Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February/March 2015 Self Payers in Mexico

I would go with a different doctor. I've read many people who were totally satisfied, but I've also read of many complications. I did a lot of research and I went with Dr. Ariel Ortiz, but there are other doctors I would have also felt comfortable going with. Dr Almanza is not one of them.

I'll be having surgery March 20, the day after tomorrow, with Dr. Jose Rodriguez. I'm so ready!

How did everything go ? :)

It went great, thank you! I feel good and had no gas pain or other issues to speak of.

I see you're researching doctors. Please, be very, very careful in making your selection. There are a few great doctors out there, and a few not so great. If you put the doctor's names in the search bar at the upper right of this page you'll find tons of posts that may be helpful to you. Hopefully, none of the posts have been removed.

Thanks Rocky! I'm back and feeling good.

I saw that announcement here yesterday, too.

I don't have a clue why bariatricpal added Dr. Almanza to their team. I think a lot of the complications that have happened they just don't know about. However, I did go with Dr. Zavalza and I had a wonderful experience with him. I definitely recommend him for sure..m Almanza...no way

Rocky, I tried warning Alex that having Dr. Almanza on his team is going to give them a bad name quick. As I'm reading on here its already happening.

Dr ismael cabrera thoughts on him ?

I was sleeved by Dr. Cabrera one month ago. Nothing but wonderful things to say! My gf who came with me used him 2 years ago as well. Good luck with your choice!

Let me first state, I am a nurse, for 27 years, I have worked in various intensive care units, around the county. So my opinion on who I chose is based on my experiences with surgeons throughout my career. I have seen butcher jobs, failures and great success stories, of various patients, including bariatric patients. So my list started with relatively just a few doctors, as I quickly ruled many out. My next step was the interview with the patient coordinator. Again, the list of doctors became very short (some never returned e-mails or calls, and some answered my questions and concerns, and some, appeared to give generalities verses specifics - appeared to skirt the question). In the end I choose Dr Elias Ortiz, with A Lighter Me. I did not choose the program, I choose the doctor and to date, I feel I made an excellent choice. I felt the the care I received in Mexico was as good, if not better than the care I received in the States (I have previously had my gall bladder removed). My nurses all spoke English. The floor I was on, had only 8 beds and there was 2 nurses at all times (patient ratio 4:1 - which is probably unmatched for a regular Medical Surgical Unit, here in the States). I had scheduled pain medication, anti-nausea medication, IV antibiotics and IV stomach acid reducer. I was given lovenox, a blood thinner, to prevent clots post operation. I was also compression stockings (although I brought my own) to prevent blood clots post operation. I hope this helps and you make a choice that is best for you and anyone searching for the right doctor.

Dr ismael cabrera thoughts on him ?

I was sleeved by Dr. Cabrera one month ago. Nothing but wonderful things to say! My gf who came with me used him 2 years ago as well. Good luck with your choice!
Thank you I believe I am going to go with him this May :)

Are you guys staying at the Marriott. I am having surgery on March 30 at the OCC Dr ortiez

I'll be there March 31. My surgery is April 1 with Dr ariel ortiz.

I'm scheduled for April 14th in Mexico. What have been your payments plan?

I was asked to pay my coordinator and not the hospital.

Is this how it works for everyone?