one time i do snack or eat smaller about 2 or 3 hrs thruout day. It has worked for me an i do not use fat free or low fat. I use the real stuff. If your eating alot of salads its no substance . :)

If your eating alot of salads its no substance .

Except for Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Fiber and depending on your choice of greens even a bit of Protein. Yeah, no substance at all. B)

I eat real food, get 70+ Protein a day and have NEVER been constipated.

Have you tried greek yogurt for breakfast? Ricotta or cottage cheese with some Splenda and cinnamon is a good breakfast too. Oatmeal has too many carbs and no Protein. Have you tried tuna or egg salad? Black Beans with some cheddar cheese? How about some deli turkey or ham rolled up with some cheese or a pickle? Deli meat is usually pretty moist and easy to digest. Definitely need to up your protein and cut the carbs back to feel fuller longer.

Oatmeal has too many carbs and no Protein.< /p>

I eat real oatmeal as in rolled oats. It has 13gms of protein in ½cup . It is also a good source of Fiber which means you may not get constipated. It does contain carbs. Have it for breakfast and as long as you are fairly active throughout the day you should be fine. I prepare mine with Water, and season with vanilla Protein Powder and add a teaspoon of dried cranberries.

You can also make overnight oatmeal by mixing with Greek yogurt, and seasonings and let it sit overnight. This is great if you are often on the go as you can prepare it the night before and just grab & go in the morning.

I can relate to OP's dilemma! I can't eat more than a few bites of meat Protein then feel stuffed. But an hour later I'm hungry again. And keeping it real I will fill up on the snack food because it feels good to eat something and not feel stuffed after a few bites. I'm 6 months out. I have been trying to deal with this recently so that I don't end up in trouble eating carbs and junk food all day. What has been helping me is having a Premier Protein shake in the morning after my coffee -- 30 g of protein in me and I feel full for a long time - I need to sip it over an hour or so because it will give me a stomach ache if I just drink it down. According to my NUT, I should not be having shakes this late in the game, but I'm doing what works. Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt (80 calls/12 g protein) is also a good snack and has good flavor choices. And I love the Cabot 50% cheddar cheese in the individual servings (50 calories, 5 or 6 g protein I think). Just offering what works for me because I think at this stage in the process we all need variety -- I know the above things work for me but I get sick of having them all the time and that's why I've been reaching for the Doritoes/cookies/other horrible choices. Good Luck!

@@Myonlybattle,

I have the same issues. I might only be able to get a very small meal down and an hour or so later I'm sometimes hungry again. But if I have a snack, I'll have some deli meat or a cheese stick or an Atkins snack. It seems to do the trick

It might be better if OP would plan 5 small but nutritious meals. This way you don't morph from snacking to grazing and by planning you can at least make smarter food choices. If that's how your body works, there's no need in fighting it, just make it work for you.