Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

EGD done, found gastritis and esophagitis

Hi everyone. Had my EGD yesterday (which was awful-I woke up during the procedure) and the doc found that I had gastritis and esophagitis. Now I am wondering if I should have the sleeve surgery done. My last appointment before surgery with my surgeon is later this month. I do not want the RNY.

Also, I had to see an internal medicine doc for a physical and he wants a sleep study done. I cannot fathom sleeping in a strange place being hooked up to wires with people watching me sleep. The idea freaks me out. I thought if I had sleep apnea that it would go away after losing weight so it would then be a non-issue. He told me that people with sleep apnea generally have it even after WLS. HUH? Does the machine make you depend on it by using it? I guess I have to do some research on sleep apnea.

Edited by VickiCat

For the sleep study, it's needed before surgery because when your oxygen level drops due to obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), it can significantly impair wound healing. Therefore, if you have apnea, you have to get on CPAP therapy and be compliant before you'll be cleared for surgery.

No, using CPAP therapy does not make you dependent on it. But it can take a long time to lose enough weight to no longer have apnea. Plus, not all apnea is weight related. Some people have OSA and are below goal weight.

Thank you for commenting Croaker!!

The gastritis and esophagitis found during your EGD shouldn't impact your surgical course much. Most likely you will be put on medication to help clear it up. I had no symptoms prior to my EGD either. Turns out I had gastritis and an ulcer. I had to start medication to help heal my stomach, but it didn't impact my surgical preparations. I suggest calling the surgeons office and talking with their nurse. You should be able to get information about the impact the EGD results will have.

I understand completely how you feel about doing the sleep study. My PCP thought I should have one several years ago but I didn't see how I could do it let alone learn to sleep with a CPAP machine and mask!

Long story short my surgeon required it (not the insurance) so I did the study and was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. Had to do a second titration study and get set up with the machine. Used it successfully for several weeks before I was cleared for surgery.

I've learned to love my CPAP. I sleep so well and feel so much better. It was actually blessing.

Please google sleep apnea. It is a very dangerous disease and has potential complications as severe as diabetes. Believe me if I can do it you can too!????

I have sleep apnea. I also felt how am I gonna be able to sleep with these wires and cameras bit you do sleep. My room was set up like a hotel so it wasn't so hospital looking. I have the CPAP machine as well. It took a little getting used to because i was worried about pulling the tube out when i toss and turn. My boyfriend however, says I have become a pro in my sleep. Without even knowing I'm doing it I fling that tube around so I can move, he also loves that my snoring has stopped. It does help with sleep though and before you know it you will wonder how you slept without it. My surgeon said I must be compliant with using my machine because ot helps them during surgery too. If you are compliant he said it helps with being able to intubate during surgery.

Thanks to all of you so, so much. It is so comforting to read your comments and all of the info that you share on here. I hope I can eventually return the favor for others.

I ALWAYS have to get up to pee during the night-one or two times. How does that work being hooked up to a bunch of wires? :)

Thanks!

During the sleep study if you wake up and have to pee you just let them know and they will help. Once home and on the machine though(if it's needed for you) you simply detach the hose from the mask and go to the bathroom when done attach the hose and go back to sleep

I ALWAYS have to get up to pee during the night-one or two times. How does that work being hooked up to a bunch of wires? :)

Thanks!

I told the technician the same thing. She showed me that there is a quick disconnect, to detach yourself from the machine. She told me if I woke up and had to pee, just say her name and she would come in and unhook me (there is a microphone in your room). I told her she would have about half a second to get the job done.

When I did wake up to pee, I'm not even sure I finished saying her name before she was in my room! She unclipped me, threw the wires over my shoulder, and I was in the bathroom in no time!