Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had severe apnea diagnosed as part of my pre-surgery workup and began CPAP therapy. It made a world of difference in the quality of my sleep. I am currently 15 pounds under my goal weight and maintaining. I have been having difficulty sleeping with my machine of late and thought perhaps I did not need it any longer with the weight loss. I went without it for a few weeks but noted that I was getting really tired again. My pulmonologist just did a home sleep study and I still do have apnea, just not as severe. They switched me to an auto BIPAP machine and I love it. Therapy is nothing to be intimidated by and it really does make a difference. If I was starting out, I would have discussed BIPAP therapy from the beginning. Sleep apnea should not be taken lightly. We are all on this journey to become more healthy and this was a big step in my journey. Good luck to everyone.

I'll have my machine for a week on Thursday, and I have yet to get that wonderful night's sleep!! I have a bipap with a nose mask. I'm having a hard time keeping it on at night! I fall asleep with it but wake up not being able to stand keeping it on my face! Has anyone else dealt with this like me? And how long does it normally take to get used to it to get that great night's sleep? :(

Edited by mclorrie

mclorrie... If you require a high pressure on the cpap machine sometimes it's difficult to get used to. I'm a nurse practitioner in pulmonary/sleep/critical care. What we do, for people experiencing difficulty with prescribed cpap is lower the pressure and increase it to goal over time. You can request a follow up appointment with whoever is managing your sleep apnea. They can take a look at the smart card in the machine too.

I also sometimes have a bit of a problem keeping the mask in position at night. At first, when I was chubbier, the mask fit properly - no breeze shooting out while I slept. Later, as I got thinner, the mask got leaky. I can probably get a better fitting mask/device but I am too lazy to go and get another at this time. To cope what I do at the moment is give myself a fantasy that I am at my dream home at the beach, and I am sleeping with the window open and with the breeze flowing in. (I have a vivid fantasy life, but don't ask me any more than that about it! ) Also: for those experiencing air shooting out of the mask at times during the night - there are different masks, including a smaller one which fits under the nostrils. This might be better for some, but the size of the device hooked up to one's nose looked to me as if I would gradually develop a nose as wide as railway tunnels. My nose is as wide as I care to have it, but others might want to check out a different breathing attachment. Just an observation.

I was pressured by my internist for years to get a sleep study done. I just didn't see the value of it since I didn't have sleep troubles. My surgeon requires it so I could no longer put it off. I did have sleep apnea big time. I have had a my a-pap for about 4 weeks now. I have worn it religiously every night for at least 7 hours. The first 10 days or so, were rough. I just couldn't make it comfortable and got a nasty sore on my face too. I didn't give up tho, and now it is fine. I honestly don't feel any different in the mornings but I am glad that it is better for my health to use it.

Hindsight being 20/20, if I had to do this all over again, the FIRST thing I would do is schedule the sleep study. I just finished all of my pre-op doctor visits and clearances, and I started the process in December. Due to severe snow, I canceled the sleep study in January, not realizing how long it takes to get results back, etc. I had my first sleep study on January 22nd, and it took over two weeks to get the results. Turns out I have severe sleep apnea, which is actually a blessing because I needed it to get cleared for surgery! You have to have a second sleep study to get fitted for the mask, which I had on February 9th. THEN, Medicare had to approve my cpap machine, and I am still waiting for it!! So, I rented one because I didn't want to wait 4-6 weeks for the machine, and my pulmonary doctor wouldn't give me clearance for surgery until I got it. SO, long story short, DO YOUR SLEEP STUDY ASAP if you want to have surgery quickly!! Now I have to wait for Medicare to approve me, but with sleep apnea, GERD, degenerative disc disease, osteo-arthritis, a fused right ankle and being pre-diabetic, my doctor said Medicare should approve me with no problem. I would be DEVASTATED if I got denied! This process has been very long and stressful, and I just cannot wait to start my life again. The best of luck to all going through the pre-approval process!!!

I was also diagnosed with sleep apnea and go in tomorrow night to sleep with my machine so that they can adjust it.

@@mclorrie - I hope you get yours adjusted for a good nights rest soon.

Thank you for your responses! I have f/u appointment scheduled next month. I might take my mask with me to see they can adjust it properly. If that doesn't work, I'll look into getting something different. I would think the nostril ones come in different sizes... At least I hope so!

@@Cococat - I do the same thing! I imagine myself in "my happy place" on the beach with the warm trade winds blowing! LOL!!

@@mykdzmom - Thank you!! I was replying on my phone earlier, and didn't see your message. It could of been we were posting at the same time! :)

Edited by mclorrie

Could have been :) they are supposed to try different masks during "titration" Thursday so I can't wait to see what superhero I will be! Lol

I just had my sleep study done last night. It wasn't bad at all. But this morning I got a letter from my insurance company that the 'Outpatient Hospital Diagnostic Medical' is not medically necessary. Unfortunately it is Saturday and I can't call my insurance company or doctor. So now I am scared that the sleep study may not be covered, and the nurse said they normally cost about $3000! I'm very nervous now.

I have had my lap band for six days now and I am miserable not in the way of not being able to eat or anything but I have been having the worst anxiety attacks ever I don't know how to control them and it makes me feel like I want to go and get my band removed and just start exercising and eating right because I don't like this feeling it is awful and I start work on Monday and today is Saturday

Has anybody else have this feeling and overcome and I really really need some great advice or someone to talk to

I just had my sleep study done last night. It wasn't bad at all. But this morning I got a letter from my insurance company that the 'Outpatient Hospital Diagnostic Medical' is not medically necessary. Unfortunately it is Saturday and I can't call my insurance company or doctor. So now I am scared that the sleep study may not be covered, and the nurse said they normally cost about $3000! I'm very nervous now.

How were you able to get the sleep study done without prior approval from your insurance company? Most sleep study places want prior approval from your insurance company unless you are self pay.

It sounds as if Tamlynn88's doctor's office did not coordinate everything right. The fact that she just had the sleep study done, only to hear the very next day that the insurance might not cover the test, shows that the doctor's office should have checked this out beforehand, IMHO, of course. They should have given her a few days to hear back from the insurance company before scheduling the test.

Incidentally, this month's Discover Magazine has a good article about sleep apnea and how many diseases it is involved in. They make a good argument pro sleep apnea testing. It is a serious condition.

This sounds so odd. My doctor wouldn't schedule the sleep study until he had approval from my insurance. I assumed everyone did this.

I'm wondering if this was just a miscommunication of some kind. Hopefully on Monday the insurance can reassure you that they will be covering the procedure ????