Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much should I be eating at 10 days post op ?

I am 10 days post op after GBS. I was allowed to start eating pureed yesterday and was so thrilled to be done with all liquids. I have already tried pureed boiled egg with Protein laced mayo....delicious. I also tried pureed roast beef with mashed potatoes and carrots. ALL these things being ok with my doctor. I have tolerated everything very well. That actually scares me. So I'd like to see how much others were able to eat 10 days post op. I am measuring my food because I am afraid if I do not I could overeat. I am still required to have two high Protein shakes a day. Any one have any clue how much I should be taking in or how many calories I should aim for? What did you do?

My surgeon starts us on purees from Day 1, so my rate may be different from yours. At 10 days post-op, I was eating about 650-750 calories per day, which I think is somewhat higher than average due to the amount I was working out and burning off.

For Breakfast, I'd have a scrambled egg and 1/2 serving of Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt. For lunch, I'd have 1/4 cup of pureed taco meat and 1/4 cup of refried Beans. For dinner, I'd have1/4 cup of egg salad, the other half of the yogurt cup, and/or some PB2 on a spoon. :) These meals took me about 45 minutes to consume due to the volume of food going in. Over the course of the day, I'd also usually have some chicken broth and some fortified milk mixed (both included in my Water counts) to get enough Protein in.

Hope this helps!

I feel like I am eating 700-800 calories now. Isn't that a lot? I think "If I am eating this now what will I be eating later?" I hope I am doing this right...........

I'm around that like 650-750 on good days that I'm getting my Protein in. And was like that around 10-14 days out

I did special Protein Shakes for 2 weeks after surgery. Then went to soft foods....pureed cottage cheese, greek yogurt, applesauce with vanilla Protein Powder in it, broth is high in Protein and tasted amazing :) I still have trouble getting in all my protein and calories! It's one day at a time :)

Yogurt and cottage cheese and Soups were my friends! In fact, they still are. lol. And then sugar free popsicles kept me sane when I wanted something completely different that also felt like a treat.

I am 3 months post op and only reach around 550 calories a day. I've lost 71 pounds so far. My nut says it is because I'm not shoveling the food in like many people do. I do not eat processed at all. All natural foods, 5, 1/3 cup meals a day.

I am 11 days post op and I am still only eating about 2oz of food per sitting (3 times a day), and sometimes I don't finish all of the 2ozs, I can't imagine eating 1/3 or even 1/4 cup of food. I am still eating soft foods, mostly Beans, some soft veggies, I have only tried purreed chicken and the texture just turned me off so I will wait til I can eat regular chicken. I guess is could be different for each of us, I feel good and I am drinking 2 Protein shakes each day as well. I HATE my Calcium citrate though and have a VERY hard time chewing them. I just ordered two different kinds from Amazon to see if I could find one that I can tolerate.

I'm almost 3 weeks post op & I'm still on liquids. I get to start soft/puree foods Thursday.

I'm still on Clear Liquids plus Protein Shakes. Feb 19th will be 4 weeks post ops I get to move on to Pured foods.

@@12thman, are you in Seattle? Washington?

I'm almost four months out. At your point, I was basically eating as much as I could! Not very much. ¼ cup of food three times a day. Then my PCP upped me to eating six times a day. Today, I still eat 6 times a day, but I am eating 750 calories a day. Still losing.

I suggest you use something like Fitness Pal, or some other food monitoring program that will let you log your food. It really helps!

Also, while we read about dumping, I don't think it is common. I think that as the procedure gets refined, there are fewer problems like that.

Good luck.

@@12thman, are you in Seattle? Washington?

Yes North of Seattle.

@@julia4mom I hated my Calcium too- but I just bought a soft chew from GNC that is dulce de leche flavored and it's fantastic! If what you ordered doesn't work out, give those a try!

There's a great Calcium chew from Bariatrics Advantage (google them) - almost too tasty :o)

Edited by della street