Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February/March 2015 Self Payers in Mexico

Kimmorgan and Moonsago, I hope to see you both there next week! I am excited and scared which is preventing me from sleeping. Hopefully when its done next week, I can finally get some sleep.< /p>

I'll be having surgery March 20, the day after tomorrow, with Dr. Jose Rodriguez. I'm so ready!

I'll be having surgery March 20, the day after tomorrow, with Dr. Jose Rodriguez. I'm so ready!

Good luck tomorrow!

Thank you!

I have not received my confirmation yet. I should be receiving the information tomorrow or Tuesday to confirm all items prior to my departure on Thursday. I cannot believe that by the end of this week, I will be sleeved and starting my new life.

I had my surgery on March 20th and Dr. Francisco Zavalza was my bariatric surgeon. I am currently still in Tijuana and will do a full review of my experience when I get back home. Nothing but wonderful things to say :) I am in no pain, no complications (which was my biggest fear) and I am being well taken care of. If you have any questions please feel free to ask

Hi All,

I'm 3 weeks post-op from my sleeve surgery on March 4th. I wanted to pay-it-forward and share my detailed experience in Mexico. I can only hope that it will help at least one reader gain some additional insight on this experience. Besides, I was helped by so many with their stories. Here's mine... here goes...

(***** warning long post ******)

_______

Tuesday, March 3rd - Travel Day - It's really here!!!!!

I arrived in San Diego, CA airport; flight was delayed due to weather in Atlanta. Either way, I didn't get in until 7:00pm local. However, the driver, Ricardo, was at the airport and I Iiterally walked out of the airport and into the waiting van. Love the curbside service. His English was very good.

Arriving in Mexico was truly uneventful - only took 35 mins - until we came through the section where there were no real traffic lights and cars came out of every direction imaginable. I'm used to driving in New York and Europe so it didn't phase me, but my ex-police officer cousin was on edge. Imagine that! Got in late so the nurse had to come to my hotel room to take my blood. Didn't quite like that, but it would help with surgery the next day. The Tijuana Marriott was just like being in the states. Nothing at all any different. I travel a lot and felt quite at home.

Wednesday, March 4th - SURGERY DAY - My journey begins....

I met my sleeve buddy for the first time in the hotel lobby. My best-friend cancelled - she was not getting the support from her parents and couldn't mentally pull it off due to job demands. She says she will do it at a later day - hope she does.

We had to go to a separate location to have the EKG done. The office didn't look like a clinic, but some things are just different. EKG was fine even though the nerves reality kicked in and I felt my heart would jump out of my chest and do the EKG for me.They took my weight; elated to learn that I lost 20 pounds on the pre-op diet. Yippie.

We were taken straight to VIDA Hospital - beautiful, absolutely beautiful place. Dr. alejandro lopez was my surgeon. They prepped me for surgery, but couldn't get a vein because I was dehydrated - possibly from the flight. After getting stuck 3 times, I had to stop them and say a prayer. I knew I hadn't come this far to be rescheduled. A more experienced nurse, Fatima, came in and with some work was able to find a vein for the IV. I chatted with the anesthesiologist and was taken back for surgery. I remember singing a tune - "good-bye fat, hello health," and was completely out in seconds. The next memory is waking up in recovery. Man, that is some strong stuff.

I was up and walking within the first hour in the recovery room. My cousin states that I was so out of it that I was bossy and commanding the nurses to do stuff - bring me ice chips, check my temperature, take my blood pressure, etc. While they did it all, they probably had a few choice words for me - drugged, crazy lady from the states would be putting it mildly. LOL My cousin reports that I would not open my eyes while walking. I have no memory of this at all - drugged out of my head. LOL

I ate the ice chips and started dry heaving. It was an awful feeling. I had to pray that this would not be the norm for me. I went to sleep - slept a lot and slept well. I drank the leak test stuff and had no problem keeping it down. Tried ice chips again and it was better. Now I was ready to test my bodily functions - ability to pass urine - Bladder works A+; started belching and passing gas - bowel function B+; need to have a bowel movement before I could make it an A+. Mom is a retired nurse, so it's that part of her talking to me. My sleeve buddy was having a rough time was very nauseated. I had her get up and walk with me more. I think I slept for what felt like hours, but it was really for 40 minutes at a time and then I would walk more. I'm telling you the drugs are amazing.

Thursday, March 5th - Day 1 Post-Op

The next day was much better. I was handling the ice chips really well. The doctors came in and told me I had a hernia that had to be repaired. I didn't even know what a hernia was, let alone needing to have it repaired. I was thinking, I have some other things that needed repairing too, but you didn't fix them - breast lift would be nice.

We were taken to our recovery suites which were like hotel rooms. I slept a lot there and walked a lot without an IV pole, which helped. The drainage pump was still attached, but didn't bother me. I showered with this thing and had no problems. The five (5) incisions were much smaller than I imagined.

I was good - able to hold apple juice, Gatorade, Water with no problems. I had no sensation of hunger or thirst but drank because this is what I was supposed to do. And then I started hearing this growling noise. The doctor stated it was my "ghost stomach." Freaked me out for a minute. I ain't scared of no ghosts but definitely didn't want my body thinking I still had the old part of my stomach either. This lasted for a day and then went away. Whew. I couldn't take that. The rest of my time was truly uneventful. I was doing well with the liquids, taking showers, didn't feel any pain, even after the surgery. My issue was keeping the IV line open which failed when my vein completely collapsed. They ended up giving me meds through 2 shots in my butt. Hurt like the dickens but I was done with IVs. Hallelujah!!!

Friday, March 6th - Back to the hotel, my last night in Mexico

We had one stop by make before the hotel and that was the clinic for the 3rd and final Leak test - the first was during the surgery. The liquid was not as bad as I'd heard - perhaps that was because I probably liked anything at that point. The leak test was successful. It was really cool seeing the liquid flow all the way through my system. I actually saw my new tummy too. How cool - my new sleeve, my little angel that will help me reclaim my health through weight loss.

Fast-forward to week 3

I have had no problems with my sleeve. I tried a Gas-X one day and nearly threw up on the spot. My stomach hates that stuff. I decided to walk so the remaining gas away. I was amazed that I still had some gas lingering. I'm grateful I have not had the major pain it can bring, but walking, talking small sips, small bites, and chewing your food to a complete liquid substance is the key. Honestly after a few bites and long chewing times, you lose your appetite for much more - 4 bites is usually it for me. Amazing. I remember just a few weeks ago and I would devour everything on my plate - huge servings at that. Now 4 bites - really? Amazing indeed.

Since my pre-op weight loss and surgery on March 4th, I am down 34 pounds. I saw my PCP at 2-weeks post-op and she cut my blood pressure meds in half and stated she will most likely remove me altogether in May. Wonderful thing as I've been on blood pressure meds for 12 years. I've lost tons of inches - everywhere. I took my measurements in January and now showing a whopping 7 inches from my abs, 4 from my chest, and 4 from each thigh and 6 from my hips. Now that's amazing to me. I'll take every pound and every inch. I'll say to others, take your measurements; it's the truer test. :-)

HW: 300lbs

SW: 288lbs

CW: 254lbs

Overall weight loss - 46 lbs.

That's it. Hope this is helpful.

The time has come. I leave for Mexico tomorrow for surgery scheduled on Friday, March 27, 2015. I weighed myself on March 1st to find I was at 313lbs and started my pre-op diet the next day to loose as much before surgery. I can happily say that this morning I weighed in at 289; which translates to a 24lb pre-op weight loss. I am excited and nervous and can't wait to meet the people in Mexico joining me on this journey! See you Moonsago & kimmorgan there :)

Congrats Denelle. Wishing you all the best.

Getting ready to leave to go to the airport. This just got real! In a few hours I will be in Mexico settling in for the night then surgery tomorrow. The past 30 days have flown by!